PDA

View Full Version : Blue flicker on an LCD

p0lar_bear
January 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Last winter, I lived in the house that Jackoff built with shit windows and no insulation in the living room, so it was always colder in the house than it was outside. I left my laptop in the living room all the time since my mother used it while sitting on the couch.

Ever since that winter, my laptop's LCD screen has been flickering a blue tint when it's "cold." It goes away if I leave it on for a while, but sometimes it flickers in and out after the fact.

I've popped off the keyboard and reseated the video cable, and smacking it (monitor or computer) around doesn't help, so I don't think it's a loose connection anywhere. The tint is there on a cold boot, and doesn't show on screenshots or if I plug it into the Composite In or S-Video on a TV, so it's not like something's fucked software-wise.

The thing works fine otherwise; this is just a minor annoyance. Is the screen fucked, or is there something I might have missed that might remedy it?

SnaFuBAR
January 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
What make and model is it? How old? Screen type?

p0lar_bear
January 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
What make and model is it? How old? Screen type?

Christ, I should know better. :saddowns:

Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=135844&rpn=PS600U&modelFilter=6000&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768667&selModel=135844%7CPS600U)

14.1” or 15.0” TFT active-matrix display; internal display supports up to 16M colors at 1024 x 768

Sel
January 5th, 2009, 03:03 PM
If it's only doing it on the laptop screen, and not the TV, or S-Video stuff, then chances are it's the monitor itself. I don't know a whole lot about fixing that shit, or if you can. If it's only something minor then it might be best off to just live with it, since replacing it is usually quite costly.

Otherwise use another monitor instead of the one on your laptop.

InnerGoat
January 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I don't think you can do anything about that... maybe max the brightness so it runs warmer? :-3

TeeKup
January 5th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Ice crystals could have formed somewhere they shouldn't have causing damage.

itszutak
January 6th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Christ, I should know better. :saddowns:

Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=135844&rpn=PS600U&modelFilter=6000&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768667&selModel=135844%7CPS600U)
When did you get it? I know my LCD did stuff like that right before it died.

Or, more likely, it has a bad connection somewhere. I've seen it happen with projectors attached to laptops- the only fix I could find was to fiddle with the VGA plug until the colors were right. I don't know how you would fiddle with the wire inside the laptop.

Have you tried shaking it? :v:

Rob Oplawar
January 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Is it a uniform blue tint on the screen, or is it more like blue static flickering on the screen?
If it's the latter, it's a problem with the videocard, driver, or the chip in the monitor- it's something like a wrong refresh rate or an out of range signal, which happens to my monitor occasionally when I cold boot. Power cycling the monitor fixes that.

I have a feeling that's not your problem, though.

Snowy
January 8th, 2009, 05:56 PM
warm it up a little bit with a hair dryer.

p0lar_bear
January 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Here's a picture; tried to up it yesterday but the upload system was shot.

(VGA camera phone is all I have, sorry)

See the light blue bars going across the screen vertically?

They're not always there. Sometimes the screen is just fine. Sometimes the whole screen gets a light blue tint. Other times the bars flicker in a way that they grow and shrink in size. The shape and size of the bars changes depending what's on the screen. Usually there's a bar that hangs off of the mouse pointer and it repeats itself across the screen in the same intervals as the bars you see in the above picture.

Rob Oplawar
January 9th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah, that definitely sounds like the problem I get; it's pretty similar. Looks like your vidcard is putting out a slightly different signal that your monitor is expecting. Does power-cycling your monitor do anything?

p0lar_bear
January 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Uh, you can't power cycle a laptop monitor unless you power cycle or standby the whole machine. :|

Rob Oplawar
January 9th, 2009, 10:38 PM
zomg how did it take me this long to notice that you've been saying "laptop" all this time?? >.< Now I feel like an idiot.

Well, does the static show up while booting, or does it wait until your OS takes over? And if so, does power-cycling the whole machine affect it? (power cycling the whole thing might take too long to be conclusive, tho...) Hmmmm, interesting...