PDA

View Full Version : Protip: Mirror'd drives do not equal a disaster recovery solution.

Bodzilla
January 3rd, 2009, 02:06 AM
Only of interest if you're into computers:
Mirrored drives do not equal a disaster recovery solution (http://journalspace.com/this_is_the_way_the_world_ends/not_with_a_bang_but_a_whimper.html). I feel really bad for those guys, I never used their service but to have a business of six years disappear overnight because of a lack of a disaster recovery plan is horrible. Let that be a lesson to all you people out there who are thinking of getting started in IT work. It is because of stories like this that the RT database goes down for 15 minutes every day while it is backed up and stored at an offsite location.wow.

Journal space is gone.

Xetsuei
January 3rd, 2009, 02:13 AM
Forgive me but, what is Journal space?

InnerGoat
January 3rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
An offline site. :downs:

ps - wait until a hdd in this dedi fails.. heh

Bodzilla
January 3rd, 2009, 02:17 AM
i dont know, i havnt ever used it but i assume it was a big Blog website.

that got Fucked over by their bad disaster planning.
Mirror'd drives are only good to replace one or another in a machine.... but if the office catches fire that the machines are in.........

Phopojijo
January 3rd, 2009, 03:14 AM
Or the harddrive controller goes spastic and writes jibberish to both drives (overwritting the data they contain).

People always think about the hard drives dying because they're mechanical... but the fact remains the controller board could easily fail too... and that causes serious issues as well.

P.S. Who uses a Mac server?

Well that sucks to be him... Archive.Org was blocked out of JournalSpace because of a Robots.txt flag. Here I was hoping they could place up cached copies of old pages.

Alas, they can't.

Xetsuei
January 3rd, 2009, 03:18 AM
P.S. Who uses a Mac server?

Lmao, my thoughts exactly. Linux ftw.

DaneO'Roo
January 3rd, 2009, 04:57 AM
Haha, well done.

If only myspace would fail :(

jcap
January 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Any administrator should know that. It did protect them against a hardware failure, but of course, if data is physically deleted from one drive, the same thing happens to the other. The only way to protect against that is to do frequent backups of the entire server to either magnetic tape, another server, or even another hard drive.

Lmao, my thoughts exactly. Linux ftw.
It's still UNIX... Just Linux with a better GUI.

Phopojijo
January 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Any administrator should know that. It did protect them against a hardware failure, but of course, if data is physically deleted from one drive, the same thing happens to the other. The only way to protect against that is to do frequent backups of the entire server to either magnetic tape, another server, or even another hard drive.

It's still UNIX... Just Linux with a better GUI.BSD... which is still a good server... but there are reasons why VERY few people use Apple servers.