PDA

View Full Version : When people don't know anything about other cultures

Mr Buckshot
January 25th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Ever noticed that these days, lots of culturally insensitive people, particularly in America, like to think that these people:
http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:JQu-ioPcBIsd1M:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Sikh_wearing_turban.jpg/800px-Sikh_wearing_turban.jpg

are the same as these people:

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:M9VH36sIimZUZM:http://www.lazarusrising.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/osama.jpg

It's not on the news, but even in my Canadian community there's a rumor that some white kids at another school got lectured for shouting anti-Arab racist comments at a Sikh kid (basically calling him a terrorist), and were threatening to rip off his turban. Ok first of all your comments all targeted a different race, second of all you're stupid, third of all you need to know the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim.

In America, some postman delivered a package to a Sikh family. When he recorded his delivery log, the log showed that the package was received by "terrorist," not the Sikh father. And it was on the public internets. Another guy attacked a Sikh taxicab driver (Lots of cab drivers in Vancouver are Sikhs btw), calling him a terrorist.

The Sikh religion is VERY different from the Islam religion, and so far no Sikh has ever been involved in terrorism. This does not mean all Muslims are terrorists either, as racists love to think.

Sikh men wear their turbans because it is required by their religion. Muslim men aren't required to wear turbans (only the women have to cover their heads, and that's only in the most fanatic interpretations), the turbans are typically practical rather than religious due to the desert climate in much of the Middle East.

Anyway my message is, stop thinking Sikhs are terrorists, they have never done anything to America, and you can easily tell the difference between a Sikh turban and a Muslim turban (well it's not actually Muslim) from the way it is styled. Just like their other Asian neighbours, they like to migrate to this continent for a better life, their turbans should be respected and not insulted, and a noticeable number of them have suffered unjust treatment just because their heads look a little like Osama's.

DrunkenSamus
January 25th, 2009, 01:38 AM
It's called ignorant people. There are a lot of those, unfortunately.

Mr Buckshot
January 25th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Yes but many of them are educated, I'd think elementary social studies classes would have taught them a little bit about Sikhs, therefore they theoretically should know what a Sikh is.

SnaFuBAR
January 25th, 2009, 03:09 AM
You'd be surprised at how little people are educated about other cultures in every region. Consider exploration of other cultures and religions and philosophies and histories your own prerogative, and as goes the same with everyone else, which to say the least, is unfortunate.

nooBBooze
January 25th, 2009, 06:20 AM
The media imposed this strong imagery of evil bearded men with turbans on us and while it i find it arguable if they also created the basic feeling of fear they connected this imagery to, the "ignorant" seem to be that portion of society unable to transcend or even cope with that fear.
Learning about other cultures along with the realization that much less people die from "terrorism" than [on a national scale] from obesety, cancer and [on a global scale] starvation and desease may could help fight that fear. Also, prolonged exposure to mass media should also be avoided to ensure succses.

Bodzilla
January 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM
You'd be surprised at how little people are educated about other cultures in every region. Consider exploration of other cultures and religions and philosophies and histories your own prerogative, and as goes the same with everyone else, which to say the least, is unfortunate.
you dont want to do that snaf.

it makes people smarter thus making them harder to manipulate.

Needles
January 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I'm sikh too, and I have seen some people confuse us for Muslims or the 'terrorist'.

As for the turban, I'm pretty sure that you only have to wear it in the temple, and even then, anything that covers your head is good enough in temple (at least for mine, it's the only Sikh temple remotely close in FL).

Needles
January 25th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Yes but many of them are educated, I'd think elementary social studies classes would have taught them a little bit about Sikhs, therefore they theoretically should know what a Sikh is.

They wouldn't do that, or much. Christians, Jews, and Muslims are more major(have more people) and have more of a history (I forget which, but Sikh was either founded 600 years ago or in the 1600s) . In 6th grade, all I got about Sikh was it in a list of some religions. I really don't think anyone just cares enough.

Arteen
January 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I'll that I remember about Sikh people is that they carry around ceremonial daggers, but I just remember that from the occasional news report. I don't think the religion was ever brought up in class.

They wouldn't do that, or much. Christians, Jews, and Muslims are more major(have more people) and have more of a history (I forget which, but Sikh was either founded 600 years ago or in the 1600s) . In 6th grade, all I got about Sikh was it in a list of some religions. I really don't think anyone just cares enough.
According to Wikipedia, there are significantly more Sikhs than Jews (25 million compared to 13 million.

Needles
January 25th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I'll that I remember about Sikh people is that they carry around ceremonial daggers, but I just remember that from the occasional news report. I don't think the religion was ever brought up in class.

