PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Throwing Away Vista?

DarkHalo003
January 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
According to CNN, Microsoft revealed that they are releasing betas for the new Windows 7. Windows 7 is supposed to run faster and perform at a better
experience. Some leaked reviews have also gone around: relatively positive. Microsoft also said that this will be their best OS ever. So what do y'all think? Vista dead for sure?

Linky to article:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/01/08/microsoft.ballmer/index.html

Joshflighter
January 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Unless Halo 3 gets released with that. It doesnt have my buy. Also, leaked reviews? Sounds like they leaked some around. Lol, with there bad rep, I think they really need some help to get alot of profits.

343guiltymc
January 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Windows 7 performs better than vista and XP on both high end and low end systems.

Joshflighter
January 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Oh, you already tested this? :o

I thought they said Vista was the best thing coming... *last time*

Needles
January 8th, 2009, 08:58 PM
So a year after I get my vista a new OS is already in public beta stages? :mad: Couldn't they give vista users a discount, especially ones who had no idea about this?

I don't know if I should use the beta over vista with SP1, but I guess I could try.

Xetsuei
January 8th, 2009, 09:02 PM
"Acquiring" the beta. Hope for Microsoft's sake it's waaay better.

Phopojijo
January 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM
So a year after I get my vista a new OS is already in public beta stages? :mad: Couldn't they give vista users a discount, especially ones who had no idea about this?

I don't know if I should use the beta over vista with SP1, but I guess I could try.They're following Apple's OS release schedule (seriously, that's not a jab... Ballmer said it... without mentioning names of course... but it's pretty obvious who his commercial competitor is... believe it was at MiX08)

Needles
January 8th, 2009, 09:11 PM
They're following Apple's OS release schedule (seriously, that's not a jab... Ballmer said it... without mentioning names of course... but it's pretty obvious who his commercial competitor is...)
A new OS every 2-3 years? Who has the money to constantly update their OS so the newest games and programs will always be compatible?

flibitijibibo
January 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM
/me laughs at everyone who didn't get a free express upgrade to Vista

When I think about it, I realize that I probably wouldn't have bought Vista or a DX10 card without the express upgrade. I'm still trying to sell my old 7950GX2.

EDIT- I know what you mean, Sel. Vista has been more stable than XP was on my better machines, so it's been a plus since I've had my hands on it. Oh well.

Sel
January 8th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Windows vista is fine, I don't really see why everyone hates it :|

TheGhost
January 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I, for one, am looking forward to Windows 7. The beta is publicly available tomorrow, so I'll try to download it, just gotta find some way to run it on my laptop. I've been using Vista for two years now, and I'm ready for something new. That, and it's supposed to be really good, so let's hope Microsoft can redeem themselves.

A new OS every 2-3 years? Who has the money to constantly update their OS so the newest games and programs will always be compatible?

Apple releases a new OS every year or two. Snow Leopard is scheduled to be released just one year after Leopard. I think that's fine, especially since I can get their full OS for just $60 (student) - Vista Ultimate was like $300. Honestly, if you build your OS the right way, you shouldn't really be breaking old programs, just improving old features and adding new ones.

Apple's new OS will mostly be improving performance in this world where everyone and their mother has a dual core processor. They will also inevitable add new features and shiny things. But everything that worked on Leopard should still work for Snow Leopard.

Limited
January 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Good riddance Vista, glad this is in beta stages, means I dont have to touch Vista.

If you build your OS the right way you shouldnt have to release a new OS that adds nothing to the value. Mac is different, they actually do. Whereas MS forget not everyone is millionaires.

MetKiller Joe
January 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Let's hope its as good as they say it is.

I like the performance perks, but I'm still skeptical whether 7 will actually deliver on everything.

klange
January 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Finally, maybe Microsoft will put out an OS that doesn't increase my chance of having a virus written for my OS, and maybe when I look at people who use Windows in a non-niche setting I'll at least have some understanding.

InnerGoat
January 8th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Windows 7 has been good so far on the old box I threw it on. Little old AXP system runs it well until it comes to games. There's no good drivers for a 9800pro :lol:

Snowy
January 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I will be downloading the beta tomorrow for sure. I can't wait. Windows 7 looks pretty snazzy.

InnerGoat
January 8th, 2009, 10:00 PM
If you run into problems there is an update for your ATI cards now, http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?81247

Wakeboy1337
January 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Windows 7 has been good so far on the old box I threw it on. Little old AXP system runs it well until it comes to games. There's no good drivers for a 9800pro :lol:

Athlon XP? Which one? I was thinking of putting it on my 2200+

InnerGoat
January 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
2500+, 1.25gb ram, 9800pro.

