PDA

View Full Version : Halo Mods Makes A Difference

paladin
October 6th, 2008, 08:21 PM
After school was over last year, unlike most people I was excited to begin the new school year. My school just adopted a new major and line of classes that focus on video game design and the more business side of the video game industry. i.e. Marketing. One of my professors is a former Xbox Live GM and producer of several video games and she has just landed me an internship with a new game studio as an environment artist. When I submitted my portfolio, she and the producers were impressed with the consistency of sticking to the same mod for such a long time. (noted that about 75% of my portfolio was either models or levels that I made for halo)

I just thought it would be nice to let everyone know that even tough he game is entirerly out of date, it really looks good to furture employers that you can be so dedicated. If this internship follows through with a job, I would definantly have tosay this community is responsible for everything I've learn and accomplished.

I'll try to post some of the stuff I work on in the future, if anyone is interested.

jngrow
October 6th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Awesome. Only thing I don't get is how you intern for environment artist. Like what would you do.

Anyways again, that's awesome, lucky, but also awesome and deserved. I hope this goes somewhere for you.

StankBacon
October 6th, 2008, 09:02 PM
congrats.

Kalub
October 6th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Well tits man

SnaFuBAR
October 6th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Congrats. Keep in touch with me via MSN. I'd love to see your work post-internship.

Kalub
October 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Wait a second here.....

Kalub
October 6th, 2008, 09:07 PM
*ORGASMN* Oh yea officially leet, now I won't post anywhere else, but :conspiracy: to keep my :conspiracy: the same length as :conspiracy(ies):.

And yea dude, keep me updated I loved workin with you on that Helicopter design.

Hotrod
October 6th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Wow, good job. Who knew that modding a game could get you a job?

rossmum
October 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
The guys who made CS apparently

Also, congrats. Keep us posted :)

TheGhost
October 6th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Hey, great job! I know a bunch of people who have now taken their Halo modding to a real full-time job. It definitely shows that if you are talented, this sort of thing can definitely pay off.

mech
October 6th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Do you have a portfolio website, if so linky linky.

Grats on the job.

Sel
October 7th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Nice.

Wish my school would teach something like that, but of course we have dickhead administrators who ban pretty much anything cool on the spot for various hollow reasons.

ex: Video game courses could be related to violence :|

MetKiller Joe
October 7th, 2008, 08:19 AM
That's awesome. I wish you luck, but it seems that you really deserved this from what everybody else has said.

What college is this?

Con
October 7th, 2008, 09:44 AM
congrats, keep us updated

Warsaw
October 7th, 2008, 07:14 PM
What college is this?

This. Seriously.

Also, congrats man. :D

Cortexian
October 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I did the exact same thing, but I won a $8000 scholarship instead. Most of the portfolio that I submitted was either HALO mods or map related content, the rest was web page design stuff. I'm attending a school that focus completely on the arts though, and I'm attending a 3D Modeling course for a few years.

PopeAK49
October 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Ya Paladin does some great 3d work. Wow dude i hope i get as lucky as you some day.

Zeph
October 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
After school was over last year, unlike most people I was excited to begin the new school year. My school just adopted a new major and line of classes that focus on video game design and the more business side of the video game industry. i.e. Marketing. One of my professors is a former Xbox Live GM and producer of several video games and she has just landed me an internship with a new game studio as an environment artist. When I submitted my portfolio, she and the producers were impressed with the consistency of sticking to the same mod for such a long time. (noted that about 75% of my portfolio was either models or levels that I made for halo)

I just thought it would be nice to let everyone know that even tough he game is entirerly out of date, it really looks good to furture employers that you can be so dedicated. If this internship follows through with a job, I would definantly have tosay this community is responsible for everything I've learn and accomplished.

I'll try to post some of the stuff I work on in the future, if anyone is interested.

The only thing out of date with Halo 1's engine is the shading and lighting. Technology-wise (in the sense of how content is used and managed), it's on par with UT 2k4 and superior to UT3 in the sense of memory management. It's development suite is also extremely artist friendly.

Donut
October 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
i fucking hate living in rhode island.
no school has game design classes. any computer related class in general around here is severely retarded with the exception of a summer "camp" i go to at my local community college for 3d modeling and game design using maya 2009(?) and Unity3d (although 5 days really isnt alot of time to learn a whole damn engine)
i swear to christ, my highschool wants me to take 2 semesters of "the arts" electives. well every year one semester needs to be a physical education and health class thing. im in compter programming as an elective this year, my sophmore year, which means the next two years my electives have to be something like pottery or "art" class (drawing for dummies?), or maybe even acting class :puke:
however, a computer elective which focuses on amatur 2d art in some image editor for web deisgn does not count as a "the arts" class.
/rant

edit: oh and congrats on the internship

Warsaw
October 8th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I am having a hard time finding a school in VA with game design classes, and VA has no shortage of schools...

