PDA

View Full Version : Just a new structure I made

L0d3x
September 17th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I'll let the link do the err...talking.
Yeah, just read the author notes: in short you'll see one of my latest forerunner structures, quicly thrown in a box map to test the playability of the structure.

Enjoy!

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=_ma4_8cS0Vc

Advancebo
September 17th, 2008, 06:07 AM
i cant see much with ur flying around, make a render of it

L0d3x
September 17th, 2008, 06:23 AM
You ask render, I make render:
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7302/screen1ku1.jpg

FluffyDuckyâ„¢
September 17th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Cool, but I don't get it... Is it a map? Like Multiplayer? I'm a noob at this stuff. What is forerunner? :(

MetKiller Joe
September 17th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Maybe it is just me, but the structure in the middle as well as the symbols to the sides of it don't look completely forerunner. The angles just do not fit the archetype, but I think I see what you're trying to get done; it looks good though, whatever it is.

Sel
September 17th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Interesting design, poor modeling.

Hunter
September 17th, 2008, 07:17 AM
luks nice, i lyk the banshees fyting and da ai

Sel
September 17th, 2008, 07:20 AM
luks nice, i lyk the banshees fyting and da ai

wat?

Invader Veex
September 17th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Halo Wars, eh? looks interesting.

TeeKup
September 17th, 2008, 09:03 PM
How boring.

Dontu
September 17th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Modeling is lacking, but the encounter looks good and fun to play, maybe for some sort of climax to that sp level you were designing. In short as stated above rework the model. Your modeling has improved though so keep it up.

L0d3x
September 18th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Interesting design, poor modeling.

Care to elaborate a bit? Any tips how I can make my modeling reflect the interesting design more?

How boring.

What could I add to make it less boring?

Modeling is lacking, but the encounter looks good and fun to play, maybe for some sort of climax to that sp level you were designing. In short as stated above rework the model. Your modeling has improved though so keep it up.

A guy from halomaps said it needed more detail on the lower walls, other than that I don't really know/see what needs improvement... I'm open to suggestions, as I am willing to learn.

Cheers.

Sel
September 18th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Im glad to see you did the cutting thing I mentioned before, but some of the designs you cut in do not look forerunner, while they follow the angles and stuff. Pretty much all I can recommend is play through the campaign again and examine every forerunner structure to get an idea what kind of angles and designs look best, and then give it another shot.

TeeKup
September 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM
What could I add to make it less boring?

Forerunner structures have a reputation of being overly complex in size but simplistic in design(to the naked eye, in actuality they are amazingly complex. Take a look at these structures:

http://www.halowars.fr/images/screenshots/concept08_11_1024.jpg
http://www.halowars.com/images/screenshots/concept08_10_1024.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/9/97/Sacredicon1600.jpg

Also, all major Forerunner structures have a purpose. What is the purpose of yours? To me it looks like half of an arena. You need to add on to the model, try and implement some towers or spires into your structure.

Advancebo
September 18th, 2008, 09:01 PM
maybe its an entrance to a control room

SnaFuBAR
September 19th, 2008, 12:00 AM
doesn't look much of anything forerunner. extremely simplistic with random, nonsensical punch-outs.

Apoc4lypse
September 19th, 2008, 12:08 AM
maybe its an entrance to a control room

close... actually...

doesn't look much of anything forerunner. extremely simplistic with random, nonsensical punch-outs.

meh I thought it looked good in the render, maybe in need of more textural details and some extra stuff.

E: incase anyone missed it this is the same guy working on the single player map/mod who was asking for help with some stuff.

Also my only real complaint atm is the entrances to it, there pretty bland.

E2: Also, I need to talk to you about how u set up that bsp u let me look at.

L0d3x
September 19th, 2008, 04:40 AM

If with the punch-outs you are refering to the things I cut out, and then extruded...well halo wars has almost the exact same things in one of it's structures. That is what I based it off of.

Look at the punch-outs here, you'll see what I mean:

http://halowars.com/images/screenshots/wallpaper.aspx?s=screenshots_e3_1280_003.jpg

As for the simplicity, I'll add to it. Like TeeKup suggested.

SnaFuBAR
September 19th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Yours looks nothing like that though. Yours look awful.

L0d3x
September 19th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Yet most of the shapes I used are almost identical to it...
Now, how about some constructive criticism. What could I do to improve it?

Any tools you recommend that could be helpful?

Evil_Monkey
September 19th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I personally think if it was structured into the earth it would look better rather than being on concrete/metal. I also think you should use better textures/shaders.

Also what's the song?

L0d3x
September 19th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Oh absolutely, this thing is going to sit in a cliffy area, that's why the backsides are so bland btw. And the song...well I just threw in something off of youtube (I used the new audioswap feature and chose a random song).

Artist: CIRC
Song name: A Reason

Apoc4lypse
September 19th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Actually snaf has a point, but if your just basing off of it, it doesn't need to be identical.

The shapes you have punched out (black/dark sections on the model) don't seem shaped correctly, and they don't appear on thehalowars model.

I think if you add more the the first level with the entrances it will look nicer though and more completed.

DOMINATOR
September 20th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Now, how about some constructive criticism. What could I do to improve it?

Any tools you recommend that could be helpful?
the thing is there is no detail on the players level... sure looks ok in renders but rather bland when you are running through the map.
halowars can get away with it because there is enough action going on around the player they wont notice the plain structures.

make the entrance to the hallways a different shape than the hallway itself and make a lil door jam or w/e. (this sections should extrude a little from the structure)
bevel the edges where the floor meets the wall... doesnt have to be all the way around. you can section it up like bevel section then 90 angle section then bevel etc...
make a small section or piece to place in front of the entire structure... will act as a bunker/cover for the enemy. making the player flank and take a different path instead of just running straight in.
also instead of the structure being an exact mirror extend one side more. like take one side, extrude and angle it back the other way. if you do this then you can make the section extend down, opening another option of Z axis instead of just X,Y. now the player has to look up and down instead of right and left.
cliffs like you mentioned should help break up the symmetry too.