PDA

View Full Version : Can You Burn A File To A DVD Without A DVD Burner?

RC4life
January 11th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I was going to installing windows 7 beta 1 official release but I dont have a DVD burner and the ISO file is almost 3GB and CD-R's can only hold up to 700MB

Is it possible to burn the file to a DVD without a DVD burner?
Also if you cant, Is there a way to boot off the ISO without it being on a CD/DVD?

P.S. I have DVD's

klange
January 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Copy contents to a bootable USB stick, that may work.

RC4life
January 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I don't have a USB drive ether :\

Phopojijo
January 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah it's impossible to burn a DVD without a DVD Burner (It may be a combination bluray player, DVD Burn... bluray burner dvd burner... or something... but it has to have the ability to burn DVDs.)

That's kinda the point of a DVD Burner. If it was possible to do without... there wouldn't need to be any.

As for the other way?

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

Though DVD Burners are like -- 30$... and USB sticks are like... 15$ for 4GB. (or less in some cases)

RC4life
January 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM
i cant find DVD burners at radioshack.com r staples.com so can you give me a link to one?

p0lar_bear
January 11th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Try mounting the ISO with Daemon Tools, then starting the install from inside your current OS. Once it unpacks the files, you shouldn't need the disc for the rest of the install.

It's how I installed and reinstalled Vista like 80 fucking times. :v:

RC4life
January 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM
but doesn't the installer restart your computer several times? how will it boot off of that?

p0lar_bear
January 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
It unpacks the data for the installation to the partition you chose to install to...

RC4life
January 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM
ok...? Uhh im confused o.0

look, Im going to dual boot vista ultimate and windows 7 beta 1 k?
I saw a video of how to dual boot windows 7 and vista ultimate & in that video it shows the installation and it says that it will restart several times.

Does it really restart several times? or can i just runt he setup.exe and install it into my partition? (by hitting custom install)

p0lar_bear
January 11th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Yes.

When you start the install from within the OS, it unpacks all of the install files to whatever partition you chose to install it to.

That is why you don't need the CD to finish installation wjen it restarts a few times.

RC4life
January 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Ohhhh

I get it now.
Thanks, So what your saying is when it installs it unpacks everything to that hard drive then boots off of that hard drive?

p0lar_bear
January 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Yes.

kenney001
January 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Then go buy a dvd burner because its fucking 2009 not 2001.

Phopojijo
January 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm actually wondering if he already has a DVD burner, just doesn't realize it.

RC4life
January 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I have an old-ass CD burner :\

kid908
January 12th, 2009, 03:52 PM
=\ u seriously need a dvd burner than. go buy one naow! and can't u just unzip the entire iso with winrar and run it(correct me if im wrong)

Phopojijo
January 12th, 2009, 04:24 PM
=\ u seriously need a dvd burner than. go buy one naow! and can't u just unzip the entire iso with winrar and run it(correct me if im wrong)It runs at boot... which means it needs to be on a bootable device. Using WinRar/WinImage/whatever wouldn't make the harddrive bootable.

You can simply mount the ISO in Grub... but... then you'd be replacing your Bootloader o.O
Not exactly easy... and fixing it if it gets an error is even harder. Not impossible, but hard.

klange
January 12th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hence why he said "can't"...