According to Wikipedia, there are significantly more Sikhs than Jews (25 million compared to 13 million.
O, didn't know that.

And yes, some carry ceremonial dagger/swords (they are curved). That, and the turban, the robes, and one other things. There are the 4 special things some do, and I think the priest has to do that.

Wait, there are 5, this is what wikipedia says:

Kesh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesh_%28Sikhism%29) (uncut hair) (I don't do that, but my hair is still long, and is always long)
Kanga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanga_%28Sikhism%29) (wooden comb) (I use a plastic one)
Kaccha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaccha) (specially designed underwear) (they're boxers, I don't use them)
Kara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kara_%28Sikhism%29) (iron bracelet) (I have a nice gold (yes, real gold) one, but it doesn't fit anymore)
Kirpan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan) (strapped sword). (thery're actually called swords, idk why though.)

I'm a Sikh, but I don't think I'm a baptized one. I think that's only for special purposes (for the priest and other holy figures).

Hotrod
January 25th, 2009, 12:12 PM
We learnt about Sikhs, and many other religions, only this year, and barely anything about them, only because I'm in IB, and therefore have a "world religions" class.

Limited
January 25th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I'll admit it, I get uneasy when I see someone with a turban on, I do not think they are a terrorist, the reason I feel uneasy is they do bizarre things, they live in the UK but have no adapted the UK culture.

On market day, when I walked to shops there was alot of people wearing turbans, they used to jump out at me, yelling some things at me (In another language) and thrusting a piece of fruit in my face). This has happened on many occasions in that market place.

After that incounter, I just feel uneasy around them but thats something I cant control.

I'll admit it and say I dont really know much about their culture, and if you lined a sikh person up next to a muslim, I would have no idea which is which, (even if they wore different clothes)

Mass
January 25th, 2009, 01:07 PM
We covered this last year, and I'm the only one that ever knew anything in that class.

All I can really remember is that Sikhs are from Southwestern India, wear turbans, and I believe are pacifists...

I don't think I've ever actually seen someone wearing a turban, and I live in Little India...

Mr Buckshot
January 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I told you, it's very easy to tell a Sikh from a Muslim, look at the difference between the two turbans in the pictures on the first post of this thread.

And in the UK, I highly doubt Muslims will wear turbans given the UK's temperate climate, like I said Middle Eastern Muslims wear turbans for practical rather than religious reasons, due to the hot climate. In the Western world, a turban wearer is almost certainly a Sikh, not a Muslim.

People who live in another country aren't obliged to adapt that country's general culture, e.g. in my province there is a large Asian population (with Chinese and Indians/Pakistanis forming the bulk of that population), and many of the Asians here are born in Canada. Yet they don't completely adopt a Westernized culture, yes they tend to speak English rather than their mother tongues but they do retain much of their traditions, such as the food they eat and the way they socialize, etc.

Respect these guys, Limited, they have the right to wear their turbans as much as you have the right not to wear one.

Limited
January 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Well if you mean by the way they are wrapped, the first picture is what the wear, although I try not to stare at someones turban, in case they assume I'm staring at it in a bad way.

Oh I respect their religion, I dont mind what they eat, what they do, how the pray. Thats there way of life, I accept it.

What I do not accept, is when they come into my country and DEMAND we change for them.

For example, a worker at Heathrow airport, an English women who wore a cross around her neck as she was Christian was fired from her job because it showed that she was religious or something like that, basically she wasnt allowed to wear the cross because it was a religious symbol and the airline didnt want it.

However, a musilm (I believe, ir might have been a sikh I cant remember) worked for the same airline, she wore I full robe (the one that covers body fully) and wore a religious symbol on top (around neck) she was allowed to wear it because of her religious beliefs, double standard or what? I believe the airline wanted to show they didnt discriminate against muslims, allowing her to wear it. But they didnt give two shits about the English Christian.

I know this doesnt show them as demanding change, but it does go on, they demand change and dont respect our believes and culture.

Someone tried to ban merry christmas signs in 2007 as it contradicted their beliefs, yes they may not believe in the same of us, however I believe they should accept our way of life and put up with the signs.

They also tried to ban our national flag being put up in public places. Like I've said many times, if they come to our country, they need to respect it. If I went to their origin country, I expect to see their own flag around the place, am I offended by it? No, and I feel that is what everyone in the world should feel, they should respect the country.

We provide them with work, free health care, security, they should at least be able to accept having the national flag in public places.

Needles
January 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
We covered this last year, and I'm the only one that ever knew anything in that class.

All I can really remember is that Sikhs are from Southwestern India, wear turbans, and I believe are pacifists...

