PDA

View Full Version : MG-57 heavy machine gun (WIP)

rossmum
October 2nd, 2006, 02:52 AM
This is a Halo-ified .50 cal version of the famed MG-42 I'm working on for a map me and Firedragon are working on... it draws rather heavily on a few guns for inspiration as you can see (M6 pistol for the muzzle, H2 MG for the barrel shroud and basic outline, MG-42 inspired action, sights and top cover, and an S2-like stock), right now I'm just adjusting, adding details, and then I have to make the tripod assembly. Think of it similar to a beefed-up, recoiling, bullet-dropping, overheating Warthog gun with a longer range and you're getting there ;) So far it's definitely going to be used as a mounted weapon with the tripod jacked up on sandbags, boxes, etc. with a first-person view (hence the detail), but I'm vaguely considering making it a portable turret that can't be fired while you carry it, and it will slow you down a lot. Still hazy on the details, and it might not happen because as far as I know you can't pick a deployed turret back up.

Anyways, enough chat, onto the pics:

(yes, I know the wires are wtf. I'm working on it, k?)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57fp.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg572.jpg

After I scaled up and shortened the drum at Snaf's insistence:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57biggerdrum.jpg

Right now I'm working on some more practical yet still MG-42-esque sights and a tripod, as well as cleaning what I can. Model stands at 3467 triangles so far.

Btd69
October 2nd, 2006, 03:01 AM
Looking ok. Rather than offend you here, i'll catch you on AIM :)

legionaire45
October 2nd, 2006, 03:04 AM
nice looking! keep it up!

rossmum
October 2nd, 2006, 03:43 AM
Ok, minor update. So far I've widened the aperture on the rear sight and narrowed the front blade a bit, giving a better view and also reflecting more accurately upon the cone of fire of the weapon. I also added a further pair of adjustment wheels slotted in horizontally stacked one above the other, and a spring and pin assembly for adjusting the sight. It's still being worked on and nothing's final, so rather than more pics you'll have to rely on a description for now. Basically the sight arm has a little pin in the centre which runs down into the adjustment assembly, and the shaft of the pin is encased in a small spring. I have no idea how that's meant to work, I just liked the idea so I went with it. Spring will simply be textured onto a cylinder with transparency in the gaps so you can see the pin, to save polies.

MetKiller Joe
October 2nd, 2006, 07:03 AM
Looks really good rossmum. Are planning it for in game or just rendering?

Either way awesome job:cool::worship:.

Elite Killa
October 2nd, 2006, 07:35 AM
Damn, rossmum, that looks slick! You and TheGhost are my holy gods!:worship:

Btd69
October 2nd, 2006, 07:40 AM
Put on it what I said to put on it...

Emmzee
October 2nd, 2006, 07:47 AM
Looks pretty good.

Agamemnon
October 2nd, 2006, 07:47 AM
Looks F.E.A.R.-ish really. Still like it though.

Nic
October 2nd, 2006, 08:09 AM
Come a long way since the concept drwaings.

Looks secksy though.

rossmum
October 2nd, 2006, 09:11 AM
Looks really good rossmum. Are planning it for in game or just rendering?

Either way awesome job:cool::worship:.
Ingame.

Put on it what I said to put on it...
I'm just thinking where to put it, I don't want it on the top cover.

Looks F.E.A.R.-ish really. Still like it though.
Orly? Thanks ;)

Come a long way since the concept drwaings.

Looks secksy though.
Heh, that's what I'm modeling off of :p

I love the multi-quote button.

PlasbianX
October 2nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
Why do i get the feeling Ace0fSpades designed this?

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
October 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM
Look's really good, btw you got any of the weapons/vehicles for evo? I need 'em since im the only active (for the most part) animator.

Looks F.E.A.R.-ish really. Still like it though.You know what we need? The guass rifle (I know it isn't called that, but it's what I call it) from F.E.A.R. That would be the best weapon in the world.

