PDA

View Full Version : So, for Gov/Econ, we have to write bills

jngrow
October 10th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Well, I'll start of by saying hi. Hi. In my government class, at the beginning of the year, we all brainstormed ideas for "Problems with America". Then we were randomly assigned different issues. We have to write a bill on it, for a way to fix it, for Mock Congress, a thing all the seniors have to do.

I was assigned "Oil Prices/Regulation". I found some stuff, but all of the articles always end up with something like
"So yeah, it's possible, but peeps shouldn't worry about cus like.. yeah.. things will turn out ok"
(not exact quote of course, but all of the articles except one generally took that tone).

Is this a dead end or something? Should I attempt a topic change?

By the way, what's your opinion on the subject (oil prices/possible regulation of them)? If you have any links or sources I'd appreciate it.

So yeah this was pretty much just a way to ask you guys to find sources for my project. Shit. Whatever.

legionaire45
October 10th, 2008, 12:49 AM
You might have an easier time making a bill that relates to environmentally friendly renewable energy sources since every econut out there has something to say about it.

I think that too much regulation of the market by the government is bad; however, that doesn't mean that the government shouldn't make it worthwhile for businesses to invent new technologies to replace nonrenewable energy technologies. Having the government regulate oil costs would just encourage oil usage in the future. You can regulate oil all you want but that doesn't that won't change the fact that oil is a nonrenewable resource that we have little control over in the world.

jngrow
October 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Response much appreciated. The thing is that a few others already have renewable/alternative energy topics, so I'm not sure how far I can delve into that area.

Zeph
October 10th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Your best bet would to be looking at just how oil prices are made. There's a lot of bullshit going on with it that I wouldn't mind getting some government intervention with.