PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys actually go for achievements?

fuzzy001
December 2nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
In numerous amounts of games we are presented with the opportunity to gain "achievements". These games can be found anywhere from the latest VALVe games to numerous Xbox games. But gaining achievements doesn't really do too much for us. It may increase our "Gamer scores" (which doesn't really do anything) and we may gain some personal satisfaction from it.

But do you guys really bother getting achievements? You work for something that gives you little more than personal satisfaction. Achievements range anyone from little simple things such as beating a level to tedious tasks such a completing a level with certain requirement(s). Which can bring along frustration if you suddenly screw up and you were so close to satisfying the condition.

So now comes the simple question, do you guys actually go for the achievements?

Also: Do you guys compare Xbox Live! "Gamer scores" with each other?

Timo
December 2nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
I don't like comparing gamerscores but i'll go for achievements when i've clocked a game to get a little more replay value out of it, and if I hire out a game I try and get as many achievements as I can over the 2 or 3 days I have the games as a bit of a challenge. For me, campaign achievements are an excuse to keep playing. They're not worth points but the achievement system for CoD4's multiplayer where you level up by straight killing and killing with this gun X amount of times or get two kills with one bullet, which gives you more points bring a lot of replay value.

Heathen
December 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
No, unless it gets me something like armor.

Advancebo
December 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
I get achievements after I have beaten the included story/campaign/1P mode.

L0d3x
December 2nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
I never go for achievements, each one I have unlocked, was purely by chance, and I don't go scrolling through the achievements to find out what I can/have to do to achieve a certain thing.

Zeph
December 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Only if I'm bored or want an unlock.

Skill
December 2nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
I only go for achievements to get an unlock or if I want a one-time challenge. None of this "Kill X amount of boars" bullshit. If I wanted that, I'd play an MMO.

flibitijibibo
December 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
What Skill said. That's why I never 100% completed Gears 1, but I'm about a blink of an eye away from finishing Gears 2.

Syuusuke
December 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
After I get bored with the game, yes

fuzzy001
December 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
I get achievements after I have beaten the included story/campaign/1P mode.

Would you for achievements that take really long to get?

paladin
December 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Yes.

Hotrod
December 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
I only go for achievements when they unlock something in-game, such as armor in Halo 3. Besides that, if I get them while playing, then good, if not, then I don't care.

Corndogman
December 2nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Sometimes I will but I usually only get them by chance when playing campaign or multiplayer. I'll never go hunting down some ridiculously hard objective just to get some points.

klange
December 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Depends on the game.

LinkandKvel
December 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
I think some of are trying to fit in. I know I do. The point of it is to set milestones to see if you can succeed and the points=proof.

fuzzy001
December 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
I think some of are trying to fit in. I know I do. The point of it is to set milestones to see if you can succeed and the points=proof.

Not exactly... well in Steam you don't get points but it says that you got them. People could have easily h4x3d it. For example in Left 4 Dead you could have used a bunch of console commands to get achievements you needed- doesn't necesarily mean you got the achievements in a "legit" manner. And in your Steam community page it doesn't say if you h4x3d it or got it in a legit manner.

Some achievements aren't really all that impressive though, they may be a stupid as "finish *blah blah* in campaign".

Also if you're trying to get achievements that are multiplayer only, does that effect your gameplay? I mean lets say you hardly ever use the Spartan Laser in Halo 3, does the Two for One achievement motivate you to use it?

Heathen
December 2nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Sometimes I will but I usually only get them by chance when playing campaign or multiplayer. I'll never go hunting down some ridiculously hard objective just to get some points.

Worthless points at that
If gp = mp, then ya, I would care.

motivate you to use it?
no

The fact that its a guaranteed 3 kills on a fully loaded warthog is why I do it.

Limited
December 2nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
I do go for achievements, most of them give me a reason to do something I may not do, plus it of course gives that challenge factor of it. CoD:WaW one of the levels you need to shoot down 45 zeros, you can get through the level hardly shooting anything, but that is alot easier. So doing for that achievement does take skill.

I dont compare gamerscores, although if I see someone with like 15k gamerscore I will be like "ahh must have played quite a few games for sometime, must be a pretty good gamer", if some one has like 200 gamerscore I usually think that person is probably a noob/casual gamer.

