PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem... help.

deathret
January 14th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Cliff notes:
Computer freezes up.
Can't access bios.
Help.

One week ago, I ran everest to look up a part on my computer. Half way through making the hardware report it crashed. I rebooted and ran everest again, same thing. I missed both times what it was testing before it crashes... (it is an immediate crash.) But it was at the same place both times. Every thing else was fine. I looked at the temps, they are all fine. Device manager looked fine. I was going to look at the error history in admin tools, but forgot.

Then yesterday I was playing Halo CE and It frooze up. Thinking this was weird, I rebooted. I started up Halo CE again, and it freezes up on loading screen. The hard drive light is not flashing (ei. running). I reboot again. And no it freezes up on the Abit logo screen. I can't access bios, just frozen. I shut it down and wait. Half hour later I boot it up again. I boots up fine. I run checkdisk. It runs through steps 1 and 2 fine. On 3 it fixes a lot of security files. On step four it fixes a random image file for my DVD movie player. At 90% it freezes again. I reboot, skip checkdisk and run spyware and virus check (it takes it much longer then normal to run virus scanner with intermittant pauses.) It finds nothing. I reboot and run checkdisk again to see if it can find anything else. It passes steps 1-3 fine. Freezes on 93% on step 4 again. I reboot it again. It is frozen at the ABIT logo again. I shut it down for the night. I booted it up again this morning, still frozen on ABIT logo.

So, any ideas? I guess it is my hard drive. But I don't know... can't you access the bios without the hard drive? About 6 months ago I replaced my PSU... it went bad. I downloaded the diagosic tool for WD to test the hard drive... but recently I can't get pass the ABIT logo. The fans all come on, the lights look good on the MB. I'll open up the case when I get home to test the connections in the case and remove non essential components. But in the mean time, do you guys have any suggestions?

My computer specs are in my profile, I bought it about 3.5 years ago... And I don't have the cash to buy another one at the moment... so fixing it would be ideal.

InnerGoat
January 14th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hi deaththreat :awesome:

A failing hard drive shouldn't prevent you from accessing the bios, but if that video card was failing it would. Get back to us when you open it up later.

deathret
January 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Hi deaththreat :awesome:

A failing hard drive shouldn't prevent you from accessing the bios, but if that video card was failing it would. Get back to us when you open it up later.

That is what I thought. But the video card? Hmmm... it hasn't given me any indication of problems. Definitely hasn't been over worked... it is always a little warm 45 -48, but it has been like that for 3 years. I don't have onboard video, and don't know anyone that could test it for me... Well... maybe. Anyway, how could the video card failing cause those problems. The display has always been fine...

InnerGoat
January 14th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Some cards just die like that. I lost my 6800GT a while back and it went out similar to what you've described. Nothing says it has to be the video card though, so you can go on and do the usual reset bios, try one memory stick at a time, etc.

Syuusuke
January 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Something could be wrong with your mobo too.

Happened to me. Nothing would show up on the screen, and I knew it wasn't the videocard or the monitor.

deathret
January 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM
What about the checkdisk errors? Could those come from a failing video card? I would doubt it... Maybe the motherboard... I'm trying to narrow my problem areas from what I know... It is werid that I don't get a HD light flashing or the typical grinding noise from it when it is freezing up... I guess if it freezes up, it isn't processing anything anymore... thus no HD processing.

deathret
January 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Okay more information. I finally was able to get it to reach the bios. I put its settings on fail-safe. It required the windows disk a few times to boot. But never needed to repair or reformat....yet. So, I after a few times messing around with it I was able to get it to load windows. I looked at the event under admin tools. A few errors relating to windows crashing or other related information, but not really helpful. I looked at my virus scanner, I thought I would do a manual update (it is suppose to update on its own). It download a ton of stuff. I run the virus scanner over night (2 nights ago.) It finds a dozen trogans on my back up HD from years ago downloading "items".... Anyway, it cleans them up. I run my spyware scanner it finds 1 thing. Not convinced the problems are over, I run the WD HD diagonsic tool. It finds nothing on all of my HD's. So, I go back to everest since that is what crashed it in the first place. I test each catagory starting at the bottom and working my way up. I get to the HD category, it runs though the catagories under HD until the last one called SMART. It pauses then crashes the comp. The WD HD diagonsic tool tests the SMART catagory on it and passes, then on everest it crashes. (WD wanted your to tests the HD with their tool to determine RMA potential...) Last night I ran check disk again... When I got up the computer was booted up in windows, I guess it didn't lock up, but I wasn't able to watch it and see if it found anyother errors...

What do you guys think? Is my HD failing or is my comp recovering from the trogans? I can only think to keep playing around with it.