PDA

View Full Version : Teamspeak or Ventrilo: Which do you prefer?

TheGhost
December 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Which do you prefer and why? Which games do you use it for?

Bodzilla
December 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Ventrillo is alot better accross the whole board for talking, there just more options, and it's easier to use.

Timo
December 12th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I prefer vent but use both - some servers have an associated teamspeak server, others have vent.

Phopojijo
December 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Teamspeak definitely.

InnerGoat
December 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I'd rather use vent but have both.

CabooseJr
December 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Gotta go with vent.

{-Skorn-}
December 12th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Vent def. free servers and all that jazz, easyer to set up, love it for its simplicity,
On the flip side i love the ammount of controll you get with TS.
even threw the complexitys

Limited
December 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Teamspeak, I dont want to have to set up profiles with names for each server I wish to go into, teamspeak I just change 1 text box, in Vent I gotta do tons of things =\

flibitijibibo
December 12th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I never really use either, because I either have no need to talk to other players or the game has in-game voice. Of course, when tournaments come, I have to connect via teamspeak/vent, and I must say that vent is pretty good. Like Limited said, you have to do a lot of shit if you use it for multiple servers, so I suppose vent is good if you stay on the same servers most of the time. Otherwise, teamspeak is much less of a bitch to get working.

Snowy
December 12th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Ventrilo, by far.

Amit
December 12th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Teamspeak all the way. This "simplicity" of Ventrilo seems to have people confused. Teamspeak you just type in the IP, the password and a nickname, that's it.

n00b1n8R
December 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Vent. I find it has better sound quality, a nicer UI and generally I find it preferable to TS in every way.

Teamspeak, I dont want to have to set up profiles with names for each server I wish to go into, teamspeak I just change 1 text box, in Vent I gotta do tons of things =\
No you don't.

press the arrow next to the server box, press new, put in the server details and press OK. :eyesroll:

StankBacon
December 12th, 2008, 09:00 PM
teamspeak, simply because the server has no limits and i notice no difference in sound quality. (not to mention the nice web based admin panel)

vent has a 8 client limit for its server, which is useless.

Pooky
December 12th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Everytime I used teamspeak it was laggy and had shitty quality, so I guess vent.

Heathen
December 12th, 2008, 11:28 PM
picked teamspeak because I never used ventrilo

TheGhost
December 13th, 2008, 01:11 AM
vent has a 8 client limit for its server, which is useless.

This.

Cortexian
December 13th, 2008, 03:59 AM
TeamSpeak, it's 10x easier to use.

Boss™
December 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I personally used to use TeamSpeak all of the time, until it kept getting hacked. Vent is slightly more prone to getting hacked by random people who downloaded the tool, because it's a bit more complicated to use. I wouldn't mind the fact that you can only set up 8 clients, since the vent itself would be less likely to get stolen. So vent is my choice.

FluffyDucky™
December 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I prefer Vent, TS is horrible. Bad quality, and when a bunch of people talk at once it is fucking useless. At least Vent you can understand a bunch of people talking at once, TS is just a mind fuck. And Limited, you can set a name and have like a million servers under that profile, and you can easily clone it to change your name, that's not a million things, that's like two...

Whats the 8 client thing?

mech
December 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I prefer Vent, TS is horrible. Bad quality, and when a bunch of people talk at once it is fucking useless. At least Vent you can understand a bunch of people talking at once, TS is just a mind fuck. And Limited, you can set a name and have like a million servers under that profile, and you can easily clone it to change your name, that's not a million things, that's like two...

People talking about issues with quality don't have a clue what mic boost is I'm guessing. I've been using TS for the past year about twice a week and have never had any problems with it.

Amit
December 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM

First of all, there should never be "a bunch" of people talking all at one time. If you're in a channel listening, you should listen to one person speak at a time, otherwise, some people will only pick up on something one person said, while other people will only pick up what another person said. It's too inconsistent.

TS has good quality if you know how to select a good codec. The default one is fine, anyways.

StankBacon
December 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM
lol @ the guys saying ts quality is bad.

l2codec

TheGhost
December 13th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Ventrilo would only allow 8 people to be connected to the server at once. So if you had a 16 person server only half of those people could join the chat.

supersniper
December 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Teamspeak because that was the first one I used, and I'm familiar with it.

n00b1n8R
December 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Ventrilo would only allow 8 people to be connected to the server at once. So if you had a 16 person server only half of those people could join the chat.
What are you talking about?

As in only 8 people could transmit/receive at the same time?
<___<

Also, you could look into mumble. My bro seems to think that's a good alternative.

