PDA

View Full Version : Circuity City Goes Under

Gamerkd16
January 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM
In relation to this thread. (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12875)

What's going on at Circuit City?

Due to challenges to our business and the continued bleak economic environment, Circuit City is going out of business and the company's assets will be liquidated to pay off creditors.
The process was extremely difficult and we were left with no other choice but to liquidate. Circuit City had a proud heritage of serving the public for 60 years and we deeply regret the impact this decision will have on our associates, our customers and the communities where we have operated stores and other facilities.
We had hoped to be able to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as a stronger, more competitive company and we made significant progress during the reorganization to improve our business. Unfortunately, the economic climate is so poor that we have no choice other than liquidation.
Liquidators will start arriving in our 567 stores across the U.S. over the weekend, and closing sales will start as early as Saturday, January 17. Closing sales will run as long as it takes to sell existing inventory, but are expected to wrap up by the end of March. When the liquidation sales are completed, the stores will be closed.

Store wasn't doing that good but we still had our stores open here after the bankruptcy. I applied there a week ago and they said they were hiring then I called back last monday and they said they weren't anymore. I guess that's why. lol Too bad. I'm going to kinda miss this store. Prices are becoming really cheap now. If you need something computer/electronic related I'd get it soon before it's gone.

Rook
January 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM
In relation to this thread. (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12875)

Store wasn't doing that good but we still had our stores open here after the bankruptcy. I applied there a week ago and they said they were hiring then I called back last monday and they said they weren't anymore. I guess that's why. lol Too bad. I'm going to kinda miss this store. Prices are becoming really cheap now. If you need something computer/electronic related I'd get it soon before it's gone.
Heh sucks for them I suppose. All my town has as a major chain is Walmart and I don't see them going out of business anytime soon. :eyesroll:

flibitijibibo
January 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Fuck, the one time I have no money.

I could go for some new games/audio shit.

LinkandKvel
January 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
But the video game console prices aren't affected are they?

MetKiller Joe
January 17th, 2009, 01:38 PM
The one time I have no money.

PlasbianX
January 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM
*looks at his $10000 in the bank*

Shopping spree here I come :>

Mr Buckshot
January 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Fuck, the one time I have no money.

I could go for some new games/audio shit.

Pre-owned stuff at EB/Gamestop ftw, it's actually safer than you may think.

RIP Circuit City, I didn't get to see you again after leaving California but I'll always remember that half-price flash drive I got from you (and still use).

At first my dad considered driving down to the states to take advantage of the Circuit City prices but when time and petrol are factored in (not to mention $6 border crossing fee), the savings aren't really savings anymore.

Syuusuke
January 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hey, I can probably buy L4D cheaper now!

ultama121
January 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Yey liquidation sale. Wait... I don't have money. :gonk:

DarkHalo003
January 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM
CC was awesome. I always went there for computer junk and games. I also have my 360 warranty and computer warranty from them. This will honestly be a sucky turn out. :(

Gamerkd16
January 17th, 2009, 06:54 PM
CC was awesome. I always went there for computer junk and games. I also have my 360 warranty and computer warranty from them. This will honestly be a sucky turn out. :(
Your warranties will be fine. My friend was worried about the same thing.

Are Circuit City's extended warranties affected by the liquidation?

No. Circuit City Advantage Protection PlansĀ® (extended warranties) have been backed by third-party independent companies for more than 15 years and as a result, are not impacted by Circuit City's closing.
Currently, all Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans are fully backed by the Assurant Solutions companies. Assurant Solutions operates as Federal Warranty Service Corporation, Sureway, Inc., and United Service Protection, Inc. Assurant Solutions is part of Assurant, Inc. (NYSE: AIZ), and its extended service contacts are backed by an Assurant insurance subsidiary rated A "Excellent" by A.M. Best Co.

armoman92
January 17th, 2009, 07:06 PM
jobs :(

Rob Oplawar
January 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
my friend was a manager at circuit city, and now he's unemployed. :X

Phopojijo
January 17th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Don't worry, your money was wasted on extended warranties the second you bought them anyway :p

Gamerkd16
January 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
my friend was a manager at circuit city, and now he's unemployed. :X
As if competition wasn't enough in the job market, now we gotta add 34,000 more people to that pool fighting for new jobs. I'm screwed.

