PDA

View Full Version : Terabyte Hard Drive - Manufacturer Poll

klange
December 25th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Alright, Internet, here's the deal: I'm getting a single SATA disk to slap in my server for storage, but I've got some questions. First up is the poll above: Seagate, WD, or someone else. Second is something few of you are capable of making a rational choice on but I'll ask anyway: Should I spend three hours figuring out how to mount the drive for pure storage (my sites, email, random media) and leave my OS and apps on my 40GB, or just dump the entire system onto the TB disk and leave only swap space and small space on the 40?

(Running Ubuntu 8.04 server, Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc.; server has 2GB of RAM and a 1GB swap at the moment)

Price is important. I'm currently eying a $110 Seagate.

dg
December 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I just got a 1.5TB Seagate. Some people complained of it freezing and what not, but I have yet to have any issues.

It only cost $130. And there's a firmware update in case you do see problems.

TheGhost
December 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I have 4x 1 TB HDDs from Western Digital and they are all good. That 1.5 is looking pretty good though, I wonder what WD will put out.

NuggetWarmer
December 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Seagate, for the win. I have a 500gb one, and it works great!

Rob Oplawar
December 25th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I say Western Digital because they have a slightly better average rating on Newegg, and I've also used slightly more WDs than Seagates. I've had one of each fail on me, one WD 500GB and one Seagate 200GB, but I can't really say I have enough experience with both brands to make an informed decision either way. So, I go with what the survey says.

Pyong Kawaguchi
December 26th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I got a samsung 1tb hdd for 99$ off of newegg, it runs great with 7200rpm

Pope
December 26th, 2008, 03:55 PM
500 gig Western Digital MyBook. Great for moving tons of stuff fast. I can even capture digital tapes right on to it, albeit a little slower but still speeds were surprising.

Jelly
December 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I'm currently running a Samsung Spinpoint F1 terabyte drive. It's done the job well so far.

Bodzilla
December 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I have 4x 1 TB HDDs from Western Digital and they are all good. That 1.5 is looking pretty good though, I wonder what WD will put out.
Dear god, how much pr0n do you people go through :S

what could yas possibly need 4 TB of space for..... dam..

Warsaw
December 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
One for each category man. Can't have my pr0n mixing.

Also, I say WD, because I'm biased, and have never used a drive from the other companies. I hear Seagate is pretty good though.