PDA

View Full Version : [wip] Refinery

Chainsy
December 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Well set in the arctic, this will be a UNSC oil refinery. I finished the basic model today, and am planning to go into detail on the first level (railings, generators,ect) and then add things such as crates and barrels for stragetic cover, then I will move on and populate the bottom level. It will feature 2 drastic gameplay differences depending on what path you choose, top level is bright, relatively uncluttered and will feature the ability to drive mongooses, the bottom level will be dark and clustered with alot of debris and broken down machinery, oh and the huge gap in the center is going to be cliffs.
I wanted this to be mainly a simple symmetrical map since it will be my first.
I am also aware of the open edge on the bottom of the pillars, and they have been sealed. Also can anyone tell me of the odd error I keep having for those walls, as you can see those triangle gaps there are not on the actual model, and a normal render plus omni shows it normally, but on the clay render it shows up, maybe an overlapping face? But then wouldn't it show up for normal render?
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/overview.png

Roostervier
December 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Um, I saw in halo 3 that the gas canisters said hydrogen on them. What would the unsc need with an oil refinery?

Anyway, there's not much to go by, just an unfinished model. Why don't you wait to post something until you have a little more done? Like when you've already got something ingame. :\

Maybe then we can get a better idea of what you're trying to do and if you're going to complete it at all.

Rentafence
December 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Looks like it could be pretty cool. Get it farther along then post some more pics

TeeKup
December 13th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Make it a Hydrogen Processing plant instead.

Inferno
December 13th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Does it matter if its hydrogen or gas? As long as it looks cool and plays well who really gives a shit?

Bastinka
December 13th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Sorry to bother you about this again, but when have you ever finished a 'WIP' :|

SnaFuBAR
December 14th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Does it matter if its hydrogen or gas? As long as it looks cool and plays well who really gives a shit?
Why not give a shit? The care for consistency in every aspect of the work makes it better. As far as the giant tank (if that's what it is) sitting there, where did it come from? Did it topple over? Did it come off of a collapsed structure? How did it end up like that? The map should tell a story, and make sense. Just work on the continuity and flow of the map and it should look and play pretty good. Might I suggest taking a look at refineries for detailing ideas?

Chainsy
December 14th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I live in Texas, I see alot of them, anyways I have to add the stand and obviously some piping, theres a large exploded hole in the other side of the tank, and I need to add some bent service ladders and a hatch, ect.

Sever
December 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Listen to EVERY WORD that Snaf just typed. He's right on the money.

SnaFuBAR
December 14th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I live in Texas, I see alot of them, anyways I have to add the stand and obviously some piping, theres a large exploded hole in the other side of the tank, and I need to add some bent service ladders and a hatch, ect.

Oh, good then. Mind if we get a render from the opposing side and the level below so far?

dark57
December 14th, 2008, 12:19 AM
it looks a little plain. Maybe put some debrie or cover here and there.

Chainsy
December 14th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Ok snaf, I will get a quick render of the other side, and as for the bottom, theres nothing down there yet except the walls and floor and stairs, so nothing to show for it. Dark, mind reading my first post?

Hunter
December 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Well set in the arctic, this will be a UNSC oil refinery. I finished the basic model today, and am planning to go into detail on the first level (railings, generators,ect) and then add things such as crates and barrels for stragetic cover, then I will move on and populate the bottom level. It will feature 2 drastic gameplay differences depending on what path you choose, top level is bright, relatively uncluttered and will feature the ability to drive mongooses, the bottom level will be dark and clustered with alot of debris and broken down machinery, oh and the huge gap in the center is going to be cliffs.
I wanted this to be mainly a simple symmetrical map since it will be my first.
I am also aware of the open edge on the bottom of the pillars, and they have been sealed. Also can anyone tell me of the odd error I keep having for those walls, as you can see those triangle gaps there are not on the actual model, and a normal render plus omni shows it normally, but on the clay render it shows up, maybe an overlapping face? But then wouldn't it show up for normal render?
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/1chains1/overview.png

Looks really, nice the contained in the middle does seam a little odd. I would +rep but I can't

Evil_Monkey
December 14th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Make some sort of housing where the container use to sit. So it looks as if it has fell over or rolled off, either one.

Looking decent up to now though.

sdavis117
December 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
The UNSC used Heavy Hydrogen (Dueterium) to power their reactors. They still need good old gasoline to power their land vehicles.

Looks like the map will look good. My only issue is that snipers would have almost nothing to stop them.

Chainsy
December 14th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Actually no, theres only one high up place, and thats the bridge, and will only have cover for frontal pistol duels, so if anyone is stupid enough to try and camp it, they will be raped from all sides. plus when the cliffs get put in, plus the fallen container and its stand, plus the random debris I am putting in, this map will probably be pistol + shotty + assault rifle dominated, but the option of the sniper will be present.

Chainsy
December 14th, 2008, 10:50 AM
What?

Rentafence
December 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM
oh wait nevermind. deleted

Chainsy
December 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Watch me get infractioned for a double post, lol.