Advancebo
December 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Nah, I leave them alone, until I forget what I was doing then just get the achievement

Also at Limited:
Of they have 15k+gamerscore, they have no life

LinkandKvel
December 2nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
^ Not really. Some games have an easy 1000.

Donut
December 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
honestly i think achievements for things that you would do normally, such as "complete the first level" are total bullshit. if you suck that bad that you cant beat the first level, then you better go back and play 1985 mario.
seriously, oblivion has a 50 gamerscore achievement for closing an oblivion gate. thats not the best example..... ok bioshock. you get an achivment for upgrading a weapon at an upgrade station that the game shoves up your ass.
spoiler tags to avoid ruining game for you sad people who havent played this game yet

you get a 20g achievement for restoring the trees in arcadia
you get 10g achievement for inventing your first item (i might be wrong about this one)
a 100g achievement for killing the last boss
but the thing that pisses me off the most is a 100g achievement for killing andrew ryan. WHAT THE FUCK, "YOU" FUCKING SOPRANO HIM IN THE FACE WITH A GOLF CLUB IN A CUTSCENE. HOW IS THAT AN ACHIEVEMENT?
/rant

fuzzy001
December 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I do go for achievements, most of them give me a reason to do something I may not do, plus it of course gives that challenge factor of it. CoD:WaW one of the levels you need to shoot down 45 zeros, you can get through the level hardly shooting anything, but that is alot easier. So doing for that achievement does take skill.

I dont compare gamerscores, although if I see someone with like 15k gamerscore I will be like "ahh must have played quite a few games for sometime, must be a pretty good gamer", if some one has like 200 gamerscore I usually think that person is probably a noob/casual gamer.

My friend has like a 25K gamer score, and he is only an "above average" gamer if you ask me. Hes played ALOT of games on his Xbox360, and like Donut said alot of the achievements are just plain crap (Heck in Soul Calibur 4, an achievement is to WATCH THE INTRO VIDEO). On the other hand I've seen people with gamer scores that maybe be so much as like 100 or so on GRAW, but they aren't shabby gamers or anything they are actually quite good. GRAW just doesn't have many easy-off-the-bat MP achievements, most of them are SP. They could have played the game for a good amount, gotten a bunch of the MP achievements (which may equate to very little), be decent, but have a low gamer score.

Do you guys have a tendancy to associate low gamer scores with "noobs/casual gamers" as opposed to higher gamerscores with "better" players?

CabooseJr
December 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
I always go for the achievements, I would usually just rent games, beat them, get the remaining achievements, send them back, and repeat.

Limited
December 2nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Do you guys have a tendancy to associate low gamer scores with "noobs/casual gamers" as opposed to higher gamerscores with "better" players?
Well what I meant was they dont play games a s much, where as someone with 15k would have to spend alot of time getting it, it shows dedication and has played a good number of games :)

paladin
December 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
honestly i think achievements for things that you would do normally, such as "complete the first level" are total bullshit. if you suck that bad that you cant beat the first level, then you better go back and play 1985 mario.
seriously, oblivion has a 50 gamerscore achievement for closing an oblivion gate. thats not the best example..... ok bioshock. you get an achivment for upgrading a weapon at an upgrade station that the game shoves up your ass.
spoiler tags to avoid ruining game for you sad people who havent played this game yet

you get a 20g achievement for restoring the trees in arcadia
you get 10g achievement for inventing your first item (i might be wrong about this one)
a 100g achievement for killing the last boss
but the thing that pisses me off the most is a 100g achievement for killing andrew ryan. WHAT THE FUCK, "YOU" FUCKING SOPRANO HIM IN THE FACE WITH A GOLF CLUB IN A CUTSCENE. HOW IS THAT AN ACHIEVEMENT?
/rant

Killing Andrew Ryan is like completing a chapter in Bioshock. Its not an achievement for killing him, but for reaching that point in the game.

Bioshock has some hard achievements, ever tried to get 'Brass Balls'?

Advancebo
December 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
The only game I played on my 360 was Halo 3 and a few arcade demos...

Pooky
December 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Only if I'm bored or want an unlock.

^

Mother-fucking Ascetic helmet WILL BE MINE.

Hotrod
December 2nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
^

Mother-fucking Ascetic helmet WILL BE MINE.
What achievement do you need for that again? Steppin' Razor?