SuperSunny
October 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Good work! Halo has helped me too, as I've included my work in my portfolio for college applications! It's steps behind what you're doing, but it's pushing me higher on the steps towards success!

Dwood
October 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I am having a hard time finding a school in VA with game design classes, and VA has no shortage of schools...

Same in Florida. Our Classes suck when it comes to computers.

Only the Online School by the state is any good. T_T

Zeph
October 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM
People looking for game design classes. Dont. Look for schools that will give you the skills for game development, such as a digital media major. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. A degree in game design wont do you much good when you apply for a job at anything other than a game studio. Even then, studios know that a lot of these degrees are bogus.

Dwood
October 9th, 2008, 02:18 PM
People looking for game design classes. Dont. Look for schools that will give you the skills for game development, such as a digital media major. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. A degree in game design wont do you much good when you apply for a job at anything other than a game studio. Even then, studios know that a lot of these degrees are bogus.

That's nice to know, never really thought about it like that however: When I think about game design classes I think about Computer Science, C++ classes, 3d Modeling and Animating art classes etc.

Also i'm thinking High School classes.

JunkfoodMan
October 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Theres a great uni about 3 hours from me that attracts many developers. It's a usual game design course, yet it simulates a real-world game development (In terms of schedule, workflow, team stuff, some portfolio building etc). It also provides students internships/work experience placements in studios around England, with most of the students getting permanent placements. So I'm hoping to get into those.

Congrats Paladin. I've seen lots of work from you, and I love it. I'm not surprised.

Corndogman
October 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Same in Florida. Our Classes suck when it comes to computers.

We do have great scholarship programs though. It's so easy to get a 75% from bright futures, which is really nice.

I have the same issue though, the only thing remotely close to game design/3d art/whatever at my school is digital design, which really is just learning photoshop, and those students are who create the yearbook. Its still helpful, but not specialized in what I'm interested in.

Warsaw
October 9th, 2008, 08:23 PM

Yeah, I figured that much. Since the specific task I want is being a concept artist or something similar, I'd need art classes, a large portfolio, and some computer sciences classes (3D modeling and Photoshop would probably be the most pertinent apps to learn). Some basic knowledge in programming couldn't hurt either I suppose.

Tweek
October 10th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Wow, good job. Who knew that modding a game could get you a job?

i did.

i'm working full-time at streamline studios atm. :3

DaneO'Roo
October 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Bastards :(

Great work man, please show us the stuff you make as you get better :)

paladin
October 18th, 2008, 07:15 PM
1st week is cool. I havent done much. I have just really observed. I got to mess around with some character models.

My school is the University of Washington.

paladin
October 27th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Lol, I can't believe I'm posting this. I wanted to keep it a secret, but I got permission so say where I'm working. Please don't make fun of me. If anyone had a thought I was working for some big fps shooter game...... WRONG. Not even close.

My internship is at Her Interactive (http://www.herinteractive.com/prod/index.shtml) located in Bellevue, WA. They are the publisher for the mass mystery and adventure series Nancy Drew.

Gosh, this is embarrassing. Anyways, I at least got my foot in the door and hopefully I will work my way to a more interesting (at least to me) game. Just wanted to let you guys know. :)

Anton
October 27th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Not bad bro, you're right; at least you got your foot in the door.

MetKiller Joe
October 27th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Be your best. I'm sure this will get you somewhere.

JunkfoodMan
October 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
As long as you're doing something you enjoy =D.

Matooba
October 27th, 2008, 04:56 PM
i fucking hate living in rhode island.
no school has game design classes. any computer related class in general around here is severely retarded with the exception of a summer "camp" i go to at my local community college for 3d modeling and game design using maya 2009(?) and Unity3d (although 5 days really isnt alot of time to learn a whole damn engine)
i swear to christ, my highschool wants me to take 2 semesters of "the arts" electives. well every year one semester needs to be a physical education and health class thing. im in compter programming as an elective this year, my sophmore year, which means the next two years my electives have to be something like pottery or "art" class (drawing for dummies?), or maybe even acting class :puke:
however, a computer elective which focuses on amatur 2d art in some image editor for web deisgn does not count as a "the arts" class.
/rant

edit: oh and congrats on the internship

I hear yah man. Im in Massachusetts and theres nothing here either. Problem with schools nowadays is there still teaching a Industrial Age. They need to convert schooling to the computer age. Though some places may have already, most have not. Unfortunate :(

jngrow
October 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Can't wait to see Nancy Drew solve the mystery of the forerunners. Gonna be sweet.

paladin
October 28th, 2008, 12:26 AM
lol.

Hotrod
October 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hey, anything's a good start.