PDA

View Full Version : Computer Slows to a Crawl with cd/dvd

kenney001
January 22nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
It seems whenever I either burn or Read to/from my dvdrw drive, my computer gets really really slow, to the point that itunes lags playback horribly and the mouse jerks around...I burn at a slow speed (10x) and it still does it.

Some googling brought me nothing. Am I the only one that suffers this?

Mr Buckshot
January 22nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
Resource hog much? What software are you using to do the burning? I use Nero 7. Try restarting, and perhaps unplugging/re-plugging the drive.

This reminds me of my old laptop, when I was trying to copy a 6 GB file over to an external USB 2.5" hard drive the laptop suddenly slowed to the point that it was unusable until the transfer was done.

kenney001
January 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Im using Nero 6 (because we own a legal copy), yet it does it with playback through media player too.

If it matters, my drive is the only IDE device, and both my HDD are SATA.

Jean-Luc
January 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
I had this exact problem recently. Turns out that my DVD-rom was on it's last legs, so I had to replace mine. I'm not 100% sure as to why this happens, but my guess is that when the drive is close to failing, it has to use more resources to attempt to read/burn DVD/CD media.

I hope you don't have to replace yours too, but if you've had yours for a considerable amount of time (2+ years or so), might be time to look for a new one.

kenney001
January 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Thats probably the case. This drive is a couple years old, and it was cheap. It only started this recently too...

Thanks

Jean-Luc
January 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM
No prob