Pooky
December 2nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
YES. >_<

DarkHalo003
December 2nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
I was annoyed when I was playing Halo3 the other day when I heard this kid say "I hate Halo3, I'm just playing it for the achievements." So I'm sitting there like "WTF, WHO CARES IF YOU HAVE LITTLE NUMBERS ON YOUR XBOX GAMING PROFILE THAT SAY YOU SPENT SUCH TIME TO GAIN SOMETHING THAT NO ONE IN THE REAL WORLD HONESTLY CARES ABOUT." But that's my opinion on achievements, I play games for entertainment and to occupy slightly loose boredom. Achievements to me are rather gimmicks than attractions. But sadly it seems the opposite to a lot of other people. This is all my opinion on achievements and in no way was I directing it at a mass group of people, so please don't take it offensively.

Halo3 armor perms are different though. I mean, you get some pretty Badass looking armor to personalize your character in a game. That's just freaking sweet.

Con
December 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
I love getting achievements, it's something fun aside from the same old game.

Donut
December 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Killing Andrew Ryan is like completing a chapter in Bioshock. Its not an achievement for killing him, but for reaching that point in the game.

Bioshock has some hard achievements, ever tried to get 'Brass Balls'?
working on it now lol
and the achievement is still called "kill Andrew Ryan" regardless of what it actually represents. and i hardly think its worth 100g to watch a first person cutscene with a golf club. at least we could have replaced the fucking wrench with the golf club :maddowns:
also on the hardest difficulty, do you end up getting into some new areas that are difficulty exclusive? i saw a video of a guy working on the brass balls achievement in Sander Cohen's room, but iv never been there myself. im right near that part of the game on my play through so im wondering
E: i do understand what you mean by reaching the end of a chapter though

DrunkenSamus
December 2nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
In Episode Two, the Gnome achievement adds a good amount of replay value because you have to look after yourself, Alyx, and your little friend from flying out your Dodge Charger's window lmfao.

kid908
December 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
I actually go for the achievement mainly because me and my cusin share games and we tend to see who actually have a higher score in a game and stuff, but some of the achievement are just really stupid. A good example is the one for guitar hero 3. It's an achievement for actually failing a boss battle and quiting... I donno why that's an achievement but it doesn't give you any points...it is just a filler i guess.

LinkandKvel
December 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
A good example is the one for guitar hero 3. It's an achievement for actually failing a boss battle and quiting... I donno why that's an achievement but it doesn't give you any points...it is just a filler i guess.What? I haven't gotten that one......

legionaire45
December 3rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
I usually consider achievements to be worthless. Most people simply follow walkthroughs for single player stuff anyway. Not much of an achievement really.

LinkandKvel
December 3rd, 2008, 12:29 AM
I usually consider achievements to be worthless. Most people simply follow walkthroughs for single player stuff anyway. Not much of an achievement really.

Who's most people? I never do and all my friends never do.

Kornman00
December 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
This thread lacks a poll

but yes, I actually go for achievements. It's a goal isn't it? So why not shoot for it

Sever
December 3rd, 2008, 12:52 AM
I like having the extra goals. I beat Ravenholm without using anything other than the Gravity Gun. I got a Triple Kill with the Energy Sword. I completed Mirror's Edge without firing any weapons at my enemies. It gives me an extra goal to reach, and a more fulfilling sense of accomplishment than beating the game on the hardest difficulty (which ironically enough is usually an achievement in its own).

fuzzy001
December 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
This thread lacks a poll

but yes, I actually go for achievements. It's a goal isn't it? So why not shoot for it

The "goal" may be something as stupid as start a new campaign, or make a new character, or something stupid like that. Most games have the stupidest array of achievements ever and don't really provide a goal to work for.

Bodzilla
December 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
i do from time to time, it's something fun and frustrating, but also rewarding.

i've done little rocket man on Episode 2 :D

the ones i prefer are the lastest updates for the heavy and the pyro in TF2, simply because there not something arbitary or out of the way like, punching 2 people with an ubered heavy........ The achievement was beyond stupid until the heavy update came out and he was rewarded with crits.

things like, you've done a million points in fire damage, killed 10 people under water, used a combination of your primary and secondry weapon to kill someone. Stuff like that.

you dont have to go on some stupid thing, you just get it :D

Beckinsale
December 4th, 2008, 04:20 PM
World of Warcraft achievements? Hellz yea, got 2770 right now.