Agamemnon
October 2nd, 2006, 05:58 PM
Yes indeed. That rifle should be a prime example to Bungie as to how the AR/SMG shouldn't be some throw away weapon. As a matter of fact, that rifle is the most all-around balanced weapon of that game; just about everyone chooses to spawn with it.

PenGuin1362
October 2nd, 2006, 07:38 PM
it's a nice concept but it seems a little lacking in detail

Reaper Man
October 3rd, 2006, 05:25 AM
yay for using my idea of a pneumatic shock absorber. :D i r a genius

rossmum
October 3rd, 2006, 07:05 AM
Why do i get the feeling Ace0fSpades designed this?
I took some inspiration from both the MA2C and the M6C/D for the muzzle. He has nothing more than that to do with this model, though. I designed and modeled the whole lot myself with a few tips from Snaf.

Look's really good, btw you got any of the weapons/vehicles for evo? I need 'em since im the only active (for the most part) animator.

You know what we need? The guass rifle (I know it isn't called that, but it's what I call it) from F.E.A.R. That would be the best weapon in the world.
I haven't had a chance to start any of the Evo models yet, I'll get round to them when I can. Also, I've only played the SP demo, so I have no clue what you're talking about :confused2:

Yes indeed. That rifle should be a prime example to Bungie as to how the AR/SMG shouldn't be some throw away weapon. As a matter of fact, that rifle is the most all-around balanced weapon of that game; just about everyone chooses to spawn with it.
The AR is actually quite a useful weapon, I use it a lot (especially in combination with a shotgun, pistol or rocket launcher). It's devastating against an unshielded foe at close and medium range making it perfect for slaying Covenant, Flood and Sentinels alike, and as far as multiplayer goes it makes an excellent room clearer. Throw in a frag to drop their shields, and charge in firing. Never fails ;) Almost, anyway. Also dropping their shields with the pistol, switching and blasting away with the AR works a treat at medium range.

The AR can actually be quite useful and is accurate enough when used wisely- it just seems that most people don't give it a chance.

it's a nice concept but it seems a little lacking in detail
Working on that now. Any ideas? I want to keep the look of it, but add some details. I was going to have vents along the side of the barrel shroud, but due to polycount issues it'd probably be better and a lot less time consuming to simply skin them on.

I'm debating on whether to add a carry handle or not (M60 style) to it, though the way I intend for it to be carried slung over the shoulder and being held by the folded tripod doesn't really call for one...

yay for using my idea of a pneumatic shock absorber. :D i r a genius
WoL had that idea ages before you, ph00l :p

Emmzee
October 3rd, 2006, 07:45 AM
Awesome work. Now make a MAC10 plz.

rossmum
October 3rd, 2006, 08:00 AM
I made a customised 11 ages ago but it was suck modeled (splined). Besides, that gun is one ugly sonofabitch.

Btd69
October 3rd, 2006, 08:33 AM
Remember what I said - you send me a proper UVW map, i'll send you a proper skin.

rossmum
October 3rd, 2006, 10:39 AM
The UVW is Reaper's job, I have no fucking clue what to do. :D

mined
October 3rd, 2006, 10:52 AM
The weapon is looking good rossmum. I particularly like the way the barrel hand guard casing completely boxes the barrel in. It gives the weapon a very powerful feel.

rossmum
October 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Hehehe, I'd hope so for what is essentially a futuristic, slower-firing .50 cal MG-42 :p

I'll have to try find some really good sounds for it to match the powerful look and 'feel' of the final weapon.

PenGuin1362
October 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM
Working on that now. Any ideas? I want to keep the look of it, but add some details. I was going to have vents along the side of the barrel shroud, but due to polycount issues it'd probably be better and a lot less time consuming to simply skin them on.

I'm debating on whether to add a carry handle or not (M60 style) to it, though the way I intend for it to be carried slung over the shoulder and being held by the folded tripod doesn't really call for one...

well lets see.. try maybe a more distinctive foregrip some airvents would work good. maybe an integrated bipod and maybe just some random details to make it look cool

Cortexian
October 3rd, 2006, 02:26 PM
Wow, very nice. I would really like to get that gun into my map (revolution, name may change), Once my map is modeled that is >_>...

