PDA

View Full Version : Speakers Rawk.

Cortexian
November 18th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I just picked these puppies up from work yesterday with my employee discount:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4889/nov172008speakerskz2.jpg

Logitech Z-5500 speakers ftw. I'm going to pickup a Xbox 360 Elite Holiday Bundle from work next paycheck as well as a VGA cable (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/) and Monster Cable Fiber Optic audio cable (8 ft.) (http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=1714). That way I can connect my Xbox to these speakers via the optical input and connect it to my monitor on the VGA input (PC is on my DVI input).

NullZero
November 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Looks good! Time to position them now :)

Is that a little subwoofer under your monitor :o

Cortexian
November 18th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Looks good! Time to position them now :)

Is that a little subwoofer under your monitor :o
Nope, that's the center channel speaker for the 5.1 surround. The subwoofer is on the ground on the left of the desk, it also doubles as the amp and receiver.

Unfortunately I can't mount the rear speakers on the wall behind me due to the way my room is designed, so they're going to stay where they are for now.

ultama121
November 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Woah... those are some nice looking speakers...

flibitijibibo
November 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Ah, the Z-5500... I have a set myself. I also do the 360 VGA and optical cable setup. Will be even better when I set it up to have 1680 x 1050.

A suggestion: take off the covers. Depending on what you're playing, they can muffle the sound a fair amount. The subwoofer might need to be in a different place, too. With all that in the way, there's a possibility of muffling there too.

StankBacon
November 18th, 2008, 07:07 PM
ugh, just like my cousin, thinks monster cables are better for some reason and waste so much money.

Amit
November 18th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Wait, so that decent sized sub came with that speaker set? Damn...

InnerGoat
November 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Nice. I've still got my z-680 set and it's great. Basically, they are what the z-5500 are based off.

You should look into getting speaker stands for the rear pair so you can make some use of them. Also, monster cable.. lol

jcap
November 18th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Why spend $100 on a cable you can get for less than $3 (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1448&seq=1&format=2)? Digital is digital.

Hotrod
November 18th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Damn, that's a nice speaker set. I'd love to have something like that.

MetKiller Joe
November 18th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Why spend $100 on a cable you can get for less than $3 (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1448&seq=1&format=2)? Digital is digital.

Because they are blessed by a rabii in holy water.

Cortexian
November 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Digital is not digital, sorry guys. People say the same thing about HDMI cables, yet some TV's and Blu-Ray players will not output unless you're using a high quality cable. I also work at Future Shop so I'm getting that $100 cable for about $40.

Zeph
November 18th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Digital is not digital, sorry guys. People say the same thing about HDMI cables, yet some TV's and Blu-Ray players will not output unless you're using a high quality cable. I also work at Future Shop so I'm getting that $100 cable for about $40.

The only difference between the three dollar digital cables and the five dollar digital cables is that occiasionally the plugs on the three dollar ones suck and dont fit right. There is no difference between the five dollar and 100 dollar cables.

Cortexian
November 19th, 2008, 12:05 AM
The only difference between the three dollar digital cables and the five dollar digital cables is that occiasionally the plugs on the three dollar ones suck and dont fit right. There is no difference between the five dollar and 100 dollar cables.
I'm 100% positive that there is when it comes to HDMI cables. As for optical I'm not sure though, I'll be getting the Monster Cable one anyways though. Why wouldn't I get a $100 for $40?

StankBacon
November 19th, 2008, 11:11 AM

your fucking stupid.

Cortexian
November 19th, 2008, 12:34 PM

your fucking stupid.
Not at all. I've seen demos at our store that aren't rigged in any way to show the difference between high quality HDMI cables and El Cheapo HDMI cables. As a matter of fact I was on of the people that was plugging the demo in, it was setup as such:

Two identical TV's.

One Monster HDMI cable.

One El Cheapo HDMI cable (rocket fish I think).

Two identical Blu-Ray players.

We couldn't get the TV and Blu-Ray player that were using the cheap cable to even DISPLAY picture from the Blu-Ray player, the player kept telling us to use higher quality cable. The Monster setup on the other hand worked fine.

Now like I said, that was for HDMI. I have no idea if there's a big difference between cheapo and quality Fiber Optic audio cables or not. I'm not going to chance it though, I will be buying the stated cable, and I will only be paying $40 for it so STOP COMPLAINING.

kthx.

InnerGoat
November 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
The cheap cable was probably the old HDMI spec, but ok. Monster's stuff is not bad at all, it's just expensive. I see no problem buying the cable when the price is more in check with reality.

Cortexian
November 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
The cheap cable was probably the old HDMI spec, but ok. Monster's stuff is not bad at all, it's just expensive. I see no problem buying the cable when the price is more in check with reality.
Win post is win.

legionaire45
November 20th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Lolwutthefuck. (http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/)

Shiny gold cables are nice and all but I'll take the shitty $10 ones any day.

Cortexian
November 20th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Yea, those displays have been removed from all Future Shop stores. They were replaced with actual displays that WE (Future Shop) setup that use the above mentioned hardware setup. There is a very small visual difference when using high quality cables vs lower quality cables, and if you're using a cable that's REALLY bad quality the signal won't even output on some setups.

Warsaw
November 26th, 2008, 12:15 PM
D=

Nice speakers, I'd definitely love to upgrade from my X-530s to a set like that. Logitech seems to be dominating the computer speaker industry right now. The Klipsch and CreAtive competition have all but disappeared.

Cortexian
November 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM
D=

Nice speakers, I'd definitely love to upgrade from my X-530s to a set like that. Logitech seems to be dominating the computer speaker industry right now. The Klipsch and CreAtive competition have all but disappeared.
The only other company I'd consider buying PC speakers from right now is Altec Lancing or w/e, they have some pretty decent speakers out right now.