PDA

View Full Version : 'Halo-like' game suggestions?

Kaishounashi
February 20th, 2009, 01:09 AM
tldr version: looking for (active) halo-like pc game (aside from h2v, tf2, or ut3). nothing too insanely paced. suggestions please?

-----------------------------------

Howdy people,

Seeing as how the CE population has been dwindling down little by little and the only servers I ever see with players tend to be the 'gimmick' maps or BG, i'd like to find a new game for me and my co-workers to transition to. While I have done some 'research' (ie google, forum posts), It would be much appreciated it if the Modacity community would be so kind as to offer their input. :D

We game in between downtime, so we'd like a game we can just jump in and out of for a quick match. Aside from the obvious criteria (a healthy player population/custom content commnity), I think they'd like something that isn't too insanely fast (ala quake) and has optional vehicles.

I was leaning towards UT3 (which I picked up but never really played back during the Steam holidays sale) up until I found out that the player population is pretty much dead. Upon further investigation (ie google) some forum posts explained how epic/midway fudged up the game. Maybe the upcoming march update will revitalize it though... I did attempt to turn my co-workers onto TF2 but was pretty much met with disinterest, which is a real shame since it's fun and has a strong community behind it (guess they didn't like the class based system?). I'm not sure about the CoD or Battlefield series since i've never played those..

So yeah, any and all input is appreciated as long as it's relevant to the topic. =P Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

P.S. No 'go do your work' comments >_>

Con
February 20th, 2009, 01:25 AM
play halo pc?

also, cod is a pretty good series and you'll be guaranteed good servers.

legionaire45
February 20th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Runescape.

Really, I think your best best is TF2 or equivalent.

Lateksi
February 20th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Warsow (http://www.warsow.net/) for free.

p0lar_bear
February 20th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I can tell you to avoid Unreal Tournament (any version), Half-Life (1 and 2) Deathmatch, Team Fortress Classic, and Counter-Strike, but I can't make any recommendations.

Pooky
February 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Well none of those games are even remotely halo-like soooooo

I'd just do like Con said and play Halo PC. Lots of people still play that.

Or you could go play Halo 2 or 3 on XBL.

The only good Halo-like game I can think of is Republic Commando, and nobody plays that online :|

Rook
February 20th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I can tell you to avoid Unreal Tournament (any version),
Whatt? UT99 and UT04 were great.

p0lar_bear
February 20th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Whatt? UT99 and UT04 were great.

tldr version: looking for (active) halo-like pc game ...nothing too insanely paced.

Unreal is a fast paced game, unless you play against stupid bots.

Rook
February 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Ahh I see that now.

And @ OP aren't you one of the {ITS} guys? If so stay with halo that server was one of the few "ok" ones.

Kaishounashi
February 20th, 2009, 01:46 PM
howdy all,

Lateksi - I had heard about 'Warsong' a couple of weeks ago and meant to give it a go but completely forgot about it till now. It looks and plays pretty nicely (thanks to its Quake III/Online engine).

Rook - Yeah, i'm '{ITS} Dutch'. I don't know how much longer we'll be keeping the server; we might just move it over to Halo PC as suggested. I love playing custom maps and all, but they're not too fun when you're by yourself. =|

Pooky - Haven't tried Republic Commando but that's a shame that no one plays it.

Thanks again all for the suggestions thus far. I'm gonna try Call of Duty 4 this weekend once I d/l a demo for it.

Warsaw
February 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Starship Troopers is very Halo-like in how it plays, right down to the engine being very similar. Dunno how the multiplayer is these days, haven't played it in years (or Halo PC/CE for that matter).

RobertGraham
February 20th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hey, thanks for the Warsow game. It doesnt show me any online games though :(

Lateksi
February 20th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Hmm but you got the latest version? :[

Lex1337
February 20th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Play Halo 1 on XBC. Crazy good people on there.

RobertGraham
February 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Hmm but you got the latest version? :[
I dunno, where is the latest version at? The link was in this thread and it somehow isnt there anymore.

jngrow
February 20th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Play Halo 1 on XBC. Crazy good people on there.
Except that like, it's the laggiest thing in the history of lag. Well, at least when I tried it.

klange
February 21st, 2009, 07:27 PM
Did you click "Search"? I don't think it actually looks for games when showing the game list until you click search.

Also, hot damn, this thing runs like a beast even on my i945 under Linux. Maybe it's the new UXA acceleration architecture...

Sel
February 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Crysis wars is kinda halo-ish, but I can't seriously reccommend it anymore since crytek has really let the game go to shit.

RobertGraham
February 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM
Did you click "Search"? I don't think it actually looks for games when showing the game list until you click search.

Also, hot damn, this thing runs like a beast even on my i945 under Linux. Maybe it's the new UXA acceleration architecture...
lol, I'm not that stupid.. I know, the games just wont load up in the list for me though, and I really don't feel like registering at their forum to ask, lol

Lateksi
February 23rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
Sorry for bump.

I'm pretty sure you managed to download the latest build (0.42 (http://www.warsow.net/?page=download)) but I don't know why it won't work for you. The reason why it runs "beast" is because it's basically Quake 2's engine and has very simple but colorful appearance.

t3h m00kz
February 23rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
Unreal is a fast paced game, unless you play against stupid bots.

Actually, Unreal Tournament 1 is a moderate/fast-paced game, Unreal Tournament 2004 is fucking howler-monkeys-on-cocaine-paced with the addition of double jumping, dodge jumping and wall dodging.

Unreal Tournament 1 is great tbh, the netcode reminds me of Halo in more ways than one, leading shots onto huge hitboxes. I'd suggest at least getting the demo and giving it a try.

paladin
February 24th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Play COD4 and 5, the flaws and glitches are parallel with Halo 3. Youll find yourself yelling "I hate you Bungie" and "Nice job bungie, fail" while playing...

p0lar_bear
February 24th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Havok physics at their best werst.