PDA

View Full Version : User locked up xD

Hunter
January 1st, 2009, 10:55 AM
Okay, heres the deal. You all know about that virus I had which didnt like explorer.exe to be running. Well, I decided to restart my computer and windows will NOT run. I want to get some files from my user area before I wipe.

Tomorow I am getting another hard drive which I can install windows onto, a live cd wont work.

Once I have installed windows I want to use my infected/brocken harddrive as a slave drive and access it. My uncle has already done this and got a few files from other users. But for some reason my user area and a few others say "Access Denied" and it says they are empter, "0KB", and I know for a fact that they are not empty.

My uncle who works with fixing computers said that it is doing that because his laptop does not have ownership. The users which wouldnt let us in where set as "Administrator" and where password protected.

Does anyone know of a program which will give me ownership once I get windows on this other harddrive?

And please don't tell me other ways I can get the files of without getting another harddrive because that is the way I am going to do it now. Sick of fucking about. Lol. Stupid Live CD crap.

Pyong Kawaguchi
January 1st, 2009, 11:10 AM
You need to take ownership of it, Are you using xp or vista?
Xp: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
Vista:http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html
Hope that helps!

Hunter
January 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
I will try that. Thanks. And its XP btw.

Pyong Kawaguchi
January 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Ok, Good luck!

Hunter
January 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
I got the user unlocked, but even though I told it to replace other owners and to take ownership of all files and sub directories it wont let me into my desktop. Or any other folders in: C:/Documents and Settings/Martyn

Why?

Hunter
January 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Never mind, took ownership of the whole Documents and Settings, which took a while Lol. I am in now :)

L0d3x
January 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Out of curiosity, how did you get the virus? (didn't read other topic)

Hunter
January 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I can't remember. I had visited multiple websites that day, none where dodgy, so I dunno. Sorry.