PDA

View Full Version : MAX question

t3h m00kz
December 6th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Real quick question.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO DELETE DUPLICATE/IDENTICAL/DOUBLE VERTS?

Whenever I import a Halo 2 Elite, there's two verts in the same place in a few areas, all that kind of shit, and it makes rigging properly not-so-easy. Google failed me. I'd imagine there's a Max script out there or something. Unless of course doing so would fubar the model...

L0d3x
December 6th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Go to vertice selection mode, select the area containing the duplicate vertices, and weld with a value of 0.1 => that should do the trick.

t3h m00kz
December 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Go to vertice selection mode, select the area containing the duplicate vertices, and weld with a value of 0.1 => that should do the trick.

Oye, they're all over, and random too. It'll take forever and a half, but I'll try it.

Man, I miss Blender's "Remove Doubles" feature :(

E: I think I figured out a shortcut. Importing the OBJ into Blender, using the Remove Doubles feature in question, and then saving and importing it back into MAX. There were OVER SEVEN HUNDRED DOUBLE VERTS. Seems to have worked... I'm just suprised MAX didn't have a similar feature.

E2: Well shit that fucks up the textures. FFF-

L0d3x
December 6th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Oh you can select the entire model in vertice mode, and do the weld trick as well...
As long as it's 0.1. Sorry, should have mentioned that earlier.

Rob Oplawar
December 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM
well, if the model has two separate vertices that happen to be 0.1 units apart, that will screw up your model. I'm not sure if you can set the threshold to 0, but if the vertices really are duplicates in exactly the same location, then you should weld with the threshold as close to 0 as you can get it (edit: select all vertices and weld).

This usually happens to me when I import a .3DS file- each surface with a particular material ID becomes a separate "object" within the object. So if you had a cube with a different mat id on each face, then each face would have its own four vertices.

Roostervier
December 6th, 2008, 01:43 PM
If you're importing from h2, then just select all the verts, hit the weld button and use a value of 0.001 or 0.0001, can't remember which. That should fix up your problem.

mech
December 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Welding the threshold to .01 .001 .0001 should all do the trick.

t3h m00kz
December 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Sweet Jesus Tits it works. 0.1 was making it look like one of the low ass level of detail models, 0.01 worked.

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll get somewhere with MAX this time. :haw: