PDA

View Full Version : Helipad Search

KillerKip1
December 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hi,

I am new to these threads, but most of you should know me from Halo Maps.

I am searching for people to join our team, "Helipad Studios Game Development Team".

We do not "Just" work on Halo Custom Edition maps, we also are working on a project, "Halo: The Fall of Reach" CGI movie. Being done using AutoDesk Maya 2008, 3ds Max 8.0, and various other software.

(For reference, if you do not have software, or experience, we can teach, and offer it.)

I hope this does not sound like an advertisement, but I had to say it how it is, and its also because not many people think we can/are doing this. The script is being worked on by our Writer/Weapons Modeler, Fabian Jr.

If you want to join, see me on Xfire (KillerKip1) or message me, or even post here in this thread!

I am happy to answer questions about our World War II map (Developing), Ranger Track (Developing), Desert Dunes (Developing), or "Halo: The Fall of Reach" CGI movie.

Con
December 14th, 2008, 02:02 PM
People would be more willing to join your team if you show examples of work you've done already.

Disaster
December 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
People would be more willing to join your team if you show examples of work you've done already.
^

And considering your work is 99% halo related, shouldn't this be in the Halo Section?

KillerKip1
December 14th, 2008, 02:10 PM
^

And considering your work is 99% halo related, shouldn't this be in the Halo Section?

I guess, Here's our "Released" work, we have much unreleased stuff.
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=22466

Cody did all of the vehicles (except the coronet and those 2 demolished vehicles, they are from flat out 2, but cody converted them, animated them, rigged, etc.)

Con
December 14th, 2008, 02:37 PM
That's some pretty shifty work, that thread speaks for itself. I couldn't definitely say that any of that work is by your team. I could be wrong, but it's your job to convince us otherwise.

Disaster
December 14th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Seems like it would be "Cody's" Map and not your team map because if you needed a whole team to make that, then what you have on your agenda will most likely never happen.

Syuusuke
December 14th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I can't believe I took the time to read that thread.

How do you get things done in Halo with those settings?

KillerKip1
December 14th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Seems like it would be "Cody's" Map and not your team map because if you needed a whole team to make that, then what you have on your agenda will most likely never happen.

That thread is for Cody's ranger and the map thats being built for it, and its content.

And I assure you, that is Cody's models, all of those vehicles are. Cody is our vehicles designer, he has been with us since the start. Be modeled the Range after his own Ford Ranger.

We put the work out, that we feel is ready to be shown, not work that is "half-done".

Anyway, its up to you to join or not, I should'nt have to convince you, but since you ask to be convinced, I gave you some proof of Helipad Studios' current potential.

Our team age range is 11 years old - 25 years old.
(as a reference to the fact we do not discriminate age.)

We are strictly against infringment and illegally obtained items.

Jean-Luc
December 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Well uh...couple things, and don't take any of this as negative, because it's not intended that way.

First off, reading the thread about Cody's Ranger model. His grammar is nothing short of frightening, and it shows a level of un-professionalism, and I'm sorry, but it should not take 8 months to model that truck. Ever. 8 days? Maybe.

I appreciate that you guys want to take on a project like making The Fall of Reach into a movie. It's an ambitious project to be sure, but I'm sure it would be entertaining.

To get you on the right track, here are a few things I suggest:

1) Get a larger team. 5 people will not cut it for making a film, that's just asking for too much work from those people, and it also means an incredibly long development cycle.

2) Upgrade your hardware. If you want a really top-notch quality fan film, you need hardware that can run the programs you wish to use, and by looking at the Halo screenshots with the bad shaders, whoever took those images has a very bad system.

3) Look at tutorials, and practice a lot of techniques to improve everyone's skills before you attempt to take on a movie.

4) Concept art is your friend. Make lots of it.

Good Luck!

SnaFuBAR
December 14th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Aren't you the guys that thought you could make a Halo: Fall of Reach game and sell it to MS?

E: why is a boxy ford ranger 12k polies? get a new modeler.

