PDA

View Full Version : How do I activate particles?

Dinobot
February 7th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I know its a stupid question, but I'm new to the community.:embarrassed: Anyway when I play the CMT maps, or any map, I can't see the flames coming out of the flamethrower. :confused: I don't know why, but I figure that I either needed a new graphics card, or particles are turned off. I don't even know if thats possible, but if it is how do I turn them on. Could somebody help me? Thanks. Oh and if it matters my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8400.

Invader Veex
February 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM
ingame, hit 'Esc', then go to settings. From there, go to video settings and there you can adjust everything to your liking.

Dinobot
February 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Wow, I am a total noob.:embarrassed: I had no idea that I had so much stuff disabled. Thanks a lot it makes the game sooo much better, now I just can't wait till CMT SPV2 comes out.

Amit
February 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Wow, I am a total noob.:embarrassed: I had no idea that I had so much stuff disabled. Thanks a lot it makes the game sooo much better, now I just can't wait till CMT SPV2 comes out.

Make sure that you can run the SPV1 maps at a good solid 30 FPS or above. Otherwise, you will have extreme difficulty enjoying SPV2

Inferno
February 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
CMT - We use 1024x10 to the infinite power textures.

Mr Buckshot
February 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Make sure that you can run the SPV1 maps at a good solid 30 FPS or above. Otherwise, you will have extreme difficulty enjoying SPV2

He has a Geforce 8400, although it is a lower end dedicated card it is more than enough for Halo and the CMT SPV1. Even my ASUS EEE with an Intel card can push the CMT spv1 at over 30 fps at 640x480, sm1.1 settings, everything turned on except specular.

Dinobot
February 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies, and the advice. I'm sure it will help when SPV2 comes.:D

Mr Buckshot
February 7th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Your 8400 can even hit Halo 2 :P Halo isn't really an ideal benchmark of how good a video card is.

Dinobot
February 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Since we are already on the topic of graphics, what are your opinions for optimal resolution, framerate, and refresh rate. I kept messing around with different combinations, but each time the game would still lag a little bit.

Mr Buckshot
February 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM
1024x768 on highest settings, if that doesn't cut it go down to 800x600. Enabling VSync is only useful (locks the framerate at refresh rate) if you know the card can easily take the game at any setting.

legionaire45
February 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM
For resolution, use the highest you can. More pixels = better.

What I usually do when I'm tweaking a game's settings is I start with maxing the resolution and then enable what features I can enable before the framerate goes below 60fps (my definition of decent). If the image quality looks fine I'll leave it at that, but if textures are blurry or aliasing is terrible I'll lower the resolution a bit and tweak the setting in question.

Regarding V-Sync; that setting is really only useful if you are having issues with vertical shearing, which I've found only happens with really high framerates. Even then, I think it's better to ignore the shearing and have the higher frame rate, even if the LCD can't go above a certain framerate anyway.

Lateksi
February 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Sometimes I have to play on low resolution and I feel like there was more bullet magnetism. I'm sure that's just a feeling, though.

Dinobot
February 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks, so I should keep the framerate at 30?

Amit
February 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM
He has a Geforce 8400, although it is a lower end dedicated card it is more than enough for Halo and the CMT SPV1. Even my ASUS EEE with an Intel card can push the CMT spv1 at over 30 fps at 640x480, sm1.1 settings, everything turned on except specular.

I assume he wants to play at a resolution above 1024x768.

1024x768 on highest settings, if that doesn't cut it go down to 800x600. Enabling VSync is only useful (locks the framerate at refresh rate) if you know the card can easily take the game at any setting.

This.

Dinobot
February 8th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Sorry for the stupid question but, how would I know if the resolution is too high, would it just lag more?

Ifafudafi
February 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Pretty much.

Increasing resolution = more pixels = sharper, clearer images = more strain on the graphics card.

Dinobot
February 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I was just playing a campaign map, Flood Eradication Beta 3, from halomaps and my computer keeps turning it off and giving me exceptions. Could this just be the map, or is it because of the graphic settings I have? Are any of you guys downloaded this map and had troubles with it?

legionaire45
February 8th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I haven't played the level, but judging from past experiences with SP over Multi, it could very well be the map. If the stock maps are stable then it's definitely the map, so try running some of the default maps and see if it is stable.

Dinobot
February 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I don't have the stock SP maps anymore, but I still tried what you said with the CMT SP maps I have instead. It works fine,:D, even though Silent Cartographer is laggy no matter what I do.:(