PDA

View Full Version : Mac: Wireless Adapter?

Limited
January 28th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Okay so I moved house and my dads mac (its a tower, not a laptop) is in the office, now the router is downstairs in the living room.

Its a wireless lan and in the old house it was connected via a cable, as the mac was right next to the router, as now isnt the case cables isnt an option.

What I'm asking is, how/if a mac can connect to a wireless network by default (without buying any parts) if it cant, is there any adapters you can buy to allow you to.

Cheers

sdavis117
January 28th, 2009, 08:07 PM
How new is the Mac? If it doesn't have Wireless built in just get an adapter with a Mac Driver (if Macs use drivers, which if I forget if they do, considering the last time I had one was well over a decade ago).

Limited
January 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
To be honest I havent even check if it has, macs confuse the hell out of me. Is there a way in settings I can check (your going to have to give me instructions)

As for how new, a couple of years old.

Mr Buckshot
January 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM
USB wi-fi adapter (the size of a flash drive, except with an antenna attached) or a wifi adapter that plugs into the ethernet port. If you don't want external devices, check to see if the mobo has a PCI slot (probably does) and install a PCI wifi adapter there.

Is this one of those old PowerMacs that doesn't use intel parts?

Phopojijo
January 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Yes Macs definitely use drivers... it's essential.

Mac Pros don't come with Wireless though... you need to install a card from Apple for 50$...

Though probably at 20$ USB adapter also works.

Limited
January 29th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Hmm, cant seem to find any USB adapters that are compatible with Macs

Phopojijo
January 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah you could probably find a driver laying around if you find out what chipset is used in the dongle.

Because everything "just works" with an Apple >_>