I don't think I've ever actually seen someone wearing a turban, and I live in Little India...
Sikhs are from Northern India! And a lot of them don't wear turbans.

Also"

Sikhs do not disagree with science, as it does not conflict with Sikh Scriptures or beliefs. In fact scientists are just now discovering the concepts that were written in Sikh scriptures centuries ago. Sikh Gurus told Sikhs not to smoke, do drugs or drink alcohol centuries ago. Scientists confirm that drinking alcohol, smoking and consuming drugs have harmful effects on the body.
Sikhism beliefs have not been disproven by science. Global perspectives in science find its echo in the philosophy of Sikh religion, founded by Guru Nanak during the fifteenth century in India. It has some parallelism with Renaissance and reformation movements in Europe. Scientific facts support the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib.
Guru Granth Sahib states that, “There are planets, solar systems and galaxies. If one speaks of them, there is no limit, no end. There are worlds upon worlds of His Creation. As He commands, so they exist. He watches over all, and contemplating the creation, He rejoices. Nanak says, to describe this is as hard as steel!” (Guru Granth Sahi, 8). Furthermore, it is stated that God created the whole universe including the earth. “You Yourself created the earth, and the two lamps of the sun and the moon” (Guru Granth Sahi,83). And, “Many millions are the moons, suns and stars” (Guru Granth Sahi, 275).
Fuck yeah.:woop:

SnaFuBAR
January 25th, 2009, 08:00 PM
iirc, Sikhism is a combination of Islam and Hinduism that was founded to promote peace.

Needles
January 25th, 2009, 08:05 PM
iirc, Sikhism is a combination of Islam and Hinduism that was founded to promote peace.

It may share some things, but it's wasn't made for a combo of them.

SuperSunny
January 25th, 2009, 08:09 PM
It's not exactly a combo, but I'd say it relates closer to native Hinduism than it does to Islam. Sikh's (true Sikh's, not the Jatt wannabes if you know what I mean) are some of the most peaceful people on this planet. Every time I hear of a story relating a Sikh to a "terrorist," it seriously does a number on my heart.

I'm not religious, I don't believe in god. My family is Hindu. As much as I enjoy learning about the Hindu culture and visiting Temples, a Gurudwara (Sikh Temple) is much more chill. Literally, they're hippies in modern, intelligent form.

Needles
January 25th, 2009, 08:11 PM
It's not exactly a combo, but I'd say it relates closer to native Hinduism than it does to Islam. Sikh's (true Sikh's, not the Jatt wannabes if you know what I mean) are some of the most peaceful people on this planet. Every time I hear of a story relating a Sikh to a "terrorist," it seriously does a number on my heart.

What are the "Jatt" Wanabees? Would you consider me one?

Nvm, I just found that they are some thing that originated from a tribe (on wikipedia). But they have 31 million people, more than normal Sikhs....
Just wondering, is anyone else here Sikh?

dark57
January 25th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I feel smurt caz i already knew this stuff :D

Mr Buckshot
January 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Ah, so we have some Hindus and Sikhs here. The Asian population on this forum is bigger than I thought :P (previously I thought the only active Asians were me, Amit, Syuusuke, Bathroom Security (formerly), and mr r0b0to). I think Amit's Indian-Canadian.

Don't know if there are other Sikhs here. Nice to see, though, that so far many users here know that Sikhs =/= al Qaeda. That's the message of this thread - end the "omg terrorist" comments directed at turban-wearing Indian people.

Btw I thought all male Sikhs are required to wear a turban in public at all times? (some companies, i.e. Mounties, that have official hats, needed to make exemptions for Sikhs, lol).

Amit
January 26th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Yeah. I'm Hindu. Born in Toronto. Parents born in Guyana. We have Caribbean traditions mixed equally with Hindu traditions. If you stick a regular Indian person in where my parents grew up, they'd probably get choked and robbed.

Syuusuke
January 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm part.

But I didn't know the asian pop. in here was a bit abundant either...

Asian INVASIONINVASIAN!!!!

You know, I'm glad I had a sikh friend who was my neighbor because I actually took the time to learn about his culture and ponder on the similarities...then proceeded to crack jokes on him because he was such a good friend.

Man I feel so detached from my cultural, I may look asian, but no way in hell do I act so.

Mr Buckshot
January 26th, 2009, 07:50 PM
It's ok Syuusuke, Vancouver has a lot of Asians who are born and raised in Canada and who have rarely, if, ever, been to Asia. They behave very differently from immigrants like me :P It's quite easy to tell whether an Asian-Canadian was born in Canada or was an immigrant.

Cracking jokes on your Sikh friend? tsk tsk.