PDA

View Full Version : RAM Comparison

Cortexian
September 21st, 2008, 10:20 PM
Corsair 4GB XMS2-8500D Dominator TWIN2X Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 2GB) w/ Airflow Fan (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX20277(ME).aspx)

vs

OCZ 4GB PC2-8500 Reaper HPC 4GB Edition Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 2GB) (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX20232(ME).aspx)

Looking for performance RAM here, I'm going to be upgrading to 8GB of RAM soon (two of each set I decide to buy) and I want it to be FAST.

From the reviews I've read it seems that the Corsair RAM is definitely fast, but I'm not sure if it's worth it for the price. The OCZ RAM is decent, and very well priced, but I've heard you have to fiddle with it to get it running at the advertised speed of 1066 (I'd rather not fiddle with my RAM at this point)...

InnerGoat
September 21st, 2008, 10:35 PM
The Corsair kit is not worth almost doubling the price... Unless you want your SuperPI to be 0.02 seconds faster. :-3

Zeph
September 21st, 2008, 10:41 PM
They're literally both the same.

Cortexian
September 21st, 2008, 10:49 PM
The Corsair kit is not worth almost doubling the price... Unless you want your SuperPI to be 0.02 seconds faster. :-3
Corsair it is! They also look cooler, must I point this out! :cop:

Amit
September 21st, 2008, 11:12 PM
Way to pull another "I need GPU suggestions but i'm buying the one you say suck!" thread. I dunno, is anyone actually gonna be looking at your RAM?

Cortexian
September 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM
Way to pull another "I need GPU suggestions but i'm buying the one you say suck!" thread. I dunno, is anyone actually gonna be looking at your RAM?
I was kidding around... And yes, people look at my RAM, I attend LAN parties and a cool looking system enlarges my e-peen. Seriously though, I'll probably just end up picking up the OCZ stuff, and if I hurry, for under $100 each...

Xetsuei
September 21st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Why do people even bother making these threads anyway? There will be X option which they are more familiar with/are "moar pretty", and then Y option which everyone will say to get. In the end, they end up getting X. Would people please stop making these threads unless they are actually going to take our advice? Thanks.

Cortexian
September 21st, 2008, 11:29 PM
Why do people even bother making these threads anyway? There will be X option which they are more familiar with/are "moar pretty", and then Y option which everyone will say to get. In the end, they end up getting X. Would people please stop making these threads unless they are actually going to take our advice? Thanks.
I am taking peoples advice, no one really stated any detailed advice except for 'get this ram', I'd like a reason please. Otherwise your opinion is no better than my opinion.

legionaire45
September 21st, 2008, 11:36 PM
The Corsair is fast and will probably overclock a bit better then the OCZ due to the fan and the fact that it is a bit more expensive (usually means better ICs). Not sure what the timings are but off hand I would guess that the Corsair has tighter timings.

If you don't plan on overclocking I'd recommend getting the OCZ set. It's cheaper and should still have a bit of OC'ing headroom if you need it.

For you? I'd say the OCZ is probably best. The price isn't justified for the Corsair.

Also, if you live in the US buy from Newegg instead.

Zeph
September 21st, 2008, 11:37 PM
The Corsair is fast and will probably overclock a bit better then the OCZ due to the fan and the fact that it is a bit more expensive (usually means better ICs). Not sure what the timings are but off hand I would guess that the Corsair has tighter timings.

If you don't plan on overclocking I'd recommend getting the OCZ set. It's cheaper and should still have a bit of OC'ing headroom if you need it.

Also, if you live in the US buy from Newegg instead.

They have the same timings.

Cortexian
September 21st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Alright, well like I said, I've read a couple reviews that state the following(quoted from one review):

Weakness:
* needs to be overclocked, initially boots at DDR2 800 speeds with higher timings. Requires manual configuration to reach advertised speeds. (Not really a weakness, just be aware)
* Needs Power, 2.15V Min for advertised speeds.

Make sure your motherboard is up to the task.

So if that's true, I'll be FORCED to overclock the RAM to 1066 manually, as well as up the amount of power to the RAM. I can do this no problem and I've done it before with my current RAM, however I'd rather not have to do that.

Xetsuei
September 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
I am taking peoples advice, no one really stated any detailed advice except for 'get this ram', I'd like a reason please. Otherwise your opinion is no better than my opinion.

Dr did, but you said Corsair anyway.

Get OCZ.

Syuusuke
September 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
It was a joke.

Cortexian
September 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
It was a joke.
Winner.

alby
September 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Maybe this (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2328804,00.asp) and this (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/4gb-memory-overclocking,2024.html) will help you in your search for new ram.

Cortexian
September 24th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Yea, gonna get the OCZ...