TheGhost
December 5th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I'd say it depends on the game, but generally I don't go for the achievements. That's probably pretty obvious from my low gamerscore. Probably the only game where I actually got all of the achievements is Marble Blast Ultra. There are some people out there that rent easy games for a couple of days just to up their gamerscores...

MetKiller Joe
December 5th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I don't typically concentrate on achievements. I have fun with the game, and, if I get any, it is a bonus.

I rent a lot, so it let's me boost my gamerscore, but not that much.

StankBacon
December 5th, 2008, 05:29 AM
don't go for them, but if i do get one, its fun to look at the list to see what i did to get it.

p0lar_bear
December 5th, 2008, 06:50 AM
For games that don't give anything for unlocking achievements, only when I'm bored and just want something to do. It's like going back to a game you've already played pre-Xbox 360 era and trying to do a speed/no damage/perfection run; you don't get anything out of it, but it's a self-imposed challenge that keeps you interested.

On the other hand, games that do give you items for achievements depends on what unlocks. Team Fortress 2 for the PC is worth the achievements for the Medic, Pyro, and Heavy unlockables, as the items that unlock breathe new life into gameplay and keep players on their toes. Halo 3, on the other hand, isn't worth achievement whoring as much since all you get are purely cosmetic armor permutations, most of which are butt ugly, or broken (in the case of the elite model).

And gamerscore for the 360 is just another stat to encourage e-peen stroking. Fortunately I've yet to see someone boast about theirs excessively or ridicule someone about not having as many Gs.

LlamaMaster
December 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I used to go for them in TF2, but then I went into that "heavy achievements" map and it gave me all of them...against my will. I only wanted the heavy achievements. Meh.

Masterz1337
December 5th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I have a friend who is retarded enough to actually buy games soley for the achievments. I only go for achievements if they unlock more content, or if it's a game I like and I want to add a new twist or challenge into it.

Timo
December 5th, 2008, 11:17 AM
But you really can't compare achievements. I can't believe that someone would actually spend money to get a bigger number beside their name that nobody but them cares about :|

Arteen
December 5th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I go for them if the challenges look fun or if there is a reward. They can be a lot of fun sometimes.

ShadowSpartan
December 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I go for them if the challenges look fun or if there is a reward. They can be a lot of fun sometimes.
Cod4 Mile High Club on veteran, now that's a challenge. I still haven't beat that shit :(.

For the most part, I just do achievements for fun.

Masterz1337
December 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM
But you really can't compare achievements. I can't believe that someone would actually spend money to get a bigger number beside their name that nobody but them cares about :|

Well I did say he was retarded. He also was confused when he went to Wallmart and thought they sold jail outfits and accessories in the intimate apparel section. He thought it was inmate >_>.

Sever
December 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I go for them if the challenges look fun or if there is a reward. They can be a lot of fun sometimes.Half Life 2: Episode 1's 'The One Free Bullet' - fire only one bullet throughout the entire episode - rocket, crowbar, hand-grenade and gravity gun kills are ok! That achievement was very fun to get. It gave the game a great twist and made your dependency on Alyx as a partner more noticeable.

Dr Nick
December 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I'll go for a few achievements at the start, but after that I don't really care much.

Unfortunately, in some of the big ones like Little Rocket Man in Episode 2, I tried, and when I finished it, I didn't get the achievement. Oh well, I might try again some day.

fuzzy001
December 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I'll go for a few achievements at the start, but after that I don't really care much.

Unfortunately, in some of the big ones like Little Rocket Man in Episode 2, I tried, and when I finished it, I didn't get the achievement. Oh well, I might try again some day.

I hate doing those really long/tedious achievements that end up not registering for some stupid reason- like you "weren't connected to Steam" or it just glitched. They can be fun if you get them though (Like the Little Rocket Man achievement).

Btw, does the "new" (I just saw them) Halo 3 achievements give you any additional armor? (All those MP achievements on the Legendary maps?)

Pooky
December 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I hate grind-fucking-tastic achievements, like "kill X000 enemies in Y manner"

Heathen
December 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM
thats the ones I like.

ultama121
December 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
No, I see no point in achievements seeing as gamerscore is practically useless.

fuzzy001
December 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
No, I see no point in achievements seeing as gamerscore is practically useless.