DarkHalo003
January 17th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Don't worry, your money was wasted on extended warranties the second you bought them anyway :p
Haha, true, never was a fan of warranties to begin with. I'm more overly concerned about my Xbox warranty, mainly due to me not wanting to pay for a replacement if mine decides to explode one day. I swear it's reaching that point. Then I WILL have to Xbox Customer Service. :phonegonk:

LinkandKvel
January 17th, 2009, 09:48 PM
HELLO BEST BUY MONOPOLY!!!!!

Ifafudafi
January 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Ordinarily I'd be D:, but this store called Fry's Electronics opened only a mile away. It's got, like, twice the inventory of Best Buy and usually much cheaper. Plus they've got a bunch of computer parts (RAM, Processors, Video Cards, etc.), which helps satiate my constant need to upgrade my computer.

NuggetWarmer
January 17th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Mr. Ifafudafuckitshardtowriteyourname, Fry's isn't always the best choice. My friends and I have all had bad experiences with them. They almost always have a huge line at returns, mainly since they have a lot of faulty products, and a lot of times, they won't take back what you're returning. Plus, their credit card interest rates are really expensive.

Limited
January 17th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I hope you all have better luck at getting bargins than I did when Woolworths went into liquidization earlier this month.

I turned up to the store and the only thing left was baby foot and girls tshirts. Obviously I dont need either so it was a wasted trip :(

Bodzilla
January 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I hope you all have better luck at getting bargins than I did when Woolworths went into liquidization earlier this month.

I turned up to the store and the only thing left was baby foot and girls tshirts. Obviously I dont need either so it was a wasted trip :(
woolworths went broke?

how is that even possible.

English Mobster
January 17th, 2009, 11:10 PM

:gonk:

legionaire45
January 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Fry's Electronics is awesome.

I might go to Circuit City on Monday and see if I can pick up a cheap Blu-ray player :P

Terin
January 17th, 2009, 11:43 PM
The Circuit City near me was closing a while ago. I got a $3 case fan there... whoo. Although I ALMOST was able to get a 500GB hard drive for $30, but someone bought them all up.

paladin
January 18th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I knew this would happen 6 months ago...

Anton
January 18th, 2009, 01:37 AM
My cousin was store manager of a Circuit City in Chicago and it closed..

Sucks.

ExAm
January 18th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I'll head over there tomorrow. I hope not only shit is left, like when Mervyn's liquidated, I was disappointed when i went in to get a new pair of shoes (mine have a hole in the bottom) and found only patterned shit and shoes in bright colors :|

LinkandKvel
January 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Looked at my sunday paper's Circuit City advertisement. I don't think ours know they're going out of business.

36 months without interest wtf???

Syuusuke
January 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I called and it says they're closed. Didn't let me have a chance at buying something D: OH well.

Corndogman
January 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
heh, they built a brand new one down the road from me only a month ago, right across the street from Best Buy D: The place was chaos yesterday though, hundreds of people trying to pack in there and get their bargain.

Limited
January 18th, 2009, 12:58 PM
woolworths went broke?

how is that even possible.
Yeah I know, they made bad decisions and due to the credit crisis they were fatal for the company.

Also I meant food :P damn typo.

ExAm
January 18th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I called and it says they're closed. Didn't let me have a chance at buying something D: OH well.Today is sunday :|

LinkandKvel
January 18th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Today is sunday :|

? Circuit City is open on sundays.

ExAm
January 19th, 2009, 01:28 AM
? Circuit City is open on sundays.I found that out a few hours ago. I stand corrected. I was like "Oh, it is? Well then..." and I sped off to see what prices are like :v:
I'm waiting until I can get a laser mouse for 50% off.

n00b1n8R
January 19th, 2009, 03:11 AM
What other kind of mouse is there? :downs:

mR_r0b0to
January 19th, 2009, 03:22 AM
totally gonna exploit this and go there tomorrow

ExAm
January 19th, 2009, 05:40 AM
What other kind of mouse is there? :downs:Standard optical mice use an LED :eng101:
[1950s PSA]
"Golly gee, mister! I thought all the mice with the blinky red lights on the bottom were the same!" "Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Well, Jimmy, now we know why your mommy left, don't we?"
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/TheExAm/72539849.jpg
[/1950s PSA]