PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Porting Modern Games to Linux

MetKiller Joe
December 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Idea for Porting Game Titles to Linux (http://mark-gblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/idea-for-porting-game-titles-to-linux.html)

"Wow." Is what I thought this morning when I was counting the number of modern games that I can think of have been ported to Linux:

-Left 4 Dead
-Prey
-Unreal Tournament 3 (albeit the server side, not the client side)

When I got my iPhone, I went onto Cydia and I found Doom and Quake there. I may have been sparked with the nostalgia phase because I went and looked up the Doom, Quake, and Quake II source codes.

But, still, I thought about how all of these games have been ported to Linux. It took one programmer to do all of the fixes to port them (UT3, Prey, and Doom all have this in common, but I'm not sure about Left 4 Dead).

What I thought is that a company could be started simply to convert all of the games coming out onto the linux platform. The giants of the industry would give the source code (under iron guard of course) to this company, and they would pay a royalty for every game they sold for Linux to the big company. The same would go for patches.

Con
December 13th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Neat idea, but I don't see it happening.