PDA

View Full Version : Over 12000+ Objects floating around the earth

RobertGraham
February 15th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Check it out, thats crazy: http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/02/12/1792539.aspx?GT1=43001

This photo illustration of 12,000 space objects is a stunner. I keep looking for Waldo.

Heathen
February 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Space debris?

Duh.

Or does it mean satellites?

Bastinka
February 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Too low res for me to see anything at all.

cheezdue
February 15th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I've heard about this on AOTS.

Syuusuke
February 15th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Heh trash in space...they'll come down...eventually.

LinkandKvel
February 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM

Along with your cell phone reception.

ultama121
February 15th, 2009, 06:32 PM
My science teacher showed my class this a few days ago. Hopefully they'll find some way to get rid of it...

TheGhost
February 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM
This reminds me of that thing in Wall-E, right? Where the entire surface was junked with dud satellites and whatnot.

Heathen
February 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Uh, actually the pull of gravity and the directional momentum they reach orbit at balances out so theoretically they will orbit forever.

Syuusuke
February 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I was thinking about that too...

but something will slam into it and pull it down...or away.

RobertGraham
February 15th, 2009, 07:49 PM
This reminds me of that thing in Wall-E, right? Where the entire surface was junked with dud satellites and whatnot.haha, thats so ironic, because thats the first thing I thought of

Heathen
February 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Thats not ironic, its merely coincidental.
http://www.homiesonfire.com/futurama/Bender.gif

sdavis117
February 15th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Oh gawd, all of those sattelites (in scientific terms anything with mass orbiting the Earth is a sattelite).

I've heard about this on AOTS.

Screensavers was much better.

Llama Juice
February 15th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I dunno about you guys... but... last time I checked a satellite is usually about the size of a school bus... if not smaller.... I doubt you'd be able to see any of those in any detail what-so-ever floating around the earth like that... let alone seeing anything more than a dot....

RobertGraham
February 15th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Depending on the Satellite. Phone Satellites are usually the size of a Riding Lawnmower

Llama Juice
February 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Exactly... I was using a large example because at this distance... the earth wouldn't look that cluttered

jngrow
February 15th, 2009, 09:34 PM
haha, thats so ironic, because thats the first thing I thought of
That's not ironic, it is a coincidence. :eng101:

RobertGraham
February 15th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Doh! I feel dumb now :(

Mr Buckshot
February 15th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Uh, actually the pull of gravity and the directional momentum they reach orbit at balances out so theoretically they will orbit forever.

No they need to maintain a minimum velocity to stay in orbit. Some satellites really did fall out of orbit because they stopped moving. You know, Fc = mv^2/r, if v = 0, Fc = 0, and to be in orbit Fc must be greater than or equal to Fg. Major orbiting devices need to be re-boosted occasionally to prevent them from losing velocity.

Syuusuke
February 15th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Doh! I feel dumb now :(

You need to listen to George Carlin's differential on irony and coincidence =D

Rob Oplawar
February 15th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah, people tend to picture near-earth-orbit space to be cluttered like those pictures depict, but think about it this way- at peak hours there are around 5000 aircraft above the US simultaneously, but when you look up the most you're going to see is 5 or 6, and they're all quite distant, and you can only see that many because they tend to cluster around major cities. Plus, those aircraft are all flying within a range of a few miles of altitude, while satellites are scattered over hundreds.

Even so, as we saw the other day, collisions are possible...

e: also, redundant title is redundant.

kid908
February 16th, 2009, 08:25 PM
our trash problems are solved. govies buy rockets. put trash in. blast off to who knows where :D

Warsaw
February 17th, 2009, 02:49 AM
No they need to maintain a minimum velocity to stay in orbit. Some satellites really did fall out of orbit because they stopped moving. You know, Fc = mv^2/r, if v = 0, Fc = 0, and to be in orbit Fc must be greater than or equal to Fg. Major orbiting devices need to be re-boosted occasionally to prevent them from losing velocity.

No only that, but a lot of these objects are still skimming the outermost layers of the atmosphere, creating friction, thus slowing them down.

Limited
February 17th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Yup, theres tons of space debris. The highest risk that the Space flight's encounter is space debris, not take off, entering orbit or landing back to the ground, but space debris.

Theres so much of it and its becoming a huge problem.