PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm looking for a tablet

Invader Veex
January 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM
So, I'm looking for a tablet, and I'm not sure what to get. I want something to contribute to what I work on in Photoshop. I would love to be able to use my drawing skills to full potential, so I don't really want a piece of crap, or anything that won't last a while.

From what I know, I should probably get a Wacom. But, I am also trying to keep things at a low cost. Any suggestions on what I should be getting?

NuggetWarmer
January 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Wacom Intuo3 tablet. It's what I've got, and it works great.

Anton
January 12th, 2009, 08:57 PM
The Intuos 3 series from Wacom are great, and if you would like a huge 9x12 tell me and I can sell it to you. but I doubt you have $350 lying around.

You could try the graphire or bamboo from Wacom they are nice but nothing like the Intuos.

Vistablet are newer on the market and are reliable (so I hear, so don't take my word on it) but they use a battery powered pen instead of the batteryless pen that the wacoms use.

DaneO'Roo
January 12th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Bamboo fails

Graphire is OK.

Intuos 3 6x8 is the best bang for your buck.

k4is3rxkh40s
January 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I'd suggest a Genius (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001428%2040000296&Manufactory=1428&SubCategory=296&SpeTabStoreType=0) tablet. I've had mine (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101103) for about 2 years now and it still works great, no dead spots no nothing, along with the battery that came with it is still working(using it pretty often, mind you). Great plus is they don't leave nearly as much a dent in your pocket as the wacom tablets do.

DaneO'Roo
January 12th, 2009, 11:27 PM
^ No.

The word battery was in that sentence. Wacoms are totally usb powered and the pen has no battery what so ever in it.

Also, you obviously haven't used a wacom. Fairly certain that any wacom drivers are universally accepted by a majority of programs, and they have shitloads more pressure options in programs like photoshop, like pen tilt for instance.

Those ones certainly would be more decent than the bamboo at least, and cheaper. It's up to you. But really, if your going to get one, get an intuos, can't go wrong.

Also, if your with an educational insitution, enquire about student discount websites and things like that, I got my tablet through one of them half price, all I had to give em was my state student number.

CodeBrain
January 12th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Isnt the Intuos the one you got Dane?

NuggetWarmer
January 13th, 2009, 12:00 AM
The reason most Wacom's are so expensive is because they get the job done, and they get it done RIGHT.

The bamboo is good for people doing little touch ups and things, but it's not really something you want to have permanently. I mean, the design just screams, "I WON'T WORK FOR WHAT YOU WANT!"

Invader Veex
January 22nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys. Just picked up my Intuos3 from the post office. :party: