PDA

View Full Version : Zune 3.0!

Patrickssj6
September 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
http://www.zune.net/en-us/whatsnew.htm

New capacities
We've added 16GB and 120GB devices to the lineup, both with a glossy black front and a black metal back.
Buy from FM
Hear a song you like while listening to the radio on your Zune? Your device will identify it, and download it the next time you sync.
Browse Zune Marketplace wirelessly
Download music directly to your Zune: at home, at a café… wherever there's a wireless hotspot.
Zune has partnered with high-speed Internet access provider Wayport to let customers wirelessly shop Zune Marketplace on their player at more than 9,800 McDonald's restaurants across the U.S.
New Zune Originals
Even more designs for you to personalize your Zune.
Zune Channels
Combining the best features of podcasts and playlists, subscribe to channels by Billboard, The FADER, and radio stations like KROQ and KEXP.
Games
You can now play games on your Zune! Devices come preloaded with Texas hold 'em and Hexic.
Audiobooks
One of our most-requested features is here: audiobooks on your Zune, from Audible.com and OverDrive.
Clock
You'll never again wonder what time it is.

Mixview, Just for You, and Now Playing
Dynamic representations of your collection, as well as artist and song recommendations based on what you and other members of the Social are listening to.
Rich search functionality
Zune software will offer you suggestions as you type, helping you find the name of an artist or band even if you don't know the correct spelling.
Social in the software
Set your favorite tracks, update your profile, change your status, and search for other Social members — all from within the software.

Windows Live Messenger integration
See your Windows Live Messenger contacts in the Social, and invite them to join with a click of the mouse.
New reputation badges
Get recognized for being a top reviewer or top forum poster.
E-mail notifications
Get a weekly digest of your friends' activities and real-time notifications of new messages and comments.
More play data
In addition to number of total plays, now see how many times a track has been added as a favorite or sent to a friend.

http://www.zune.net/NR/rdonlyres/18C63A92-DAD7-4BA2-95D8-2DA8BD079DB3/0/590x480homepage_withperiods.jpg
http://www.zune.net/NR/rdonlyres/04BD0082-49AD-4317-BFB0-3E7C27A9058D/0/470x187device.jpg

:awesome:

Zeph
September 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I'll definately get this before I start the drive from east TN to San Diego for GDC 2k9. I'm in dire need of an mp3 player for the trip and Zune is looking much better than an iPod right now.

Saggy
September 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
These things can play videos, right? If so, what format?

k4is3rxkh40s
September 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
These things can play videos, right? If so, what format?

Last time I used a zune, it was WMV only that goes onto it, but you can convert the videos in the program, but takes a really long time for each video, and unless you have the right version of wmv it has to completely convert it again

Patrickssj6
September 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I mean it's awesome. The first Zune is almost 2 years old and they still update the firmware for all the Zunes and all of them have the same features.

Way to go Microsoft!

Also, there is a pre-installed Zune Encoder Profile so most of the Video Editing/Converting program can use it.

thehoodedsmack
September 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Yay! This must be what that Zune Update was earlier today! The Zune is really making it big now-a-days. They're selling them in Canada now, too. I especially like that new radio recognition feature.

Syuusuke
September 16th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Finally Wi-fi has a better use besides zune-to-zune interface...

...you know what that means right? =)

jcap
September 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
After upgrading your Zune's device firmware to 3.0, what backgrounds does everyone have? I had the default one before (I liked it) and now it's a completely blank and boring slate. Why.

Edit: So it seems they removed the default background in this version...idiots...why take a step backwards :|

Who has a link to the old wallpaper so I can set as background? :-/

Kornman00
September 16th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I'll definately get this before I start the drive from east TN to San Diego for GDC 2k9.
Drive? Wouldn't it be cheaper and faster to fly :confused: (gas, food, car maintenance after the fact, etc)

alby
September 17th, 2008, 01:03 AM
These things can play videos, right? If so, what format?They can play H.264 MP4. To convert to MP4 I use Allok video to MP4 converter. It is much faster and better than the Zune software at converting.

Patrickssj6
September 17th, 2008, 09:05 AM
After upgrading your Zune's device firmware to 3.0, what backgrounds does everyone have? I had the default one before (I liked it) and now it's a completely blank and boring slate. Why.

Edit: So it seems they removed the default background in this version...idiots...why take a step backwards :|

Who has a link to the old wallpaper so I can set as background? :-/
You can reset it inside the Zune...maybe it's still there. Worth a try I guess.

Drive? Wouldn't it be cheaper and faster to fly :confused: (gas, food, car maintenance after the fact, etc)
Maybe for the landscape? :eyesroll:

They can play H.264 MP4. To convert to MP4 I use Allok video to MP4 converter. It is much faster and better than the Zune software at converting.

You can speed it up by putting ZuneEnc.exe to a higher priority...it's "low" by default.

dg
September 17th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Clock
You'll never again wonder what time it is.

