PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Road Sign Pranks

Kornman00
February 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Sauce (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29017293/).

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/090128/a_andersen_zombiesign_090128.300w.jpg

Pranksters in at least three states are messing with electronic road signs meant to warn motorists of possible traffic problems by putting drivers on notice about Nazi zombies and raptors. And highway safety officials aren't amused.

The latest breach came Tuesday during the morning rush hour near Collinsville, Ill., where hackers changed a sign along southbound Interstate 255 to read, "DAILY LANE CLOSURES DUE TO ZOMBIES."

A day earlier in Indiana's Hamilton County, the electronic message on a board in Carmel's construction zone warned drivers of "RAPTORS AHEAD — CAUTION."

Brilliant prank. However, I wouldn't be laughing if a roadside crew member was injured due to an uninformed driver. While you should of course have your eyes on the fucking road at all times, sometimes some people (especially the driver to your left and right) need a big ass sign with big flashing letters saying ZOMBIES Roadcrews ahead.

Other than that tho, :giggle:

Anton
February 5th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Yeah I was watching this on the news a few days ago, tis' awesome. I just hope no one gets hurt.

LlamaMaster
February 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM
This thread is a failure without the tutorial:

http://jalopnik.com/5141430/how-to-hack-an-electronic-road-sign

itszutak
February 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6470280,00.jpg

:v:

DarkHalo003
February 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM
http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2006-05/klaatu-barada-nikto.jpg
Hur what? :haw:

Mr Buckshot
February 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
@ DarkHalo: it might be a foreign language

I've seen it in person when my dad rented a car in Boston, a lot of M.I.T. students like to do this. It never gets old though. I wish UBC students would do that in Vancouver...

Limited
February 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Nice, but extremely dangerous. If its a sign thats switched off and doesnt say anything then yeah I'm all in, but if it had an important message.

Heathen
February 5th, 2009, 07:22 PM
The foreign stuff sounds like harry potter.

I like this :D

DarkHalo003
February 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
The foreign stuff sounds like harry potter.

I like this :D
That's what I thought. It also says Road Work Ahead on the sign below, so who knows. We Muggles don't know magic!

itszutak
February 5th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I guess none of you have seen The Day the Earth Stood Still.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_barada_nikto

:v:

TeeKup
February 5th, 2009, 09:36 PM
@ DarkHalo: it might be a foreign language

I've seen it in person when my dad rented a car in Boston, a lot of M.I.T. students like to do this. It never gets old though. I wish UBC students would do that in Vancouver...

You're a friggin idiot.

Mr Buckshot
February 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
You're a friggin idiot.

I actually saw a hacked sign there, seriously, it had the word "love" in it but I didn't get to see the full message. Anyway if you hate my posts so much, read my sig.

paladin
February 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Wow, im gonna try

itszutak
February 6th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Wow, im gonna try
Tampering with federal property is a pretty severe crime, afaik. Risk versus reward, it's just a bad idea.

SnaFuBAR
February 6th, 2009, 01:10 AM
it's not federal property, it's privately owned.

itszutak
February 6th, 2009, 01:24 AM
it's not federal property, it's privately owned.
I thought the signs were owned by the construction comp--

oh.

disregard my earlier post

Mr Buckshot
February 6th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I thought the signs were owned by the construction comp--

oh.

disregard my earlier post

lolz it's America...government doesn't own such companies.

Also, this is funny:

http://jalopnik.com/5146080/jalopnik+hacked-road-sign-were-all-going-to-jail-now

RIGHT AFTER Jalopnik "warned" people not to do it...

Bodzilla
February 6th, 2009, 03:03 AM
sometimes some people (especially the driver to your left and right) need a big ass sign with big flashing letters saying ZOMBIES Roadcrews ahead.

fucking tell me about it, today some fucking bitch barged into my lane on a ROUND-A-BOUT and nearly took out the front of my car, it wasnt a, well look they needed to merge moment, it was a THIS BITCH NEARLY TOOK OUT THE FRONT OF MY FUCKING CAR FOR NO REASON.

she's fucking lucky i dont have a fuze in my horn, because if i did i would of been on the fucking thing the whole way through town.
i just tail gated her all the way through town and then fucking blew past her with my finger in the air.

Credit given where credits due.
/rant

Mr Buckshot
February 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
she's fucking lucky i dont have a fuze in my horn, because if i did i would of been on the fucking thing the whole way through town.
i just tail gated her all the way through town and then fucking blew past her with my finger in the air.

(off topic) see what I mean, you need to be a more tolerant person (in reference to the ask-for-mod thing). Yeah it pisses everyone off but if it were me I'd just let it go, no need to let stress get the better of me. Just don't ever drive on my city's roads plz. (end off topic)

No Kornman, those trucks need to have a flashing sign on the back that says "hey guz Im gonna occupy 2 parking spaces at the mall dun be mad plz." Yeah the parking space is a bit tight but it's perfectly feasible to center something like a Dodge Ram truck in the middle of the space, but most of these truck drivers here are so lazy they just drive into the space and half of their vehicle goes onto the adjacent space.

"Zombies ahead" is lame though. We need more "t3h flood is on earth" ftw.

Kornman00
February 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
No Kornman, those trucks need to have a flashing sign on the back that says "hey guz Im gonna occupy 2 parking spaces at the mall dun be mad plz." Yeah the parking space is a bit tight but it's perfectly feasible to center something like a Dodge Ram truck in the middle of the space, but most of these truck drivers here are so lazy they just drive into the space and half of their vehicle goes onto the adjacent space.
how did anything I said transfer into wide-load trucks or parking spaces :confused:

:iiam:

TheGhost
February 6th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Haha, yeah, I saw that "Raptors ahead -- caution" sign on the news. What made it even more funny was that it was blinking fast.

Bodzilla
February 6th, 2009, 05:34 PM
(off topic) see what I mean, you need to be a more tolerant person (in reference to the ask-for-mod thing). Yeah it pisses everyone off but if it were me I'd just let it go, no need to let stress get the better of me. Just don't ever drive on my city's roads plz. (end off topic)

i have a rage incident mb once a year, hell i dont mind if people cut me off as long as it's not fuckign ridiculous and rude.

if theres a fuck load of traffic i'll slow down, wave people in, and forgive minor things like that because hell they need to get places too.

but what i cant fucking stand is a person getting into a lane thats ending to try and force their way into my lane, nearly totaling my fucking car in the process.
you wanna drive like that you can get the fuck off my road. it's not even about merging because her lane is ending or anything like that.

the round-a-bouts in my town a double laned for only a few m's either side of it to allow people to turn left, if someone is turning right, so logically if i stay in the straight through lane and you get in the left lane, that you know will end under 5 m's off the round-a-bout and you try to barge into my fuckign lane you can go and suck on a fucking horse's cock because not only are you rude, your a terrible driver and your nothing more then an inconsiderate fucking piece of shit.
and i have no problem with calling a spade, a spade.