TheGhost
December 13th, 2008, 07:09 PM
What are you talking about?

As in only 8 people could transmit/receive at the same time?
<___<

Yes, as in only 8 slots in the server, so only 8 people can be in the same server at the same time.

Because of this I'm looking at Teamspeak more. I've used it before and I haven't had problems with it - if you're talking about quality then you need to fix your codecs, the quality is fine, that's not what I'm asking about.

Roostervier
December 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen more than 8 people in a vent server at a time...

Syuusuke
December 13th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Those servers are most likely licensed...

Bodzilla
December 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
This.
how used to realistically expect this to be?

8 people would be fine for everything but special occasions and game nights.

Cortexian
December 13th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I've been hosting a TS server for over a year now...

IP:
96.51.92.101:8767

You can register yourself with the server, once you do you can create your own channels (they disappear once you leave and are empty though). If you want to test the quality of TeamSpeak, enter the "Crysis", "Supreme Commander", or "Instant Action" channels because the other channels are using reduced quality codecs. The channels I listed are using the highest quality codec available to TeamSpeak to my knowledge (Speex 25.9), so use those.

My server is also running TS2PerlMod (see the message you get when you join).

FinishTheFight
December 14th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I would prefer TeamSpeak, but Ventrilo is good to. TeamSpeak is more friendly user though.

Some are saying the voice quality on TeamSpeak is not so great. I disagree, not only does the quality depend on what the user's settings on TeamSpeak are set to, but what codec is set for that channel.

It's really a matter of personal preference.

Quote from another site:

Well then, again, my original point stands. I don't believe there's going to be any appreciable difference between the two; it will boil down to personal preference. In today's world of 2+ GHz computers and 1Mbps + broadband connections... you probably aren't going to notice a performance difference between the two.

DJ_Stephan
February 19th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Vent is kinda more simple for me.And for some reason TS causes me more lag then vent....i have no idea why that happens.

And my mic seems to love vent since it causes big background noise on TS.

RobertGraham
February 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
I prefer Ventrillo because TeamSpeak doesnt work on my PC for some reason. Why dont I just die, nothing works. Not even.. well...

DrunkenSamus
February 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
I prefer Ventrillo because TeamSpeak doesnt work on my PC for some reason. Why dont I just die, nothing works. Not even.. well...

I'm sensing some emoness/Kurt Cobain-ness. :downs:

Bastinka
February 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Teamspeaks GUI is nicer and a lot easier to use, also voice activation actually works correctly. I really dislike ventrilo because the voice activation system doesn't work all that great for me and push to talk is horrifying.

I'd prefer Skype over both, but teamspeak is my runner-up.

Heathen
March 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Tough results there...

.Wolf™
March 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Well ventrilo never worked,so i have to say teamspeak , because it works:P

Cojafoji
March 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Teamspeak for me. I hate ventrillo. It's like the AC. D:

Cortexian
March 11th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Wow... This has been neck and neck for months now...

DrunkenSamus
March 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I don't think you can look at this from a technical perspective. People prefer one over the other simply because someone finds one program to be more lag free or more user friendly then the other one.

n00b1n8R
March 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Lock the thread and get a server. :|

TheGhost
March 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM
There already is one.

TeamSpeak: 75.125.176.202

mech
March 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM
[00:23:49] Connecting to 75.125.176.202
[00:23:52] No reply from server
or maybe teamspeak is not running on it

It's broken man.

http://www.modacity.net/forums/images/customavatars/avatar1311_25.gif (http://www.modacity.net/forums/member.php?u=1311)

TPE
March 12th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Ventrilo by faaaaaaaaaar, you can post comments, copy comments, turn users up and down, admin control is way better, and you don't have some shitty robot voice yelling at you when somebody joins without somehow figuring out how to turn it off. Also the G15 addon for vent is built in it which makes it easier for me.

I used to prefer TS over vent until I started playing WoW and everybody used vent. Then it kinda grew in. Anyway you can record without people knowing.

Cortexian
March 12th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Lock the thread and get a server. :|
There's also mine:
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7982

Heathen
April 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Lol, someone balanced it back.

AAA
May 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
...We should seriously have a bi-weekly new poll to make things interesting for extra discussion, I think it'd be interesting. Seeing this teamspeak and ventrilo crap for so long is making the poll's purpose immensly stale.

Any new ideas?

Cortexian
May 13th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Vagina?

Y/N.

TheGhost
May 14th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Sometimes I go through the list of recent polls and set one of them to the front-page poll. I'll see what's fresh.