PDA

View Full Version : Article on piracy

343guiltymc
December 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM
http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html
Interesting read, I loled at the part where people who pirated games contacted the game's tech support because they can't even install their cracked copies properly.
Edit:Wrong page, should be right now

Sel
December 24th, 2008, 03:45 PM
This is an article about piracy?

I don't see any mention of it at all :|

Joshflighter
December 24th, 2008, 03:58 PM
This is an article about piracy?

I don't see any mention of it at all :|

Yea, I don't see it either...

Con
December 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM
article fail

343guiltymc
December 24th, 2008, 04:48 PM
article fail
You mean the link, or the actual article itself?

NullZero
December 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
That website in general is a pretty good read, but that's subjective.

JunkfoodMan
December 24th, 2008, 05:42 PM
it certainly discouraged me from piracy.

ThePlague
December 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I think piracy is a pretty cool guy, he gets free games for us middle class people and doesn't afraid of anything.

But seriously, they shouldn't get all butt hurt about piracy, they are still having people play the games they created, but without the profit. It's a win for us, and a lesson for them, maybe make crappier games next time, or just deal with the fact that people will continue to download games illegally, and just move on because they won't stop.

Joshflighter
December 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I think piracy is a pretty cool guy, he gets free games for us middle class people and doesn't afraid of anything.

But seriously, they shouldn't get all butt hurt about piracy, they are still having people play the games they created, but without the profit. It's a win for us, and a lesson for them, maybe make crappier games next time, or just deal with the fact that people will continue to download games illegally, and just move on because they won't stop.

Don't forget that gaming companies make so much millions of dollars its not funny. So just because I download to see if the game is shit or not, does not affect the profit really. People work there ass off for that coin, and here are some million dollar companies (Or billion dollar companies) that are complaining for the few extra dollars. Some of us aren't rich enough to buy and just to see if a game is good or not. Most companies create crap nowadays and advertise it as amazing.

As long as the workers aren't living on the street, they are fine. Also, trust me, unless its a small company, most workers already made a BIG profit. There all just butt-hurt cause that's how all rich people are. With out that penny, they wouldnt make the million because he would only have $999,999.99. :|

ThePlague
December 24th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Don't forget that gaming companies make so much millions of dollars its not funny. So just because I download to see if the game is shit or not, does not affect the profit really. People work there ass off for that coin, and here are some million dollar companies (Or billion dollar companies) that are complaining for the few extra dollars. Some of us aren't rich enough to buy and just to see if a game is good or not. Most companies create crap nowadays and advertise it as amazing.

As long as the workers aren't living on the street, they are fine. Also, trust me, unless its a small company, most workers already made a BIG profit. There all just butt-hurt cause that's how all rich people are. With out that penny, they wouldnt make the million because he would only have $999,999.99. :|
Exactly.

Also, I just noticed that article is spelled wrong =/

LlamaMaster
December 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Piracy isn't always a loss for companies, because a good percentage of pirates wouldn't be willing the buy the products even if they were uncrackable. (sup vast majority of 3DS max mod users)

Bastinka
December 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM
If the game sucks, then it should be free.

Secondly try before buy.

klange
December 25th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Piracy isn't always a loss for companies, because a good percentage of pirates wouldn't be willing the buy the products even if they were uncrackable. (sup vast majority of 3DS max mod users)
Ding ding ding ding ding. This man knows what he is talking about.

@The Plague: That's the first thing I noticed when I looked at this thread.

kenney001
December 26th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I believe that to a degree piracy actually helps sales. As LlamaMaster said, a lot of people wouldn't buy the games even if they were uncrackable. In the end, the pirates spread the word about a game to friends/family/the internet, and form a sort of sub-surface advertising.

Now I'm not denying that pirating is an issue, but just stating that a lot of pirates aren't downloading the game because they really want to play it, but because there's an availability for a free few hours of fun that they wouldn't even bother with if it came out of their pocket. I have pirated just about every game I own, and if I like it, I go buy it. I have done so with Need for speed, COD4, Halo 2, Crysis, and even farcry 2. If I couldn't pirate them, I probably wouldn't have learned about them let alone BOUGHT them. They get my money either way...at no loss to them.

And I think the new SecuRom used in Farcry 2 is awesome. Not only does it minimally affect the legitimate user, but it seriously deters the would-be pirate. I had a bitch trying to find a crack, and that still was a week or so after the official release. I bought the game, and have had 0 issues with it.

n00b1n8R
December 26th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I really don't see piracy costing the industry.