Cortexian
January 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I've had Windows 7 Build 7000 for quite awhile now, and I've been playing with builds previous to that for about three months. I have to say that it definitely runs better than Vista does on this machine, I haven't run any benchmarks but XP/Windows 7 performance seems similar. I'm Tri-Booting my system with those three OS's as of now.

kenney001
January 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Ive been running the one that was released on bittorrent a while ago on my laptop...and I must say it is pretty quick.

Didn't play COD4 though...

Bodzilla
January 8th, 2009, 10:22 PM
i never liked vista, and i still dont.
but i think it was a necessary evolution to get to windows 7.

i think it'll be good, and i'm actually interested in it. alot of things they started on for Vista should be up and running smoothly now.

kenney001
January 8th, 2009, 10:32 PM
the libraries are kick-ass

Inferno
January 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
If h2V will run on windows 7 I will upgrade right now because I am sick of slow ass vista.

InnerGoat
January 8th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Create a small partition for W7 and give it a try...

Amit
January 9th, 2009, 12:22 AM

I don't know if I should use the beta over vista with SP1, but I guess I could try.

Microsoft stated that they'd be pumping out the next one within 3 years of Vista's release. I believe that was before Vista was released.

I did that and installed it. It works fine up to the part where I have to restart my computer and then when it tries to start up after loading I get a whole screen of artifacts and it just crashes my computer back to reboot or stays there with a messed up screen. I'm currently Dual-booting two Windows XP installations. My main one was fucked with artifacts since I reinstalled it on this main 320GB hardrive. So for the few times i did manage to get back in to installation, I created a new partition and installed another XP on there and that's what I use now. I've tried installing Windows 7 three times and the same thing happens every time.

TPE
January 9th, 2009, 12:37 AM
<Currently posting on windows 7.

It punts vista in the teeth honestly, but I don't see it selling well because people will think that it is a "reskined vista with a FAILBAR."

Meh, you can't please them all. =\

Donut
January 9th, 2009, 12:43 AM
/me laughs at everyone who didn't get a free express upgrade to Vista

When I think about it, I realize that I probably wouldn't have bought Vista or a DX10 card without the express upgrade. I'm still trying to sell my old 7950GX2.

EDIT- I know what you mean, Sel. Vista has been more stable than XP was on my better machines, so it's been a plus since I've had my hands on it. Oh well.
iv never had a problem with vista either. hell, i got a wireless blue tooth dongle to work with a FTC robot in like 10 minutes. the guys from a college near me said they couldnt make it work. idk. windows 95 games work on here too.... i mean like, the ones that arnt DOS.

Masterz1337
January 9th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I'll probably have it replace Vista on my laptop.

SnaFuBAR
January 9th, 2009, 01:38 AM
i wonder how this would perform on my netbook...

sdavis117
January 9th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I just reinstalled my copy of XP (nasty virus was giving me problems), so nothing is actually on my PC yet (except XP), so I'm gonna test this new Windows 7 on my PC.

Sel
January 9th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Anyone have the link to the beta of W7?

FRain
January 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
My mom bought a computer recently and it has Vista on it.

She has had to reformat a shitton of times and has had several glitches with internet connections, programs, (not viruses).

I use XP.

I only needed to reformat twice this summer (once for a nice clean and another due to viruses) and my computer runs at least 50x faster, cleaner, less glitches than hers.

I'm hoping Windows 7 does a good job like XP but doesn't hurt the graphical interfaces which I liked in Vista.

E: Shameless plug:

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13759

My comp is being a bitch again.

CN3089
January 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM
My mom bought a computer recently and it has Vista on it.

She has had to reformat a shitton of times and has had several glitches with internet connections, programs, (not viruses).

I use XP.

I only needed to reformat twice this summer (once for a nice clean and another due to viruses) and my computer runs at least 50x faster, cleaner, less glitches than hers.

I'm hoping Windows 7 does a good job like XP but doesn't hurt the graphical interfaces which I liked in Vista.

and I've been using Vista for a year and haven't had a single problem yet, isn't anecdotal evidence fun? ~http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/Emoticons/awesome.png>

E: Shameless plug:

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13759

My comp is being a bitch again.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/Emoticons/emot-ironicat.gif

Con
January 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM
and I've been using Vista for a year and haven't had a single problem yet, isn't anecdotal evidence fun? ~http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/CN3089/Emoticons/awesome.png>

ditto that

I've only had a problem with bluetooth, which was solved with a 6 minute fix.

klange
January 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

Wakeboy1337
January 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM
wat

Hunter
January 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Awesome, I can install this on my other harddrive.