Disaster
December 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Aren't you the guys that thought you could make a Halo: Fall of Reach game and sell it to MS?
Holy shit I just remembered that :lmao:

Chainsy
December 14th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Yes, there was an amazing thread at halomaps that made me giggle every time I saw it about him arguing with half the community. He also does "this" for every other word to sound sophisticated. He even gets on my nerves.

Disaster
December 14th, 2008, 03:37 PM
haha yeah. I remember that. It was a while back.

I doubt you will even going to get close to making a CG movie. :woop:

Gwunty
December 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
When are you going to realize that this is not going to happen :facepalm:

Hunter
December 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Lmao. Are you serious? How old are you people? You sound like 13...

The ranger needs some texture work... well...

1. Texture work.
2. Lower, poly, shouldn't be that high for that. But I can't talk for high poly.
3. It could do with a cubemap...

KillerKip1
December 14th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Well uh...couple things, and don't take any of this as negative, because it's not intended that way.

First off, reading the thread about Cody's Ranger model. His grammar is nothing short of frightening, and it shows a level of un-professionalism, and I'm sorry, but it should not take 8 months to model that truck. Ever. 8 days? Maybe.

I appreciate that you guys want to take on a project like making The Fall of Reach into a movie. It's an ambitious project to be sure, but I'm sure it would be entertaining.

To get you on the right track, here are a few things I suggest:

1) Get a larger team. 5 people will not cut it for making a film, that's just asking for too much work from those people, and it also means an incredibly long development cycle.

2) Upgrade your hardware. If you want a really top-notch quality fan film, you need hardware that can run the programs you wish to use, and by looking at the Halo screenshots with the bad shaders, whoever took those images has a very bad system.

3) Look at tutorials, and practice a lot of techniques to improve everyone's skills before you attempt to take on a movie.

4) Concept art is your friend. Make lots of it.

Good Luck!

Do not jump to conclusion, please,

The first ford ranger seen is the "old" ford ranger, done by Cody several months ago. He has rebuilt it entirely, and 8 months is the "entire" time it took to make, from the start of modeling, to the current state. It is still being worked on to lower the polygons.

The thread was intended for the showing of Cody's work, and the track being built to race those vehicles.

If you were to see the Ranger model itself, it is VERY detailed, even the engine is done in 3D.

Now, about my hardware, I am working on that, as I am currently going to get a 100gig hard drive, and a 1gig ram chip for my laptop, making it a lot better. I am also working on the hardware of my older desktop, upgrading it from WIN2000 Pro, to WIN XP Pro, and (maybe) 2 new Ram chips, as the current (3) chips are not the biggest it can handle.

We are learning as we go, the whole point of Helipad Studios is to create and learn, and have fun at the same time.

And, no offence intended, but NEVER look at a team, and just because of there grammer, discriminate there ability to be serious when working.

Also, to find out what working with us is like, you have to join, please do not make assumptions that may lead to negative feedback to our Team.

Actually, we are looking for a concept artist, have been for quite some time.so we have been holding off on new content for the movie, and I am doing my best to make some. (Anybody want to do some drawings?)

Disaster
December 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM
The thread was intended for the showing of Cody's work, and the track being built to race those vehicles.

No this thread was intended to recruit people for a team with only 1 person who does work, And isn't very good at it.

I know I'm joining :dance: [/sarcasm.]

Higuy
December 14th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I lol'd.

paladin
December 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM

Because it is what you said: a box, that has been tessellated and and extruded.

Disaster
December 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
you forgot the most important part, A box that was tessellated, extruded, and that took 8 months :haw:

KillerKip1
December 14th, 2008, 04:27 PM

It was definatly not done like that.
It is not a primitive.

-----------------------------------

people, please, if you want maturity, show it yourself. Making smart-a remarks only shows how serious you are about life, and how much you disrespect others around you.

I came here recruiting, not to be insulted, please be productive in helping, or please leave.

------------------------------------

I was talking about the thread on Halo Maps, not this thread, the one on halomaps is about the Ranger, this is about recruiting.

And since that thread is about only ONE person, than it shows only ONE person work. I have not shown any other work, as we are planning for the movie, and making other maps.

