PDA

View Full Version : Snowboarding

Wakeboy1337
December 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Sunday morning I will be leaving to head up to Ski Beech in North Carolina. I've never snowboarded before at all. Nor have I even seen snow since I was 7. Has anyone here been snowboarding before or is a snowboarder? Close as I can come to that is Wakeboarding but that a little different since I have a handle to hold for balance and I'm soft flexible water, Not hard packed snow.

So modacity I ask... Any tips for a first time rider?

Rob Oplawar
December 27th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I'm totally pro. I'm a wicked sick pro.

No but srsly, I do go snowboarding every winter. My guess is that it is very, very different from wakeboarding. I've never done that, but I have a feeling that water is very different from ice.

Well, my advice is, be persistent.
You're going to fall down a lot. Don't be that guy, who decides he's having a horrible time just because he keeps falling down. Just learn to roll with it, to try and slide/roll to avoid hurting yourself when you fall, but more importantly, get up and keep going.

But I probably didn't need to tell you that.
Have fun!

Wakeboy1337
December 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Haha I am aware I'm going to fall. You guys shall have plenty of pics of me falling.

I will have fun though, thanks.

Btw if you ever have the chance, try wakeboarding.

Rob Oplawar
December 27th, 2008, 12:18 AM
will do

e: OH ALSO important thing. Don't try to catch yourself with your hands when you fall. I messed up my wrists doing that. Do use your arms, but don't just stick em out straight.

Heathen
December 27th, 2008, 12:34 AM
now is not soft

Thats my tip.

Bodzilla
December 27th, 2008, 01:04 AM
everybody falls in snowboarding.

everybody.

Con
December 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I'm a skier, got some new skis this xmas : D

Timo
December 27th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I snowboard, it's awesome. Just get ready to fall down a lot and risk your wrists (unless you wear guards) is the only advice I can give :p

Wakeboy1337
December 27th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I'm a skier, got some new skis this xmas : D

I'd like to see :)

FluffyDuckyâ„¢
December 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I've skied! Fucking love it, lulul! Most people that snowboard fall a lot more then skiers, and yeah, wrists will hurt. Timo speaks teh truth.

Syuusuke
December 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM
He spoketh more truth: wear wristguards.

Gonna go snowboarding in two weeks =D

Geo
December 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I snowboard. But like Timo said, its a better idea to fall on your butt then trying to save yourself with your wrists. Also having a board that fits you properly really helps. I just got a new snowboard for christmas :D. K2 boards ftw

Wakeboy1337
December 27th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Well since I will be renting a board at the resort, what should I go for? I know all this when it comes to wakeboarding and water skiing but not at all for snowboarding.

CWB Wakeboards ftw!

I'm 175 pounds btw

Geo
December 27th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Well as for the type of board, that is really your choice depending on how much you want to spend. But as for the size, I would suggest something like a 158 or a 160 cm. That would probably fit you good.

Inferno
December 27th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Snow boarding is the shit. Love it. Best tip is learn to carve back and forth as fast as you can. Once you can do that you can start doing fun shit like tricks.

Ive only been twice but Ive landed a 180 and Ive also 50-50'd a rail at the winter park stunt course.

Con
December 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I'd like to see :)
They're at the shop right now gettin the bindings put on

Wakeboy1337
December 27th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Ah ok.

What brand are your skis and bindings?

Geo
December 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
They're at the shop right now gettin the bindings put on

You don't know how to do it yourself?

Donut
December 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
i usually go to new hampshire to ski, but the snow has sucked up there the past couple of years. just incase you ever plan on going to new hampshire.
or it could just be my old school's "unique" vacation schedule that gets me up north after all the good stuff is gone.
i have snow boarded a few times too. i almost broke my ass.

Apoc4lypse
December 27th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I snowboard and did break my ass... yesterday... xD well not actually broken, but u know what i mean.

Well, always try to have your hands in fists, to avoid breaking any fingers, then also avoid trying to cushion your falls with your hands/wrists, if you need to use the elbow, its stronger.

Is someone teaching you at least?? Just wondering, cuz its probably going to be frustratinng figuring out how to turn if no one is telling you what to do. Its not as simple as simply leaning and turning, also in most water sports (I surf) you tend to lean back with more weight on the backfoot for turning, in snowboarding its opposite, turns start with your front foot and u usually keep about 70% weight on the forward foot, and 30% on the back so you can turn. Basically, depending on what way you want to turn, your gonna apply weight using your front foot to either your toe edge (edge infront of your foot) or the heel edge (edge in the back of your foot) Thats basically how you start turns, you don't want your back toe edge to dig in though at the same time if your doing a toe side turn (at least when your starting the turn), otherwise the whole toe edge of the board will just dig into the snow and u'll probably fall.

Also, heel side turns are easier to learn first, they work the same way, just replace wherever I said toe with heel... its the same thing basically.

Lateksi
December 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I've been snowboarding about 6 years and only thing I can say is that you shouldn't try anything too hard cause you can have fun just riding. And like the guys here said wrists get hurt if all your body's + snowboard's weight pushes your wrists in a 90 degree angle :S Yes jumps and riding in forests with friends is funner but its harder too. Have fun!