MALadjusted
October 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
:cool: coool man, I like

Btd69
October 3rd, 2006, 08:59 PM
Wow, very nice. I would really like to get that gun into my map (revolution, name may change), Once my map is modeled that is >_>...

*shrugs* You asked both me and WoL.. so I don't know who's doing it.. although he probably would do a better job, from those reference pics anyway.

Cortexian
October 3rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
You said you were busy, and I know WoL is always busy >_> He said he was going to revise the design and show me it sometime... hasn't got back to me yet though :(

mR_r0b0to
October 3rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
looks awesome. :p
use max.

rossmum
October 3rd, 2006, 11:20 PM
well lets see.. try maybe a more distinctive foregrip some airvents would work good. maybe an integrated bipod and maybe just some random details to make it look cool
The air vents will probably be skinned on as with the tripod it'll probably be like 4-5,000 polies. The bipod was initially under consideration until I decided that a bipod on a .50-cal MG which would be mounted on a tripod anyway would be rather redundant.

I'll try get some more work done later on it, I only woke up an hour ago (just after 1PM, lolol), so I'm still whoring up forums. :D

Teroh
October 4th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Very nice. Maybe an ironsight zoom? ;)

rossmum
October 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM
If I can get it to work.

DoD finally got here, so I'm likely to be spending a LOT of time on that. Oh, and Nic, I might take you up on that offer - it seems 8 months without playing have been rather detrimental to my skills =/

PenGuin1362
October 4th, 2006, 02:35 PM
iron sight zoom is very simple, im me if you need some help with it. or what's more realistic and kinda cool is just animate aiming but it won't zoom doing that : (

rossmum
October 5th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure which I want more... 3D sights which look better or 2D sights which zoom but look awkward in certain lighting. =/

Btd69
October 5th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Because it doesn't have a scope, I'd suggest making a animated zoom through the sights, it'd look better IMO.

rossmum
October 5th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Probably.

Dad's on a conference call which means a forced break from DoD :( but I'll try get some more stuff done. Also I'm going to think of how I can add details and maybe also a round counter, depending whether I can add a practical one that doesn't crap up the weapon's appearance. Tripod might get done tomorrow though DoD is highly addictive so don't quote me on that.

"Uh, yeah, I'm... researching the MG42 so I can use more of its design eleme-" *gets shot*

:D

Also, if anyone knows for sure whether deploying and then picking up a turret can be at all done with the Halo engine, I need to know for absolute certain, because if there's a way to drop this and then move it it'd be great to do :)

Master Chief
October 5th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Why do I get the feeling that u got the idea from my post Allies VS Axis?

rossmum
October 5th, 2006, 09:26 AM
No, I've had this idea for like 6 months... as Reaper can attest to...

PenGuin1362
October 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
yea that's easy. you can carry it drop it and use it as a vehicle but you can't pick it up again. well in a sense you can. play around with it a bit but yea you can carry and drop.

rossmum
October 5th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Carry and drop I've seen done, it's the carry, drop and pick up that I'd love to do if it would work at all.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
October 5th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Scripting? Where you press Q (?) and then the vehicle of the weapon gets destroyed and the weapon of the weapon is created there and you can pick it up again.

Nic
October 6th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Why do I get the feeling that u got the idea from my post Allies VS Axis?
Twas before hen he and Matt started their new map.

He showed me some concept images.

rossmum
October 6th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Scripting? Where you press Q (?) and then the vehicle of the weapon gets destroyed and the weapon of the weapon is created there and you can pick it up again.
Maybe, I wouldn't know. Can someone test that for me?

PenGuin1362
October 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM
that could work

or i think i have a way that could i'll have to test it out sometime. it's pretty easy to pick it up again it's just a matter of how you get it to destroy.

itszutak
October 7th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I just had an idea for ironsights:

Make the secondary trigger's shooting animation looking down the ironsight.

would it work? >_>

rossmum
October 7th, 2006, 07:18 PM
You could probably use the zoom function. Probably.

