PDA

View Full Version : so who saw The Day the Earth Stood Still?

StankBacon
December 14th, 2008, 02:23 PM
anyone see it yet?

i liked it alot, not as good as i thought it was gonna be... but meh.

http://www.hivclan.net/hivshack/images/k4083bc44tbe7hcty21j.png (http://www.hivclan.net/hivshack/)

needed more of gort.

what did you all think?

Con
December 14th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I thought it needed more gort too, and the ending wasn't as dramatic as it could have been. It wasn't up to par with the original, but I still enjoyed it.

Alwin Roth
December 14th, 2008, 02:49 PM
can you explain the storyline? i saw trailers, and it looked good.

Con
December 14th, 2008, 03:01 PM
It's based on the black and white original if you've never seen it. The movie is about an ambassador from space representing many civilizations. He wishes to speak with world leaders, threatening that earth (in the new movie, humans) will be destroyed if humanity does not change its destructive ways. This remake is a little bit different in story and details, but the same idea.

Ifafudafi
December 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Like "An Inconvenient Truth," but with aliens, apocalyptic threats, and Keanu Reeves.

I'd post an elaborate review, but basically, meh. The themes and impact have been done to death so many times since the original that now it just looks like another pro-environmental movie in disguise, which I've had enough of.

Not a bad movie, so to speak, but not a good one either. I prefer the original.
And yes, KNEEDS MOAR Gort.

TheGhost
December 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Is this worth seeing? I saw it did horrible on RT and was thinking I wasn't going to go see it anymore.

Ifafudafi
December 14th, 2008, 03:13 PM
If you haven't seen the original and/or need a way to spend the weekend, it's better than Generic Romance Comedy #527.

I saw it with friends at the local Alamo Drafthouse and downed some beer, which may have influenced my judement slightly, but as I said, it's not bad. Just don't expect a masterpiece.

Con
December 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Go watch it, also you can see the awesome trailers like for the next terminator and 2012.

Beckinsale
December 15th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I thought, lol, so it is true mostly kids play Alliance. The kid should of bubble hearthed. :|

Limited
December 15th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Looks pants to me, I'll wait for DVD. Sure special effects won't be as good (and the film has lots apparently)

ICEE
December 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Looks pants to me, I'll wait for DVD. Sure special effects won't be as good (and the film has lots apparently)

What? Pants?

NuggetWarmer
December 15th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I thought it was great. Yeah, not really what I expected, and a few scenes dragged on, but still awesome.

Also, this is more-or-less based off of the book and not the old movie based off of the book. In other words, this one is more accurate to how it was written.

Choking Victim
December 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM
It was entertaining, ill give it that.

There were many flaws, for example the ending.
We're here to save the planet, but here's a bunch of metallic robot bees that will kill the planet anyway by littering the very ground you walk on.

Gwunty
December 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
The original plan to save the planet was to destroy anything human\humans, but when the plan was aborted the bees were shut off and left there. intentionaly they were never ment to be shut off, so yhea...

Choking Victim
December 15th, 2008, 06:05 PM
The original plan to save the planet was to destroy anything human\humans, but when the plan was aborted the bees were shut off and left there. intentionaly they were never ment to be shut off, so yhea...
Even so, you would think intelligent beings that want to save life-supporting planets would have an environment-friendly backup plan...

Limited
December 15th, 2008, 06:09 PM
What? Pants?
Yeah, looks pants, the expression, I suppose the American version would be Looks underwear, but that doesnt sound right...As in doesnt look very good.

I'm a bit worried this film will basically tell me if I dont get my act together, recycle/walk/help environment I will basically kill the planet. I dont want this film to have a strong political statement, I already know planet will be doomed if we dont fix it.

Huero
December 15th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Sorry brosef, we don't have that phrase.
I wanted to see this movie but I ended up seeing Australia.

StankBacon
December 15th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah, looks pants, the expression, I suppose the American version would be Looks underwear,

lol, no.

TeeKup
December 15th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I've seen better.

DEElekgolo
December 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Seemed to me they lost funding during production. They could have been more creative with it. The original black and white movie was cool though.

Corndogman
December 16th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I thought it was pretty good. Entertaining at least, but of course Keanu was in it so...

Honestly though, his acting was pretty terrible, normally I can stand it, but this was awful. Especially the part where he was speaking whatever Asian language that was, god he sounded like a computer.

Still was pretty awesome, Gort/special effects wise. needed more GORT though.

skz333
December 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
i didnt see it but the newspaper said "it could have been more" whatev.

we saw Australia and transporter 3 ..both fine. but the really good movies out now are the ones you never hear about. like..

The boy in the striped pajamas.

Bodzilla
December 18th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Needs more, "the wrestler"

now i'm really interested in this, Mickey Rourke is a legend.
gmexs37gVRU

oh fuck yes.