Rob Oplawar
December 27th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Well since I will be renting a board at the resort, what should I go for?

If you can, get strap-on bindings as opposed to clip-in bindings. Clip in looks better in theory, but strap on gives you better control over your board, is more secure, and most importantly (imo) it doesn't get impossibly gummed up with ice like the clip-ins do. If you get clip-ins, you'll need to bring an ice pick along to chip the ice out of the bindings later on in the day.

Con
December 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Ah ok.

What brand are your skis and bindings?
Head

You don't know how to do it yourself?
It came free with the purchase of the skis, why not? I don't have the drill anyway.

FRain
December 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Sunday morning I will be leaving to head up to Ski Beech in North Carolina. I've never snowboarded before at all. Nor have I even seen snow since I was 7. Has anyone here been snowboarding before or is a snowboarder? Close as I can come to that is Wakeboarding but that a little different since I have a handle to hold for balance and I'm soft flexible water, Not hard packed snow.

So modacity I ask... Any tips for a first time rider?

I am a first-time boarder and we probably will go up to the passes next week. You should figure out what's more for you, snowboarding or skiing. I am a boarder, and due to the most recent washington snowstorm, I had enough snow to ride down a hill in my backyard (pretty steep). I first went on skis and was completely lost. My friend brought his board over and I felt right at home with it. You should figure out if you like boarding or skiing better. Some people can get on skis and feel absolutely in control. Some people are just totally lost when they get on skis IE: me. Same with snowboards, some people are really awesome at it, some people are really at home with it, and some people just can't do it.

Now, boarding is really easy, all you need to do is strap in or clip in (my friends board has clip ins, and they're a pain in the ass, so try to get straps). and ride down a hill, like a skateboard except you don't have to worry about falling off.

Boarding is hella fun, and you can learn it fast, so you should try it. You should also try skis and see if you're good at that, too.

E: Don't worry about falling, brace yourself with your ARMS and not your HANDS. You can fuck up your hands that way. I almost did, and noticed it so I moved. Falling is a part of it too, because unless you make it all the way to the bottom of the course/mountain you're going to fall.

Wakeboy1337
December 27th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I used to water ski before Wakeboarding.

To me, Wakeboarding is second nature. Waterskiing was always alot of work and hurt my back hella bad.

Geo
December 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Head

It came free with the purchase of the skis, why not? I don't have the drill anyway.

Oh ok. Yeah I would do that too. I only ever need my board tuned for me, and then most of the time I have it waxed while their at it.

Hotrod
December 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I personally prefer skiing over snowboarding, but have fun anyways.

And about setting up your own bindings, it could be hard for people that don't know how to do it, and they could risk doing something wrong, and hurting themselves in the long run if ever they fall. For most, it's better and easier to just get it done by somebody who knows what they're doing.

LunawolfGirl
December 28th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Here's a tip: Come back to Florida, you dick. :}

dark57
December 28th, 2008, 07:21 PM
OMG FLORIDA RUUUUUUUULEs!
also dolphin won :awesome:

Rob Oplawar
December 28th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Florida sucks big hairy donkey balls. Before you say it, yes, I have lived in Florida. Trust me. It sucks big floppy donkey dick. They have this bizarre, disgusting fetish for donkeys...

dark57
December 28th, 2008, 07:45 PM
so i take it you dont like donkeys?

FRain
December 28th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Washington = FAIL

that is, unless you like the rain.

LunawolfGirl
December 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Florida is definitely the shittiest place EVAR.
=/
It's where old people go to die, basically.

dark57
December 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM
NOOOOOOthar are like hawt babes at the beach and we got wade and ummm.......it isnt cold :| i hate the cold :P and the cuban dont forget about them. CUBAN COFFE FTW!

Wakeboy1337
December 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Hey guys i'm at the motel now. Tomorrow morning I'll get my gloves and head over to beech mountian. Pics up sooner or later :)

Btw sorry about typos,I'm on my dads iPod typing this

Apoc4lypse
December 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Hey guys i'm at the motel now. Tomorrow morning I'll get my gloves and head over to beech mountian. Pics up sooner or later :)

Btw sorry about typos,I'm on my dads iPod typing this

haha nice good luck, I'm actually going snowboarding tomorrow with some buddys of mine too,

Rob Oplawar
December 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Oh boy oh boy, forecast calls for 4 inches on Wednesday, 8 inches on Thursday, and partly cloudy thereafter. Snowboarding Friday!

LunawolfGirl
December 28th, 2008, 10:17 PM
NOOOOOOthar are like hawt babes at the beach and we got wade and ummm.......it isnt cold :| i hate the cold :P and the cuban dont forget about them. CUBAN COFFE FTW!

There are "like hawt babes" at just about any beach you go too.
And Cold weather is boss, so suck it. =D
FL is all humid and hot ALL THE TIME.
Fuck that.