PenGuin1362
October 7th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I just had an idea for ironsights:

Make the secondary trigger's shooting animation looking down the ironsight.

would it work? >_>

been done many times

if you want it to zoom scope mask is the best...the only way actualy. just aiming it'd be better to do a secondary animation to have it look down the sights

rossmum
October 8th, 2006, 03:01 AM
As you couldn't use grenades anyway I may stick with that and if possible give it a slight accuracy boost.

Also, with a FP vehicle (turret), you can do all reloading animations, overheat effects, that sort of stuff, right?

[EDIT]: New pics, because I can... ignore the crappy skinning job, it's just something VERY temporary (not even UVW'd yet, either) to look better than just plain colours. I also wanted to get some idea of the colours of the final weapon, they're subject to change but getting there.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg571.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg572-1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg573.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg574.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg575.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg576.jpg

rossmum
October 8th, 2006, 12:43 PM
*poke*

Don't kill me! It wouldn't edit the original title so I had to grab your attention somehow... :p

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
October 8th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I want that in my map. :)

rossmum
October 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Mmmmmmmmmb.

:p

I'm going to try and make something similar to an M2 tripod, wish me luck.

SnaFuBAR
October 8th, 2006, 01:20 PM
dropping by to see how you're doing on the weapon. looks like you need DETAILS at the front of the weapon. forgot how i said do to holes?

at the moment, the most detailed part of the weapon is the flip open cover. try to balance your details.

rossmum
October 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I was going to model the holes in but what with a folding tripod still to go, and then some stuff to add after, I don't want to go too high polycount-wise... Meh, I'll do some holes maybe and see how many it adds. If it's over say 8,000 by the time I'm done, I'll just skin them on instead.

SnaFuBAR
October 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM
who says you have to do an bunch of them?? mb one line down the top, or a few on the sides. i'm just saying you're lacking detail on most of the weapon.

FireDragon04
October 8th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Swwwweeet gun. I like it alot!

rossmum
October 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM
who says you have to do an bunch of them?? mb one line down the top, or a few on the sides. i'm just saying you're lacking detail on most of the weapon.
2, maybe 3 long, narrow ones down the sides, maybe a shorter one or two up top. Probably need to work out some sort of barrel change system too.

[edit]: I know it looks awful - the side holes are meant to be equal in size - but it's 5AM here, and I'm off to bed. This is just a quick idea.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/holesmb.jpg

SnaFuBAR
October 8th, 2006, 02:41 PM
see? just imagine those black. better detailing already. keep at it. why not try and angle them, see if you can get a different look.

mined
October 8th, 2006, 04:54 PM
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3050/weaponky5.jpg
If you need some inspiration, mb something along these lines?

Emmzee
October 8th, 2006, 05:16 PM
That is so sexy.

SnaFuBAR
October 8th, 2006, 07:47 PM
damn, mined read my mind.

rossmum
October 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I'll start on the holes a bit later :D

Then I just have the tripod and minor detailing, some work on the inside of the loading cover and around the bolt, and it's done.

mined
October 8th, 2006, 09:40 PM
damn, mined read my mind.

Thats cause we're both design majors...:D

Rossmum, lets do a trade...your weapon for my vehicle?

rossmum
October 8th, 2006, 09:45 PM
:D Sounds like a plan.

Can anyone get me some really good refs of an M2 tripod they use to mount M2HBs and M60s on? I only have one, and it's being annoying.

mined
October 8th, 2006, 09:51 PM
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m60-mg.jpg
^You probably have this one.
http://www.olive-drab.com/images/m240_mtws_375.jpg
Heres a view of one with M240G (fun to fire btw)

rossmum
October 8th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Hmmm, I think I can see what I'll do now. I won't make it exactly like that; I want my one to fold down straight so that when you carry an undeployed MG it's slung over your shoulder resting on its balance point, with you holding the folded tripod. I might actually work a bit on it now and save DoD for later today.

mined
October 8th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Sounds like you want a bi-pod:http://world.guns.ru/machine/m60.jpg

rossmum
October 8th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Not for this monster. Definitely a folding tripod. :D

I've seen how much an MG42 will recoil sitting on a bipod, so I can imagine a .50 cal version would be somewhat painful to shoot...