The people who pirate games likely wouldn't have bought the games even if that was the only way to get them. Hell, some people pirate first, then buy it because they liked it so much (so in that respect, it's actually good for the industry).

That applies to the music industry as well.

E: see's kennny's post.
Also, you pirated H2??

kenney001
December 26th, 2008, 10:27 AM
E: see's kennny's post.
Also, you pirated H2??

Yes, before the game came out. I tried it out, and went out and bought the actual.

Gamerkd16
December 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Yes, before the game came out. I tried it out, and went out and bought the actual.
Well yeah, because with some pirated copies you can't go online with them. So try the game by yourself with a pirated copy, if you like it enough, you go buy it for the pleasure of playing online with actual people. ds6f9sd7f98s7df98s7d98f7sd98f7 I've never heard of this PiRacY before...

Besides, some of the trial restrictions are dumb. Full access, timed trials are way better than limited access, forever trials. Full access is the only way you can experience it all. With the Halo trial, it was limited access. Why buy a game on just Bloodgulch? I need more experience than that for a want to buy.

Amit
December 26th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Exactly.

It's just mind boggling to see that almost everyone in this thread has actually admitted to pirating. Hell, even if you do it don't outright say it. Use manipulative words :iiam:.

Valid points, though.

Inferno
December 26th, 2008, 08:14 PM
-Editing cause I dun like 5 point infractions-

Gamerkd16
December 26th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Exactly.

Damn, that bugs the hell out of me. It's an easy word too.

It's just mind boggling to see that almost everyone in this thread has actually admitted to pirating. Hell, even if you do it don't outright say it. Make it manipulative words :iiam:.
ITT: We all admit to crimes we have committed. :lol:

LlamaMaster
December 26th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Guys, don't directly admit to pirating or Timo will rape you...

Joshflighter
December 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM
If I make ask... How?

We are in a cyber world after all, it would be hard to arouse my pleasure area with someone so far, not to be even be able to be delighted in such pleasure.

On topic:

Take a read of this, might open your eyes, might not. :)

"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

The site that sadly has that on there homepage was basicly forced to shut there site down. Even with the act of freedom. :mad:

Phopojijo
December 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah... I'm hoping I don't understand the above post...

Kilamanjaro12
December 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Guys, don't directly admit to pirating or Timo will rape you...

thats kinda hot. no homo xD, but still piracy = jail time

LlamaMaster
December 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
If I make ask... How?

We are in a cyber world after all, it would be hard to arouse my pleasure area with someone so far, not to be even be able to be delighted in such pleasure.

On topic:

Take a read of this, might open your eyes, might not. :)

"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

The site that sadly has that on there homepage was basicly forced to shut there site down. Even with the act of freedom. :mad:
What the fuck? Guys, please explain this post to me. :confused2:

AddoExitium
December 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM

ur not the only one thats been thinking "WTF?!" to that post

Joshflighter
December 26th, 2008, 10:16 PM

Lmao, I will...

The first part was me trying to merely make sense of what you wrote above that.

The second part is explaining that piracy wrong or right, it effects the big guys. The site that was shut was due to piracy being uploaded on it.

www.torrentspy.com (http://www.torrentspy.com)

Its down now, but it shows even if you think piracy is right or wrong, if a big crook like the government doesn't like you.. you dont stand a chance. Basically your screwed. Hope I am making sense.. lol. I might as well get some sleep. :|

Amit
December 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM
if a big crook like the government doesn't like you.. you dont stand a chance. Basically your screwed.

No, if you do illegal shit and get caught, you're screwed. See? The system works.

Btw, why are mostly newbs posting in this thread.

Heathen
December 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Piracy

o?

I thought we had rules about piracy discussion.

Gamerkd16
December 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Piracy

o?

I thought we had rules about piracy discussion.
I don't think so, no links have been posted yet.

343guiltymc
December 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I don't think so, no links have been posted yet.
We obviously can't promote piracy.

Bodzilla
December 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM
There was a hell of alot of un-neccessary garbage in that Article that just turned what could of been a compelling read into a journey down Ye Ol' High school Textbook road.

i'll read alot of things, and i have alot of patience, but god dam.

TL;DR

E: and Amit is right, most of you if not all of you should edit your posts now to reference piracy, instead of an act of guilt, It looks bad for the site, and that kind of information in the wrong hands is also very very bad for you.
Not to mention depending on how the mods look at it, you could be slapped with a 5 point infraction that takes a year to expire.

i know, because i've had that infraction.

Botolf
December 27th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Piracy is bad and pirates should feel bad.