PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max 8 will not start

Geo
February 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah the title pretty much says it. Whenever I try to start 3ds max 8, it will show the little hourglass next to my cursor, like its loading, but then it stops and 3ds max never loads. The weird thing is that when I look under my processes in task manager, it shows 3dsmax.exe in the list, even though I have no indication other than that, that it is loading at all.

I have tried reinstalling, restarting, and changing the graphics mode for 3ds, but to no avail..

Could anyone help me out?

Snowy
February 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Sometimes programs do that to me when my license to use it runs out.

Invader Veex
February 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Happened to me with Max 7 once. I just shut my pc off for a couple hours, got back on, and it was fine.

Limited
February 17th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Do you have the autodesk licensing service running? You need it to be, although usually if your not it will display an error saying error loading license.

Geo
February 17th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Well to be honest, I'm not sure how to turn it on or off, so I can't really tell you if its running. :\

Limited
February 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Go to start > run and type "services.msc", a window will pop up a couple of seconds later, under name look for "Autodesk licensing service". Under the status tab, make sure its set to "Started", if its blank then its not running, to start it double click the name and hit the start button.

Geo
February 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Nope, it was already started, so I don't think thats the issue.

Roostervier
February 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Instead of reinstalling, try uninstalling and then installing again. Unless that's what you meant by reinstalling.

Geo
February 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah thats what I meant. I uninstalled (including temps and config files) and then installed again. But when I tryed to start it again to register 3dsmax, it wouldn't even let me get to that.

Sel
February 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Format?

Compatibility mode?

Idk

klange
February 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Check to make sure you don't have any broken plugins.
If Max doesn't get past the splash screen, that's usually the problem.

Expired registrations will still start (with the registration screen), and incorrect graphics setups will usually display the window for a split second.

Geo
February 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM
It doesn't even show that little screen on the startup at all. I literally click the icon and nothing happens.