[edit]: Bah, I give up on the tripod for now. I'll work on it last, probably.

Master Chief
October 9th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Holy crap, that gun looks SICK!!!! (in the good way lol) anyway, with the previous weapon look from mined, that would really go with the gun itself

SnaFuBAR
October 9th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Thats cause we're both design majors...:D

:XD: <3

Emmzee
October 9th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Make a para.

rossmum
October 11th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Make a para.
Ew, that thing is ugly.

Btd69
October 11th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Ew, that thing is ugly.

NO U R

Rescudo
October 11th, 2006, 07:40 AM
NO U R

I love how that post fits with your signature. :D

rossmum
October 11th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I love how that post fits with your signature. :D
OH SNAP!

If anything I'd finish the M1903 I started, or make an MG42 or M60.

Cortexian
October 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
You should make a decent XM8 Model >_>

PenGuin1362
October 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM
You should make a decent XM8 Model >_>

meh the m8 has been overdone now

rossmum
October 12th, 2006, 11:16 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57holes.jpg
Might add a slight chamfer to two opposite corners of each vent. Discuss. (Weird edges won't go away, I'll worry about that later.)

FireDragon04
October 12th, 2006, 11:43 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57holes.jpg
Might add a slight chamfer to two opposite corners of each vent. Discuss. (Weird edges won't go away, I'll worry about that later.)

Lookin sweet dude! SWWWWEEEETT!

mined
October 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Looking good!

rossmum
October 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I dunno how much work I'll get done today (just past 4AM), but it's getting there. Might start tagging soon.

Cortexian
October 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Look like something from Battlefield 2142 :)

rossmum
October 13th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Ok, as the tripod is still annoying me, I'm going to start tagging it now. Any help with the whole "portable turret" thing would be great ;) What would be really helpful is if someone could tag up a regular sort of portable MG turret then send me the tags so I could change the range, rate of fire, accuracy, all that stuff, the things I can do without getting confused.

I'm usually one for open-sourcing but given the state of the CE community, this is staying rip-protected and only being distributed amongst a select few people who I trust and know fairly well (as far as knowing people on the interweb goes, anyway). I just don't want to see it get absolutely raped by people I don't know/like and put in Craptigo City Beta 803.7. And before anybody starts asking, I'm warning you now that I already know who will and won't be getting it so if you do get told you can't have it, don't take it personally (unless you're SVC, llama, or someone else like that), it just means I don't really know you and so don't feel entirely confident giving you my bab- I mean, machine gun.

GAH - EDIT - The tagging shits me. I'm used to regular weapons, not turrets. I need some SERIOUS help.
:suicide:
I can do the projectiles and damage and that sort of stuff - no problems there - but the weapon tag itself scares me as far as a turret goes. Help pl0x :confused2:

Nic
October 13th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Oh noes rossy in a rutt.
Get the new burgers at Jack in the Box.

But anyways, good luck and I hope someone knows how to tag a turret here...

Cortexian
October 13th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I thought this was a reg weapon, not a turret! Make it a reg hand held weap!

Rescudo
October 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I wonder if this would fit for my map... ;)
It's looking good.

rossmum
October 13th, 2006, 12:14 PM
I thought this was a reg weapon, not a turret! Make it a reg hand held weap!
I can't see a regular Marine firing a 10-15kg, .50 calibre machine gun at around 1,200 rounds per minute without serious personal injury... beats me as to why... ;)

mined
October 13th, 2006, 12:54 PM
DO it Aliens 2 style where the Marine wears a flexible support brace to bear the load of the weapon he carries.

rossmum
October 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM
They were going to do something rather like that for the BAR, I was reading about it today. It just wouldn't look right, though. =/

I want to keep it as a portable MG that can only be fired when deployed on its tripod. Too whorey otherwise, Halo has enough spray & pray without that.