^ Yeah but in some extreme cases you may be judged by it... (Haha I have more G's than you) [So what?] Though practically the score means nothing.

Pooky
December 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
^ Yeah but in some extreme cases you may be judged by it... (Haha I have more G's than you) [So what?] Though practically the score means nothing.

I don't think the point is for real bragging rights so much as a gauge to show you how much you've accomplished since you got your 360

Though for super competitive people it's certainly useful

Sometimes I just go for achievements on games I really like to show that I kick more ass at it than you, for instance I'm still working on the shitting Belmont's Revenge achievement (beat SOTN as Richter >__<)

Bastinka
December 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Replayability.

n00b1n8R
December 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
For tf2, I do it for the unlocks mainly.

In the other OJ box games, I do it just to see if I can (still can't find all the fucking grubs in ep 2!!).

Don't have a 360. :v:

killer9856
December 10th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I mostly go through 1-2 game for a few months. I just go along and play the game, and whatever unlocks, its unlocked. Then I go for the multiplayer fun :D

Higuy
December 11th, 2008, 04:01 AM
No, no I dont. I just play the game. Achviements look really silly. If armour and crap comes with my $60 for Halo 3, then give me it without having to unlock crap and achivements.

Cortexian
December 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I do if they're fairly easy to get... I just wait to get the hard ones via fluke.

paladin
December 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Woot, got 5 more today...

p0lar_bear
December 12th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Trying for GTA4's "Endangered Species" achievement.

So goddamned boring. :suicide:

TeeKup
December 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Most of the GTA4 Achievments were fun to get like "Walk Free" and "One Man Army." Most other games though I really don't care.

Zombie Bait
December 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I like getting acheivements for unlockables and stuff, but mostly so people don't go and say crap like this: "Haha! I have more acheivments than you! You suck at this game! Ha ha!"
And yes, sometimes that happens, espically when little people who are like 4 or 5 playing the games.

Varmint260
December 13th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I go for achievements trophies, actually 'cause they do add replayability to some games that didn't have them at launch. I figure, why resist it just because they're useless? If I happen to feel a bit of satisfaction every time I hear that chime and see that little notification on my screen, why fight it? Though I do hope that they actually become useful one day and unlock things.

KiLLa
December 13th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Always go for em..
Two reasons, bragging rights.."BOOYAAA YOU TRY GETTING THAT MUAHAHA"
And for replayability...I say you haven't TRUELY beaten a game, until you've gotten all the acheivements...it's like something to conquer!!
But that's my take on it :)

Terin
December 13th, 2008, 10:47 PM
They're fun to go for. Achievements are actually making me go through COD2 on Veteran. Without them, I would have just put the game down after I finished the campaign. I do the same with Steam achievements, but not for the extremely tough ones (I'm never touching the grub and gnome achievements. Ever. :v:)

Rosco
December 14th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I still can't do the silo mission on veteran for CoD2, lol.

I do achievements like complete a game on the hardest difficulty. I thousand CoD4 because all of the stuff is SP. I hate multiplayer achievements.

=sw=warlord
December 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Geometry wars 2 achievements are a bitch to try and accomplish ive tried getting the wax on achievement and i get to 92% before i slip up.

kid908
December 14th, 2008, 01:47 PM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/629/s36=.jpg Seriously 2.0: Kill 100,000 enemies (any mode)

i find this an extremely time consuming achievement. (i got around 1700-3000 kills at this moment)

and is this one promoting bad health or what?
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/65/gr07.jpg Committed (Multiplayer): Play for 8 hours straight in multiplayer

Pooky
December 14th, 2008, 10:22 PM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/629/s36=.jpg Seriously 2.0: Kill 100,000 enemies (any mode)

i find this an extremely time consuming achievement. (i got around 1700-3000 kills at this moment)

and is this one promoting bad health or what?
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/65/gr07.jpg Committed (Multiplayer): Play for 8 hours straight in multiplayer

Just load up a map in split screen and leave your Xbox on for 8 hours <_<

paladin
December 15th, 2008, 05:54 PM
What game is that? Btw, 3 more.

kid908
December 16th, 2008, 09:53 PM
What game is that? Btw, 3 more.

GRAW

@pooky: and ye i know but just saying. i don't think when they made the achievement, they were thinking of u leaving the game on for 8 hours. i think they actually expected you to play it for 8 hours.