"New feature." Love it.

I also love the FM tagging.

Kalub
September 17th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Want... wifi internet browser!

Masterz1337
September 17th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I'll stick with my iPhone.

Patrickssj6
September 18th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I'll stick with my iPhone.
I'll stick with my computer.

Seriously.

BobtheGreatII
September 18th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Want... wifi internet browser!

Is it possible to do it with the xna 3.0 update coming out soon? I mean I've seen people make chat systems for the wifi, Could it be much harder to make a quick internet browser?

EDIT: Can someone tell me the name of the song in the video on the first page of zune.net?

jcap
September 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
EDIT: Can someone tell me the name of the song in the video on the first page of zune.net?

Walter Meego - Wanna Be a Star
http://www.last.fm/music/Walter+Meego/_/Wanna+Be+a+Star

BobtheGreatII
September 18th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks a ton.

cheezdue
September 18th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I want. D:

Boba
September 18th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I really like the update, it's pretty nifty.

Patrickssj6
September 20th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Has anyone seen a more sexier Now Playing that this??!

Including changing band pics, number of plays, biography...it's just plain :awesome:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5805/30535639bb4.jpg

Syuusuke
September 20th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Too bad not all artists have it =/

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/ryujin356/znp.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/ryujin356/znp2.jpg

Moving text is an eye candy.

Zeph
September 20th, 2008, 12:00 PM

That's what I thought, after looking at Travelocity and such, but it looks like my professor is set on driving. :\

I'm going to see if my cousin can just fly me out there with his plane.

jcap
September 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, the Now Playing screen is absolutely amazing. It's also a shame they didn't do a simple version of it for the Zune device.

And yeah, they dumped the default background image entirely in 3.0. What the hell?

One thing I can't believe they didn't do anything with is backgrounds. They display nice backgrounds in all of their ads, but none come on the device. The only way to get one like that is to go on their website, dig through several links, and then download them to your computer and sync with your device.

If they were smart, they would have had a "special folder" under the pictures menu which was for Zune backgrounds. This would always sync to the device, but it wouldn't be an actual folder of pictures that would display on the device if you went under the pictures menu. The only way to access what is inside of it is to go under settings > display > background where you can then select the one you want from a list. As you hover over each one, the background would also change to give you a preview of it. You'd then click the center to apply it.

odseraphim
September 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Even though I don't currently have a Zune, I am getting one from Live Search Club soon (ordered it back in '07, and they were backordered).

Anyways, here's a link to the backgrounds for the Zune:
http://www.zune.net/en-US/products/zuneplayers/backgrounds/default.htm

Hope that helps!

Edward Elrich
September 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Still undecided on iPod or Zune, but Zune looks like it'll win my comparison battles. (especially if they make a Zune touch)

Patrickssj6
September 21st, 2008, 02:35 AM
Still undecided on iPod or Zune, but Zune looks like it'll win my comparison battles. (especially if they make a Zune touch)
Why touch :confused: I can choose my music without even taking the protective cover of my Zune because I know where everything is and what button combo brings me where. Impossible with a touch.

The second Zune generation has a touch pad similar thing...and I still prefer my old one. :)

Syuusuke
September 21st, 2008, 09:05 AM
Hey i prefer my old one too, but that broke so I got the 2nd gen one. =D

jcap
September 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I've been experiencing major problems over the past week this has been out. The Zune just randomly freezes if you try to play another song while you're already listening to one. I can't even say how many times I've had to reset my Zune because it's unresponsive.

I'm not the only one, either. http://forums.zune.net/337097/ShowPost.aspx

Syuusuke
September 24th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Not happening to me...

How many songs do you have and which zune do you have?

BobtheGreatII
September 24th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I get the same problem... I currently have over 4,000 songs on my Zune, over 400 pictures and 1 movie. Not sure what it is... but It wouldn't surprise me if the guys over at Zune aren't already trying to fix it... they seem to do a lot for the people who buy the Zune... I mean, I still have the 30gig and every single update has been available to me, and for free... Unlike some other unmentionable brand...

thehoodedsmack
September 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I haven't even got 200 on my 30 gig and it's happening to me. I also get a problem where I have to fast forward or rewind before the time...blip...thing... starts moving.

jcap
September 24th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I have a 30 with about 2000 songs on it and 24 movies.

Also, Wanna Be A Star was just in the season premiere of CSI: NY.

LlamaMaster
September 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I have a 30 with about 2000 songs on it and 24 movies.

Also, Wanna Be A Star was just in the season premiere of CSI: NY.
Holy shit, 24 movies!? How much memory did that take up? Also, is the screen big enough to read subtitles? I'll be getting eaither a zune or an ipod soon, and I'm starting to really lean towards the zune.

Patrickssj6
September 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I have 5 DVDs and about 2000 songs...never froze for me. Also 30 GB one.