PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro ho ho ho!

Syuusuke
December 30th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I'm going to get my Macbook Pro...5 days late, but hey!

So any tips/special on using/feeding it? Besides bootcamp, of course.

BobtheGreatII
December 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM
May I ask why you decided on getting a Macbook Pro?

InnerGoat
December 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Install Crysis on it. TF2 as well.

Atty
December 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
^ lolin

also, I didn't really like mine at first, it was kinda meh, but after owning it for 4 months now I love it, and am considering getting a Mac for my main desktop. With the exception of gaming I can do everything on my mac that I did on my PC, with either 1st party or 3rd party support.

ultama121
December 30th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Uuuugh, Macs.

Well I hope you end up happy with it.

Pope
December 31st, 2008, 04:22 AM
Tbh enjoy your useless 1 useless video cards. Worst part of the Macbook Pro. Only reason I'm not willing to drop cash on that thing.

ExAm
December 31st, 2008, 05:53 AM
Pope, don't all laptops generally have one video card? :|
Macbook pros are great, they're powerful, and you can dual boot OSX and Windows on them. The only downside is that you can't upgrade the internal hardware beyond the hard drive and RAM. Oh yeah, and the price.

Kornman00
December 31st, 2008, 06:17 AM
Been running Vista on my Macbook Pro for over two years now, and I only had one complaint, which was resolved when apple finally came out with the vista compatibility drivers for bootcamp...

Warsaw
January 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Pope, don't all laptops generally have one video card? :|
Macbook pros are great, they're powerful, and you can dual boot OSX and Windows on them. The only downside is that you can't upgrade the internal hardware beyond the hard drive and RAM. Oh yeah, and the price.

New MBPs have two video cards: one GeForce 9400M for mobility and a 9600M GT for "performance." Well, the high-end ones do. Also, ever hear of Clevo? You can upgrade the GPUs in their notebooks as long as it falls in the thermal/power threshold and is MXM III compliant. You can usually get newer cards from whatever vendor you bought the notebook from.

Anywho, gratz on the new MacBook Pro. If I have any tips, it's keep the battery charged. I've heard horror stories of batteries not holding anymore after being completely drained.

Syuusuke
January 4th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Lol I had a funny thing happened to me:

I was going to get the Macbook, but I decided with a Texrat puff, "Feh, its overpriced" and got the ASUS G50vt-X1, decent gaming-top, though I won't do as much gaming.

Then I a got slightly used Macbook Pro from a pal, for free =D

Ho ho ho!

ultama121
January 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Jebus, definitely the superior choice. :o

Syuusuke
January 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM
The only problem is getting used to typing with this notebook's keyboard.

I have to press harder, like the buttons on your -

Yes.

legionaire45
January 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Good, because I was going to post this (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/921/1049921/inquirer-confirms-apple-macbook-pros-have-nvidia-bad-bump-material) for you.

I'd stay away from anything nvidia in a notebook for a little while.

Syuusuke
January 5th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Oops...

This uses a nvidia card...9800M GS

Mr Buckshot
January 6th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Congratulations, fellow azn :P

My friend owns the latest MB pro too, with the Geforce 9400M and 9600MGT dual graphics.

It's not much different from the previous MB pro, but the 9400M makes gaming-on-battery-power a possibility. It runs COD4 at 800x500 (yes, there's a 16:10 rez that low) on medium settings and gets over 30 fps. As it's an integrated chip it won't drain the battery much. When you have a place to plug in, the 9600MGT will give the real gaming experience. My laptop with an 8600M GS will die within half an hour if I play a high-end game on battery power, even when I use a no-CD patch to avoid using the optical drive.

Bootcamp it, of course. But also note that a couple of recent games were ported to Mac - they are COD4, Spore, Command and Conquer 3, and a few others I can't remember. They will probably run more stably on Mac than on Windows Vista, if that's what you're planning to install when you bootcamp. I believe they will work on multiplayer with the PC versions too.

The touch pad on Macbooks is pwnage but I still don't like the simulated right-click (press down two fingers, then click), fortunately if you plug in a Windows mouse while running Macintosh the right mouse button works just the way it does on Windows.

Due to lack of driver support though, I'm sure you'll probably end up switching into Windows when you want to connect USB peripherals, even some models of external hard drives.

Syuusuke
January 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'll use my MB to piss off any PC users I meet.

Phopojijo
January 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I'll use my MB to piss off any PC users I meet.Using a mac doesn't piss off PC users... talking about it pisses off PC users.

Edit:
The touch pad on Macbooks is pwnage but I still don't like the simulated right-click (press down two fingers, then click), fortunately if you plug in a Windows mouse while running Macintosh the right mouse button works just the way it does on Windows.World of Warcraft would be hard any other way... {{or anything else you need to right and left click at the same time}}

Lateksi
January 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Tell your pal hes a good person.

Dwood
January 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Using a mac doesn't piss off PC users... talking about it pisses off PC users.

Not even that, incessant nagging on PC users about how you will never "go back" to windows pisses us off.

*glares at parents*

Syuusuke
January 6th, 2009, 08:32 PM
That gave me an idea...

If I ever go to an all-"PC" LAN party or something...Yep.

Phopojijo
January 6th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Go ahead o.O

Ki11a_FTW
January 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Then I a got slightly used Macbook Pro from a pal, for free =D

Ho ho ho!

Can you introduce my to your pal? :3

Syuusuke
January 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Not if you're 1000s of miles away.

Funny how I haven't touched the Book since after utilizing Bootcamp...

sdavis117
January 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I had someone bring a Mac to an all PC Lan. I gave him an extra copy of windows, and had him install it on his system so that he could play most of our games.

ExAm
January 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I had someone bring a Mac to an all PC Lan. I gave him an extra copy of windows, and had him install it on his system so that he could play most of our games.Err, most?

Phopojijo
January 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Ut2004, Halo, Quake 3, BF2142, Call of Duty /2/4, Doom3, ET:QW, Starcraft...

There's a bunch of games for the Mac... they just come out much later usually.

ExAm
January 10th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Ut2004, Halo, Quake 3, BF2142, Call of Duty /2/4, Doom3, ET:QW, Starcraft...

There's a bunch of games for the Mac... they just come out much later usually.
I was referring to the fact that he said that the friend had installed windows, then stated that it could then play "most" of the games that a PC could play. To my knowledge a Mac with Windows installed and updated drivers can play any game that a PC can.