Cortexian
October 13th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Your going to make it so that we have to... Click to deploy tripod, click again for firing, right click to retract bipod mb?

Thats fine, I thought you meant stationary tripod >_<... whoops.

rossmum
October 13th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Ewwww, stationary. Maybe a few stationary ones set up overlooking the beach, but portable ones too.

Anyone with Day of Defeat Source should check out dod_strand_b4. It wins as far as beach invasion maps go (I've actually been in those sorts of bunkers all through Normandy as a kid).

rossmum
October 14th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Sup poll.

falconsfootball07
October 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM
i say 350rpm, you dont want it to be a noob gun now do you

rossmum
October 14th, 2006, 12:56 PM
That's why it has the overheat. I trialled something similar on the Hog and it worked pretty well - the average noob/fanboy (same difference, really) would come up to it thinking, 'OH SWEET, A MACHINE GUN!' then promptly let rip with it. Kill one or two people, aim for some more...

Click.

(:<

Ideally I want it to function similar to the DoD:S MG42. Powerful, high rate of fire, long range, moderate accuracy, overheat. Good for keeping an enemy's heads down if you can manage the excess heat, and good for mowing a couple down, but kept reasonable by the overheating.

In other news: Yesterday I had to redraw every face on the left side of the gun to get rid of some stupid face cutting across the muzzle which refused to go away. While I was at it I deleted the seams and cleaned it a bit. :)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57holesonoes.jpg
Ew.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57holes1.jpg
Yay!

mined
October 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I voted for 1,200 bu, imo, on one condition.

You should make the overheat animations so that they rotate the primary trigger in a wild manner. At the same time make random ejection holes appear out of the barrel casing. That way it simulates a realistic melt down of the barrel...I have seen this happen to a real .50 cal door gun. The crewchief was holding the butterfly trigger down relentlessly. His barrel overheated to the point that a round was able to porpoise half-way down the rifling before it ejected out of the top of the barrel. Fortunately, no hole was found in the rotor blades above but the gun barrel was toast. It was eventually mounted on a wall at the squadron to show what a negligent gun operator could do.

To make this real, though, the weapon would have to be disabled after it overheated. This would force the user to fire in bursts.

rossmum
October 14th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Well, I could do that, but it would be harder and also the poor wee nub would get owned :( So, as it is a futuristic gun, I can make some sort of automatic anti-barrel-melt system which disables the weapon long enough for it to cool off some, like the plasma weapons the Covenant use. Like the DoD MG42, you'll be able to tell when you're getting close by the amount of steam coming off the barrel shroud (and in this case out the vents).

mined
October 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Sounds cool then!

:cool:

rossmum
October 14th, 2006, 01:27 PM
The general idea:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/Untitled-1copy-1.jpg

Hopefully it'll look better ingame. :p

Agamemnon
October 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Hopefully. :p

Lookin' good in TheGhost's neighborhood.

ImSpartacus
October 14th, 2006, 03:16 PM
wow, im impressed rossmum, i didnt kno u made weapons this cool.

i think there should be not only a tripod version, but also a hog version. id like to see a different ammo storage method (that little drum would look terrible on a hog) that could realistically hold an 'unlimited' supply of rounds.

the tripod version seems to be going well, i like the drum, its suits it very well and makes it look FEARish. the overall body of the gun (not sure wat to call it, that thing that covers the barrel) looks very nice boxy. its adds yet another FEar element to the weapon.

im glad your puting a poll up for firing rate, rather than having a messy debate with 10 different rates being thrown around. I chose 305, but id like to see some of the strengh stay, and have the time to overheat increase proportionatly

that would allow ppl to pick there shots and put just a few of those big .50 cal ro into a target so they can conserve ammo

but that firing rate would be good only for the tri pod version, if u make a hog version, id like to see a slight increase in firing rate, a decrease in the time it takes to overheat, and possibly a slight increase in strength

Emmzee
October 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Most pow-ah!

rossmum
October 15th, 2006, 03:49 AM
If worst comes to worst and there's a tie or something on the poll, I'll just release the two versions. Actually, I might release all 3, but I'll leave the poll up so I can get an idea of the amount of demand for each.