------------------------------------

I came here, because Halo Maps has a large majority of imature users, (Those users do not reflect on Dennis, Dennis is not responsible for their actions.) So I came here to find help, and instead, I got the same people, bandwagoning the team that is doing something on to be productive. So stop saying "you can't" and start helping, if you don't want to help, then leave.

Jean-Luc
December 14th, 2008, 04:36 PM
There's something you need to know. We're occasionally often brutal here with what we say, and there is usually good reason for it.

So yes, while that Ranger was only one person's work, we are saying that it is not great work. An accurate model it appears, but the development time on creating that one model is far too long for the team to make a movie.

Don't take everything we say as smartass remarks or insults. We are trying to get you and your team to realize how a project like this would work.

As for you getting annoyed about my assumptions on Cody's grammer, this is how it works. If you don't use good grammar when talking about your work, or talking to someone, it shows immaturity. I don't know him, so for all I know he could be a very mature, responsible person with great work ethic. However, the grammar he uses suggests otherwise.

Another large thing here, going back to the truck. I 100% guarentee you that it is possible to make a truck looking exactly like that in under 4,000 polygons, easily. While the effort isn't bad, it needs to be severely optimized.

If you can show us other work that proves that your team is truly serious about this challenge (and believe me, it's a challenge), then I fully support you.

Disaster
December 14th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Post some more goddamn work if you want people to join. Just saying your going to make a movie isn't going to make me want to join your team. Especially when you want to show off a horribly done truck. I'm guessing that's the only model your team has that's even worth showing?

paladin
December 14th, 2008, 06:33 PM
It was definatly not done like that.
It is not a primitive.

Can I see a wire frame. It suuuuuuuuuure looked like a he made a Rubix Cube and pulled the faces out with the extrude tool. /maturity

moar pix kthnxbi /immaturity

Con
December 14th, 2008, 06:42 PM
this isn't going anywhere

paladin
December 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Use you powers for a good reason mb?

SnaFuBAR
December 16th, 2008, 01:40 AM
hey, killerkip, you're not allowed to unlock moderator locked threads, just a heads up.

legionaire45
December 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Lets be very blunt here.

If you want anybody in the world to take you seriously you are going to have to show that you have even basic skill in what you are trying to accomplish. Showing off a poorly modeled Ford pickup truck is not going to convince anyone here that your team is even worth scoffing at. That may have worked at Halomaps but we do not give out kudo points for free here. What you will get is honest criticism from experienced game artists. Some of it may sting at first but you will learn, you will grow and you will become a real artist instead of the frauds that you find on Halomaps.

From what we have seen of you so far, you are obviously a novice. That is fine. Don't act like a professional. You will get burned very badly if you try to do that. We know what we are talking about and talking down to use like we are children will not work, because you are the child and we are the teachers.

First things first, what I would suggest for you is to go to our Studio Section, grab some of the modeling tutorial links from the Resources sticky and have your modelers complete those tutorials. From what we have seen, your team does not have sufficient modeling skill to do anything more than make real artists laugh. Change that by watching those tutorials and make us take you seriously.

After your team actually has some level of skill, start out small. Make a simple map or two as a team. Search around for some general level design advice/tutorials and focus on something - do you want your map to showcase your skill as level designers? Modelers? Texturers? Whatever. Make something that is played for more than a minute and you can call yourself a game developer.

Then, when you have earned the respect of the community, can you propose something this large in scale and actually get a positive response.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice that this was a previously locked topic. Please don't maim me.

p0lar_bear
December 17th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Wierd. The moderator logs note that this thread was closed, yet it's open without someone opening it (yes, it would log a normal user as opening a closed thread).

Whatever. I'll keep it open.

Anyway, killerkip, I honestly don't think anyone is going to take this seriously. The only thing on your resume is a Ford Ranger in a test racing map.

Most of the talent here is busy with projects of their own, be them Halo related or not, and they will only consider jumping ship if they'd be working with people who truly know what they're doing, are willing to follow through with what they start (something nearly every mod team in CE can't seem to do), and most importantly, come off as such.

Kalub
December 17th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I wish I could find my test map with my Awesome Hogs™ in it.... totally owned the Ranger.

In other news, good luck. See you later?