TPE
January 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx#

Official beta release. Servers are down right now though.

InnerGoat
January 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM
It pays to get it a week early. Heh.

Limited
January 9th, 2009, 12:58 PM
How big does installation take?

Can you free up that space after you're done with it, as in I have a 500gb drive, using about 340gb, could I use the rest for Windows 7, then when I get bored delete partition and still be able to use it as my backup/files drive like I do now?

Edit:
CN, what the fuck is your problem, did you even read and attempt to try to understand my post? If you did you'd see I had a viable point, so ignorant.

InnerGoat
January 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
You can add and remove partitions whenever.

Pooky
January 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM

The only thing I'm hating right now is the speed all this is happening at. DX10 was here and gone before anyone had time to breathe, and now Vista is being replaced? Jesus fuck Microsoft.

Huero
January 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM
hmm
it seems that my only option is to partition my hard drive and dual boot
how hard is this :E
E: i dont know how to do most of these things.
damn.

InnerGoat
January 9th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Make second partition, install OS, go.

note - don't overwrite your current OS....

il Duce Primo
January 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
The only thing I'm hating right now is the speed all this is happening at. DX10 was here and gone before anyone had time to breathe, and now Vista is being replaced? Jesus fuck Microsoft.
So they are making new products... what assholes.

Sel
January 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Oh no more betas :(

Advancebo
January 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Sounds like Microsoft has gone crazy.

Phopojijo
January 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X#Versions
Look at the dates and added features.

Microsoft was pressured to follow Apple's release schedule.

Needles
January 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM
How much will it cost?

Advancebo
January 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM
How much will it cost?

hundreds :O

343guiltymc
January 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Same price as Vista I think.

Hotrod
January 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Ok, so can somebody give my a detailed explanation to how to install the beta, with a new hard drive partition? I'm not quite sure how to do it, so any help would be nice, thanks.

Needles
January 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Same price as Vista I think.
D=

I was hoping for $100-$150. If vista doesn't come pre-installed on a pc, it's $200+. I'm guessing when they said they listened to what people wanted, they didn't listen to the pricing part...

Masterz1337
January 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM
The people upgrading from vista should get it cheaper, expecially early adopters who put faith in MS's words.

Phopojijo
January 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
The people upgrading from vista should get it cheaper, expecially early adopters who put faith in MS's words.Upgrade copies are always cheaper.

But yeah... like I said, they got as much life out of it as any Apple user would.

Needles
January 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Upgrade copies are always cheaper.

But yeah... like I said, they got as much life out of it as any Apple user would.
The upgrade copies or windows vista were only made for windows vista home basic, so would they extend it to vista, or would they keep it on their "basic" version of windows 7?

Phopojijo
January 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM
There were upgrade copies for Home Premium and Ultimate... we sold them.

Xetsuei
January 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

Haha, that's gold.

Terry
January 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I'm hearing from some people that it runs better than XP. For those of you that already have it, is this true? Because I might actually consider upgrading to this. The only reason I didn't bother with Vista was the disk usage and my dated hardware.

343guiltymc
January 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm hearing from some people that it runs better than XP. For those of you that already have it, is this true? Because I might actually consider upgrading to this. The only reason I didn't bother with Vista was the disk usage and my dated hardware.
I've saw some benchmarks where they tested various aspects of XP, Vista and Windows 7 like how fast it can boot up. Windows 7 beat both XP and Vista in almost all catergories.

Sel
January 9th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Even if you don't get a key for windows 7, you can still run it without activating for 120 days.

Just throwin that out there.

Phopojijo
January 9th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I'm hearing from some people that it runs better than XP. For those of you that already have it, is this true? Because I might actually consider upgrading to this. The only reason I didn't bother with Vista was the disk usage and my dated hardware.It's made for Netbooks, so -- yes. (Obviously depending)

It's basically Vista... just been tweaked to heck.

Hotrod
January 9th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Wait, what happens when you want to uninstall Windows 7, do you have to reinstall Vista again? And if yes, do you have to format your hard drive?

Masterz1337
January 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Upgrade copies are always cheaper.

I know they're cheaper, but ti would be nice if they did something with windows 7 to make up for the people who spent money on Vista Ultuimate and such.

