PDA

View Full Version : Possible?

Delta4907
January 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Would it be possible to not only freeze the game (e.g. game_speed 0) but freeze particles and effects? And while the game is frozen, be able to use devcam to fly around? Sort of like Saved Films in Halo 3, but without recording anything and such. The only thing that seems to be able to do this is the pause menu, which I wanted to fiddle with in Kornman00, but the flags for the pause game.ui_widget_definition are locked. I did noticed that the "pause game time" flag is checked, so this probably has to do with it.

Edit: Well turns out I had the wrong version of Kornman00, so that fixes that, but does anybody have an idea on how to do this?

sdavis117
January 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
If someone is even going to do a Theater like app, it will have to be an external app. I've been trying to find out how the 1.08 aimbots interpret player position in an attempt to put that in an external app, which would record: player position, player weapon, player color, player direction, etc (these are all things that the host tells the clients using packets, one that I want to make an external app that copies and records this info). Basically that's how the Halo 3 theater mode works.

That will be the easy part though. I'm going to have to also find a way to render this data. Maybe if I look into how Sapien renders maps I could make this work.

Advice?

t3h m00kz
January 22nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Honestly, that's pretty sweet-ass idea. Realistically, you'd probably need someone who knows programming languages, that is assuming you're not a programmer yourself.

Delta4907
January 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
That is a great idea, not sure it could be done though, but remember all I am asking to be able to freeze particles and effects, not actually play it out as if it was theater mode. What I had in mind was that it would be a pause menu option that freezes the game (including particles and the like), then remove all of the ui, then allow the player to enter debug_camera_save\debug_camera_load to enter camera mode, and fly around the map with everything frozen. Not only would this freeze particles, but fix that recorded animations screw-up that happens when you enter game_speed 0, and (mostly) pelicans or any other vehicle would still be playing the recorded animation but not be able to move.

Advancebo
January 22nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
I believe that is somewhat totally possible.

Inferno
January 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
game_speed 0.000001 should slow the game down to a stop but not completely freeze it.

This only works in SP btw.

Delta4907
January 22nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
That would be a temporary solution, but the recorded animations screw-up is still going to happen.

Inferno
January 22nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
I doubt your going to be able to fix the recorded animation glitch without using a external app to stop time.

Delta4907
January 22nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Like I said, what my goal is to NOT use game_speed 0, but somehow create a button that "pauses game time" like the pause menu does when opened in campaign.

Delta4907
January 23rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Sorry for double post, but could I get a little more feedback on how I would go about making the ui widget? I mean, if my stated idea above is not possible, then all I'm asking for is just a simple "not possible".

itszutak
January 23rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Have you tried the devtrainer time freezer?

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1050

Inferno
January 23rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Doesn't freeze effects.

Delta4907
January 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Sorry for double post, but could I get a little more feedback on how I would go about making the ui widget? I mean, if my stated idea above is not possible, then all I'm asking for is just a simple "not possible".

klange
January 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Isn't there a command that literally freezes the model output? I swear I remember such a command... it had the side effect of making everything behind you disappear due to clipping... Maybe I'm crazy.

Timo
January 25th, 2009, 03:32 AM
What are you wanting the widget to do? Just run a script when the button is pressed, like the switch bsp button in coldsnap?

Delta4907
January 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I do NOT want to use the game_speed command, as I have stated before, it does not freeze effects and causes that recorded animations glitch. The pause menu in sp freezes the game entirely, including particles, effects and doesn't cause that recorded animations glitch. Think of it as going in theater mode in Halo 3, and just pausing it. It pauses particles and effects and everything else. This is what I am trying to do, create a widget that just completley freezes the game, but allows you to use debug_camera_save\debug_camera_load to fly around and look at everything, another trait of Halo 3's theater. This would also help when taking pictures of a battle. Yes, this would be for sp as I really don't know how it would work in mp.

Timo
January 25th, 2009, 02:14 PM
There's a checkbox in a widget tag that's called 'pause game time', which does what you want. You could make a button open a widget referencing no bitmaps and has this checked so the screen will be blank when you hit a button, and time frozen. But I don't think you could manipulate the camera when it open.

Delta4907
January 25th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Yes, I know about the pause game time checkbox, but I guess since you can't use the camera while the game is frozen there's really no point anymore.