FRain
December 28th, 2008, 10:18 PM
This new girl kicks some serious ass.

dark57
December 28th, 2008, 10:22 PM
There are "like hawt babes" at just about any beach you go too.
not the one behind the retierment house D:

And Cold weather is boss, so suck it. =D
i once said that. then i dicovered shorts :D

FL is all humid and hot ALL THE TIME.
Fuck that.
i rather bake in a oven than freze my ass off.

LunawolfGirl
December 28th, 2008, 10:32 PM
not the one behind the retierment house D:

i once said that. then i dicovered shorts :D

i rather bake in a oven than freze my ass off.

lol @ the retirement home beach. XD

Fuck shorts. I believe in jeans.
And not those skinny ones those fail scene kids wear.
lmfao.

LunawolfGirl
December 28th, 2008, 10:33 PM
This new girl kicks some serious ass.
Why thank ya, sah.

dark57
December 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM
skiny jeans hurt me :(

LunawolfGirl
December 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
TOPIC HAS BEEN DERAILED.
Snowboarding tips for Wakeboy, EN AYE OH!!

dark57
December 28th, 2008, 10:41 PM
OSHI! dont hit the trees

Rob Oplawar
December 28th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I hit the trees once. It split my helmet right open.

Protip: wear a helmet.

Bodzilla
December 28th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Florida is definitely the shittiest place EVAR.
=/
It's where old people go to die, basically.
Gods waiting room.

LunawolfGirl
December 29th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Amen.

Wakeboy1337
December 29th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I hit the trees once. It split my helmet right open.

Protip: wear a helmet.

But I dun want to wear a helmet.

Rob Oplawar
December 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Nice knowing you.

Hotrod
December 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Seriously, wear a helmet, whether skiing, snowboarding or biking. It may not be "cool", but trust me, it saves lives, and stops you from getting hurt.

Look at it this way, it's either your helmet that gets split in half, or your skull.

Wakeboy1337
December 29th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm not dead yet guys, but I sure am pretty beat up.

I don't have the cash to put out for lessons, and I'm having trouble edging. Lots of trouble. A little trouble stopping but I'm getting that. One of the problems for me is that the snow is man made and It's more like a giant Icee that you get to drink at walmart. A bunch of small ice pebbles. Going to try another place tomorrow called Sugar mountain to see if things are a little better there. But I did make it down the run once today and get back in line only falling ONCE. :D :D

dark57
December 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I'm not dead yet guys, but I sure am pretty beat up.

I don't have the cash to put out for lessons, and I'm having trouble edging. Lots of trouble. A little trouble stopping but I'm getting that. One of the problems for me is that the snow is man made and It's more like a giant Icee that you get to drink at walmart. A bunch of small ice pebbles. Going to try another place tomorrow called Sugar mountain to see if things are a little better there. But I did make it down the run once today and get back in line only falling ONCE. :D :D

congrats you didnt die. now do it again :|

Wakeboy1337
December 29th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Tomorrow If my body isn't all stiff.

This reminds me of when I tried waterskiing for the first time.

dark57
December 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Tomorrow If my body isn't all stiff.

This reminds me of when I tried waterskiing for the first time.

i tried water skiing onc.... it didnt work :(

Wakeboy1337
December 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I got pretty god at it, but then I got my wakeboard and waterskiing was history :D

Corndogman
December 29th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Man I wish I could go snowboarding, unfortunately I'm also here in good old Florida. I normally don't mind the heat, but good god it needs to get cold soon.

Wakeboy1337
December 29th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty damn cold. It was 34 degrees today :/

Rob Oplawar
December 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
How are you dressed? Layers are good. I find it's good practice to abandon all semblance of fashion when skiing/snowboarding. You're just another speck on the slope; your comfort is far more important than your appearance. You need an underlayer, a fuzzy warm layer, a windproof layer, and a waterproof layer (windproof/waterproof are usually the same layer).

Geo
December 29th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Most good snowboarding jackets and snow pants are built to look good and perform well. I have 2 different sets of them and they work great. I do still wear a thermal shirt and sweater under it tho.

dark57
December 29th, 2008, 09:16 PM
ya and zip up or you'll get a cold :)

Wakeboy1337
December 29th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I was pretty bundled up man

Rob Oplawar
December 29th, 2008, 09:28 PM
The windproof thing is the important part. If you don't have a good windbreaker, the windchill'll getcha.

Geo
December 29th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah no kidding. http://www.bridgerbowl.com/ This is a resort that I will be snowboarding at in about a month. Its famous for its awesome powder, but the wind is frickin cold there.

Wakeboy1337
December 31st, 2008, 08:39 AM
Hey guys. I'm done with snowboarding for now. I rode two days in a row on fake snow and both days it was like sliding down on ice. I didn't ever figure out how to turn heelside unless I was going really fast and the only way I could slow down was if I dug my toeside edge into the "snow" and slide backwards it. I'm hopeing that today we start our journey home. I don't remember the name of the town I'm in but I believe I'm about 100 miles from the NC/SC boreder. Got a few pics and video of me riding, but that'll have to wait till I get home. Oh btw, for some reason on this motel computer I couldnt log in on Ie. It would say I logged in, redirect me like it should, then I'm logged out. Firefox FTW :)

TTyl guys.