PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment? HAH!

TeeKup
February 13th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I just got a job at the local BacInTyme Historical Coffee Shop.

http://www.bacintyme.com/

TAKE THAT ECONOMY.

Syuusuke
February 13th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Eh I need a job.

flibitijibibo
February 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Heh... who needs a real job...

Glad to see you've escaped Gamestop.

n00b1n8R
February 13th, 2009, 09:34 PM
My mate gets $200 for 2 days work every second weekend.
He cooks saussages and sells them outside the local hardware store.
He can eat all the snags and drink all the softdrink he likes.

i want his job so bad omfg

Bastinka
February 13th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Would prefer a modern day Cafe, something European. Antiques disgust me.

CabooseJr
February 13th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I have yet to find anyone to hire me.

PlasbianX
February 13th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Im going strong with my job getting 35+ hours a week and making a good $200+ a week.

Woot.

Limited
February 13th, 2009, 09:58 PM
When they say unemployment, they mean career type jobs, not just your average paper boy jobs. Although they will get affected soon.

klange
February 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
When they say unemployment, they mean career type jobs, not just your average paper boy jobs. Although they will get affected soon.
Not really.
Unemployment is the number of people actively seeking and failing to find a job. Doesn't matter what it is.

Ie, I'm not unemployed: I'm not actively seeking a job.

Masterz1337
February 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Gamestop sucks. I love my jobs.

Ifafudafi
February 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Bleh, you kids and your no-college-required minimum-wage jobs at the local Whataburger.

Actually, from what I've seen, this whole ZOMG ECONOMY NO JOBS LOLOL thing is blown quite out of proportion, at least where I live.

mech
February 14th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Im going strong with my job getting 35+ hours a week and making a good $200+ a week.

Woot.

I feel sorry for you.

Cortexian
February 14th, 2009, 02:04 AM

Woot.

I feel sorry for you.
I agree, hell I'm making about $400 a week, and that's only about 20-25 hours of work (part time)... I'm getting another part time job as well, or maybe just a new full time position at the new place depending on how much I like it.

klange
February 14th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I worked for these guys (http://itt.com) making this thing (http://enivate.com/enivate_software.asp), 40 hours a week for a few months. Internships rock.

I left on my own because I had more important things to do.

flibitijibibo
February 14th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Actually, from what I've seen, this whole ZOMG ECONOMY NO JOBS LOLOL thing is blown quite out of proportion, at least where I live.
Yeah, I see a bunch of people doing that around here for some reason, even though everyone has a government job anyway... :facepalm:

Limited
February 14th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Bleh, you kids and your no-college-required minimum-wage jobs at the local Whataburger.

Oh dont you worry, it will catch up, every industry sector is being hit, they are having to let people go, that affects hiring dramatically.

If your doing HR, you are completely screwed.

We're hit worse here in UK which is sad because we are only a small reason it occurred, our government will have to start printing money soon and it wont even help I bet, we will just lose the value of the pound.

My friend is doing business studies, hes thinking of doing an honors degree and then a gap year, after that time he hopes the crisis wont be as bad so he can get a job. Its looking doubtful.

You might think your all fine and dandy in your walmart, petrol station, delivering papers job, but is that really how you see your future. Do you really want to have a limit carer which has no future prospects? Thats the harsh reality of the current market.

Anyone who under estimates the global financial climate is a fool and will pay the price for it.

flibitijibibo
February 14th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Eh, I always hated HR people. I to this day have no fucking clue what my HR person did at my old (real) job, other than harass people about their hours. p0lar, if you're reading this, can you answer this question for me?

Masterz1337
February 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM
For all you people who think the economy isn't effecting you, just wait. The less money people make, the less they spend, the less they spend, the less needed you are to help maintain the store. Over the summer and early fall, my store had enough hours so people could come to work when they wanted and on their own time, now the stores are limited to like 6 or 7 people on the busiest days, and 3-4 people on weekdays.

Anyone who works in a place a bar above the basic things that people need probably already are feeling the impact.

Sel
February 15th, 2009, 11:11 PM
There is only a recession if as long as we are making one. If people were spending then the economy would be holding itself up, we do not need foreign trade to hold up our economies. However fuckwits like Jack Layton don't seem to realise this and go around predicting death and recession to all, and hey people fall for it. So now we're fucked :)

Mr Buckshot
February 15th, 2009, 11:19 PM
If you want a somewhat recession proof professional job with good income (not rich lifestyle income, but still very good, starts at over $80k/year), be a high school teacher in lower mainland BC, Canada. There are quite a few spots open even in early 2009, plus the VSB protects you even if you suck at the job (it's quite unlikely for a Vancouver teacher to get fired these days unless tons of students and their parents actually start complaining like hell). At least 4 teachers at my school are very much hated and they've kept their jobs for over 10 years because no one bothers to lodge a formal complaint.

Requirements: Finish undergrad at a real university and do well of course. Community college won't cut it, unless you want to teach those trades type of electives, or gym class. While I don't aspire to be a teacher, I am prepared to take up such a job if necessary and I won't complain about it, yes I won't be living a flashy laid back life but I'll be living a life I can enjoy.

Yeah where I live, a lot of the jobs are the indispensable service sector kind, the economy is fairly stable here. But the more professional jobs are definitely going. I know some people whose parents have lost jobs because Nortel, a Canadian telecoms company, went bankrupt. In California, software engineering is a big part of the Silicon Valley economy, with falling demand for that stuff a lot of software jobs are being slashed too.

QFT. As long as you still live the way modern civilization does, such low end jobs are never in short supply. People still need to eat, pump gas, buy groceries, etc. But if you want to be, say, a software programmer or architect or something, it's hard to find that now.

Pooky
February 20th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I just got a job at the local BacInTyme Historical Coffee Shop.

http://www.bacintyme.com/

TAKE THAT ECONOMY.

HF coffee shop buddy! o/

n00b1n8R
February 20th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Wait, didn't you have some desk job or something?

Pooky
February 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah I did, then I got recession pwned.

TeeKup
February 21st, 2009, 08:37 AM
This job is beyond awesome.

Corndogman
February 21st, 2009, 09:01 PM
eh, I need a job too. Gotsta be able to buy a car so I can get the ladies. I'm too lazy to actually look for a job though, so that's not going well for me.

Although, This summer I might be able to get a $15/hour paid internship in the IT department where my mom works. That would be quite nice.