Joshflighter
January 9th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Wait, what happens when you want to uninstall Windows 7, do you have to reinstall Vista again? And if yes, do you have to format your hard drive?

This is sort of my question.. but I guess I would because I would have to install all my drivers again.

Phopojijo
January 9th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Uhm.

Windows 7 doesn't "attach" to Vista... it either completely overwrites it... or is installed in a completely different "harddrive" (or partition of the same harddrive... which to a computer is basically a different harddrive).

So if you have Windows 7 and Windows Vista (or XP, or Linux, etc) side-by-side... then erasing Windows 7 will leave Windows Vista behind.

If you erased Vista to install Windows 7, than erasing Windows 7 will leave nothing... so you'd need to install Vista again.

Your choice when you install it.

Mind you, how easy is it to dualboot Windows 7? {And will you need to manually edit the bootloader when you uninstall Windows 7} No clue... haven't done it yet.

Masterz1337
January 9th, 2009, 08:33 PM
To bad you can't upgrade from Vista to 7 Beta. Would make life alot easier for most people.

Xetsuei
January 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Guys, VMware is your friend.

ShadowSpartan
January 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM
To bad you can't upgrade from Vista to 7 Beta. Would make life alot easier for most people.
Yes you can.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-installation-instructions.aspx

Xetsuei
January 9th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Guys, VMware is your friend.

Quoted to next page, people need to see this.

TheGhost
January 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Oh my fucking god, don't get me started about Microsoft's upgrade OS bullshit.

Long story short, last time I wanted to use my upgrade copy of Vista, I ended up with a blank partition installing Windows 98, then Windows XP, then Windows Vista on top of that. For fuck's sake, why can't a serial number be enough? If I want to reformat my hard drive, I don't want to go through this crap.

Also, what's up with Basic, Business, Ultimate, etc. etc. etc. I understand that people fall under different categories and have different needs but I don't want to have to pay $300 for Ultiamte because I want to have all of the features in the OS.

If they are taking after Apple's release schedule, they should also take after Apple's pricing scheme. $100, and no upgrade bullshit, no "Ultimate" bullshit.

Terin
January 9th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Y'know, if you don't enter an activation number while installing an upgrade copy of Vista, it will install a clean, unactivated version of any version of Vista you want. Then you can legitimately "upgrade" from that.

Amit
January 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Quoted to next page, people need to see this.

Thanks, I completely forgot about VM Ware.

Y'know, if you don't enter an activation number while installing an upgrade copy of Vista, it will install a clean, unactivated version of any version of Vista you want. Then you can legitimately "upgrade" from that.

He knows that.

Sel
January 10th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Posting from Windows 7. Still waiting for beta keys though.

Sel
January 10th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Seems remarkably like vista. I haven't installed it on my laptop which runs vista, so I have no way of judging performance yet.

However it seems to hang a lot when you open large folders, and load pictures.

E: Wait what?

Win7

http://www.hivclan.net/hivshack/images/ncy0v7jmvw5vy39z0jo.png

Vista

http://www.hivclan.net/hivshack/images/401ljegh4pgzo1d4cu6f.png

Windows 7 uses more loal :downs:

Limited
January 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Got any pics of the UI?

Sel
January 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Got any pics of the UI?

Uhh well theres this new task bar...

Other than that...it looks almost entirely like vista.

Otherwise, I noticed that my framerates in TF2, and L4D improved greatly, and my Crysis/Crysis Warhead framerates dropped. No idea what to make of it, but hey I play TF2 and L4D a lot more than Crysis/Crysis Wars/Warhead so what the hell right. Besides whenever I feel like it I can switch it over to XP and play the Crysis games.

Also installing 32Bit on my laptop, then I can give you all a better idea of the performance differences between W7 and Vista.

flibitijibibo
January 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM
In screencap form, it pretty much looks just like Vista. It's best seen in youtube form.

sdavis117
January 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Can you run H2Vista from the Windows 7 beta? I mean that would make since, being able to run a Vista game on Windows 7, but considering H2Vista was made to force you to buy Vista, I'm not sure if it will work.

I just wanna know before I go out and buy that $15 copy at my local Walmart.

Cortexian
January 12th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Can you run H2Vista from the Windows 7 beta? I mean that would make since, being able to run a Vista game on Windows 7, but considering H2Vista was made to force you to buy Vista, I'm not sure if it will work.

I just wanna know before I go out and buy that $15 copy at my local Walmart.
Probably... There's an option in compatibility settings for Vista so...