PDA

View Full Version : Odd Audio Device Behavior

Syuusuke
January 4th, 2009, 09:35 AM
The usual case of an audio device not working is when you put your computer (usually a laptop) into sleep mode or hibernation.

Not for me...

When I freshly re-installed Windows and installed the LATEST drivers (Realtek HD Audio), the sound would never work upon loading my computer. However, it starts to work AFTER I wake it up from sleep mode! Next thing I know, I'll be hearing audio from the microphone (that is possible btw).

So in short:
WTF Audio doesn't work until after I wake it up from sleep mode.
Yes: latest drivers.
Yes: it has been like this since its fresh installation
Yes: it's a laptop
Yes: Vista
No: I don't have hard-on.
It's annoying to always put it to sleep after I start this up...

Thanks for any advice guys.

flibitijibibo
January 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Two questions:
1. XP or Vista?
2. What services does the device need? (The stuff in services.msc)

There's a chance stuff gets started in the services after sleep mode happens, when it should be started when the computer is.

Syuusuke
January 4th, 2009, 10:32 AM
1. Oops, Vista
2. Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and Windows Audio (which is dependent on the former).

flibitijibibo
January 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Check to make sure they're both set to automatic (may be set as manual/delayed start).

Syuusuke
January 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM
They are, I already made sure.

That wouldn't explain why it starts after Sleep mode though.

flibitijibibo
January 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Well, to anyone else that reads this thread, think of a reason sleep mode would start something, but not startup. I'm not entirely sure.

One thing that fixed a realtek device of mine was by going to the device manager, then uninstalling it. Vista found the device again, then reinstalled drivers and it worked. I suppose if nobody else has an idea, that could be given a try.

Syuusuke
January 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Fixed.

It wasn't something obvious at first, but in the BIOS setting, I originally had the POST sound to off, so I wouldn't hear the annoying startup sound when going through POST.
Good thing there's another work around: Either set the volume down to 0 (I don't think i'll hear beeps either then...maybe I still will) or Disable Quick POST, which I did. Two seconds extra wouldn't hurt, I prefer to have a quite start up.

Thanks for the help anyway shdwsnipah.