PDA

View Full Version : She called 911 and the cops turned up 48 min later

Mr Buckshot
December 16th, 2008, 10:22 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/16/grace.coldcase.zimmerman/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

The least anyone can do is to sack the idiot dispatcher or at least give him suspension without pay. People like that are a disgrace to the police force. It’s worse than some other case I watched about the cops turning up at the wrong address (while a murder took place at the correct one).

Masterz1337
December 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
This really isn't that uncommon.

Heathen
December 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
around here it is.

The cops show up around <10 minutes after calling.

Mr Buckshot
December 16th, 2008, 10:48 PM
In Canada, too, 911 response is always prompt. It's valued that much that there are very harsh fines for drivers who delay emergency vehicles.

I hope the force can learn from this tragedy...

FluffyDucky™
December 16th, 2008, 11:00 PM
And if they just went anyways she would still be alive. Fucking police are useless over there it seems. In Australia, a neighbor can call up the police to say they think someone is breaking in next door and within 10 minutes there's a cop car with two officers at the house. If it was something like this, they'd fucking ZOOOOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOM and get there.

NuggetWarmer
December 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM
At my old house, the cops normally showed up about two hours after we called them, and that was on a good day.

FluffyDucky™
December 16th, 2008, 11:22 PM
So if I come and kill you and everyone in your house, I could pretty much get out of the country before the cops could find me? COOL! :awesome:

p0lar_bear
December 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Sometimes something accidentally falls on the 911 quickdial button on our phone at work, and the dispatcher calls right back to ask what happened. I would imagine that if there was no answer, they'd dispatch the police to here to investigate.

When someone calls 911, it's either an emergency, an accident, or some jackass crank calling. No matter the case, someone should have been sent ASAP to at least investigate.

Limited
December 16th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Police here are pretty decent, I think the average is 4 minutes tops.

Although, today someone I know, who has a serious lung illness who has had a chest infection for a few days, rang up 999 and said that she couldnt breath at all. They stated her as emergency but said an ambulance would be around within 4 hours. 4 fucking hours, I could be stabbed in the street and it would have taken 4 hours to respond. In the end the girl was taken to hospital by a friend in a car. Bloody ridiculous.

Thiscase is pretty fucked up too, 48 minutes is way too much, although from what I read they thought there was no emergency. So the followed the book, just made a fucked up judgment that everything was hunky dorey.

FluffyDucky™
December 16th, 2008, 11:33 PM
How could they say they didn't think it was an emergency?

Did you miss this?

Although the dispatcher claimed later to have heard nothing, the 911 tape captured screams, gasps and what sounds like a struggle, according to the court documents.

Cortexian
December 16th, 2008, 11:55 PM
911 emergency response is all under 15 minutes here, 20 minutes in harsh road conditions. Honestly though, dispatchers aren't allowed to fuck up like this, hell they're not ALLOWED to have a bad day.

I enforce these rules with my mind.

I have now destroyed this dispatcher in my mind.

Honestly though, dispatcher should be fired and black listed.

Phopojijo
December 16th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah at McDonalds there was a drug deal gone bad in the lobby the year before I joined. Guy got sliced with a knife... took 2-3 hours for 911 to send anyone.

Note: That was Canada Day >_>

Amit
December 17th, 2008, 12:04 AM
In Canada, too, 911 response is always prompt. It's valued that much that there are very harsh fines for drivers who delay emergency vehicles.

I hope the force can learn from this tragedy...

It's almost scary how fast they respond over here. You know why? Because it fucking matters!

Con
December 17th, 2008, 12:10 AM
At my old house, the cops normally showed up about two hours after we called them, and that was on a good day.
When is it a good day when you have to call the cops to your house?

Mr Buckshot
December 17th, 2008, 12:24 AM
It's almost scary how fast they respond over here. You know why? Because it fucking matters!

Yeah, basic human lives are valued more in Canada than anywhere else. Over in BC, the only thing that can slow emergency vehicles down is downtown traffic (our roads are bit underdeveloped, sadly), but everyone willingly gives way.

These vagrants should not be allowed to just knock on doors like that. I mean, no one is obliged to help them. I am willing to donate to the homeless from time to time (especially those buskers, I always try to drop a dollar into their cans) but I don’t appreciate having a homeless dude waltzing up to me with an outstretched hand. It reminds of the time when I lived in America – my family had just left a restaurant in San Francisco and we were getting into our minivan, and then some homeless dude just stuck his hand in and blocked the sliding door. My dad got pretty jumpy and thrust a $5 bill into his hand, afraid he might try something violent, but fortunately he GTFO’ed and we drove out of the parking lot at record speed.

May the girl rest in peace, may the dispatcher be appropriately disciplined. I don’t celebrate Christmas, but I can understand the family thing and all, and sadly the fiancé and the girl’s family are not going to have a merry Xmas.

Yeah, I caught the detail about the 911 tape recording evidence of gasping and struggles. Either the dispatcher has hearing issues (in which case he wouldn’t have a job like that), or he’s just stupid.

paladin
December 17th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I've call the cops on the noisy neighbors and sat an watched for them to show up. 2 hours later I was very disappointed and tired.

Gamerkd16
December 17th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I've call the cops on the noisy neighbors and sat an watched for them to show up. 2 hours later I was very disappointed and tired.
Not technically an "emergency". They would have other more important matters to attend to before yours.

mech
December 17th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Cops show up when they feel like it in Detroit, all 3 of them.

rossmum
December 17th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I've only needed to call the cops once, to deal with a D&D who was attempting to get into my house (he wasn't likely to, but I called to be on the safe side). They showed up within 15-20 minutes, and this was at 3AM.

Timo
December 17th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Yeah, basic human lives are valued more in Canada than anywhere else.

Are you serious :| Just because one stupid person exists and does one stupid thing in a country of 300 million people doesn't mean that the rest of the world doesn't value human life as much as Canada does. I understand that this is a tragic mistake that shouldn't have happened, but come on.

Hotrod
December 17th, 2008, 06:45 AM
This is disgusting, 48 minutes? Hell, if something like that happened over here, the cops would be there immediately. As it has been said before, everybody moves over for emergency vehicles here, no matter what.

I hope that the girl's family and friends go through these times as well as possible.

=sw=warlord
December 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM
emergency services over here in britain have reuglations saying the time limit they must be under.
For nearly all of the main emergency services [police, ambulance and fire] the services must be at the premises within 13 minutes 20 minutes if it is a long distance aka 25+ miles.

dark57
December 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM
wow thats just sad. If someone calls and theres no noise at all there should be atleast 1 cop car sent over asap to investigate.

Amit
December 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM
wow thats just sad. If someone calls and theres no noise at all there should be atleast 1 cop car sent over asap to investigate.

In my town if you call and nobody is there everything is sent. Here, if you call and hang up, they call back and after the 6th ring if you don't pick up, they send everything. For any problem, they send everything, not just the police. My house is geographically closer to the Fire Station so the Fire Trucks get here first. Never happened to me, but some idiot pre-teen down the street called 9-1-1 and hanged up. Parents weren't too happy when they found out they had to pay hundreds of dollars for that false alarm.

paladin
December 17th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Not technically an "emergency". They would have other more important matters to attend to before yours.

It was an emergency. I am the most important person in my state and had to wake up early.

jngrow
December 17th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I read the topic title, and looked at the first response. The topic should have ended there. This shit happens all the time, with longer response time.

cheezdue
December 17th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Wtf, that is messed up. The police should have been dispatched right away if they heard her screaming.