School starts again for me tomorrow, so I won't have much time to work on this, but I'll definitely try and get it done ASAP. Just the tripod, some details, and some work on the action to do.

Rescudo
October 15th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I say something in the range of ~950rpm, 'cause I think 1200rpm would be slightly too fast. But on the poll, I voted ~1200rpm.

rossmum
October 16th, 2006, 01:19 AM
For reference, the AR is about 900.

Rescudo
October 16th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Really? I thought AR was about 600.

If that is so, then I say definitely 1200rpm.

rossmum
October 16th, 2006, 07:58 AM
15rps x 60s = 900rpm. The Hog's peaks at that as well but starts out lower so unless you sit there constantly burping up rounds, it hangs around 650-750.

Also, once I finish this I plan on making twin-mounted MG-57s, possibly with a searchlight sitting on the mount between them. I'll have to plan the mounting out later - where the guns would go, where they would attach, the shape, size, location and appearance of the light, positioning of the ammunition cans, etc. The twin mount will probably find its way onto the landing craft scattered out to sea and washed up on the waterline, and I might POSSIBLY include a heavily modified rebel-captured Hog with a pair on the back.

Also under consideration is a rebel AA battery up behind the rebel fortifications, effective against massed infantry or stolen vehicles but not much else. I dunno though, that one's only a maybe.

If anyone has some ideas for the double mount, I'd be glad to see them posted here :)

rossmum
October 18th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Hey guys, quick update. I've decided to pull a mined and hold a skinning contest for this thing. Be creative, make it unique, but keep the Halo feel to it as much as you can. I'll give you all the UVs when it's at that stage, and you can all try your hand at it. The skin I like best will be used on the final, ingame version. One person may submit multiple attempts.

I'm detailing the top cover right now, then I might make a chamber of sorts (possibly), then tripod. THEN DONE :D

...I hope.

Btd69
October 18th, 2006, 06:39 AM
So 2 months or 3? :P

rossmum
October 18th, 2006, 06:44 AM
I just finished the top cover.

Bitch.

:p

Btd69
October 18th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Oh ok. So when do you plan to start the rest of the gun?

rossmum
October 18th, 2006, 06:47 AM
>:U

I'm gonna start on the tripod this weekend, at the latest. Probably sooner.

Lolwoot.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57topcoveropen.jpg

mR_r0b0to
October 18th, 2006, 07:30 AM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4319/gunlolkq3.jpg

rossmum
October 18th, 2006, 08:02 AM
You could've told me without burning my retinas out... :p

Smoothing. Fixed.

ImSpartacus
October 19th, 2006, 12:49 PM
oh my sweet jesus thats scary, take it off, take it off, ahhh

ImSpartacus
October 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
15rps x 60s = 900rpm. The Hog's peaks at that as well but starts out lower so unless you sit there constantly burping up rounds, it hangs around 650-750.

Also, once I finish this I plan on making twin-mounted MG-57s, possibly with a searchlight sitting on the mount between them. I'll have to plan the mounting out later - where the guns would go, where they would attach, the shape, size, location and appearance of the light, positioning of the ammunition cans, etc. The twin mount will probably find its way onto the landing craft scattered out to sea and washed up on the waterline, and I might POSSIBLY include a heavily modified rebel-captured Hog with a pair on the back.

Also under consideration is a rebel AA battery up behind the rebel fortifications, effective against massed infantry or stolen vehicles but not much else. I dunno though, that one's only a maybe.

If anyone has some ideas for the double mount, I'd be glad to see them posted here :)

omfg, that would be absolutely 1337

u have to make a hog with a dual config, and i wouldve neevr thought of some kind of light on the back, im curious to see wat u do with that.

i cant see these being heavy aa guns, maybe for something banshee sized, and a pelican might be pushin it, but these dont seem like aa guns to me. just my unhumble advise ,)

rossmum
October 19th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I wasn't planning on these for AA guns (though they're .50 cal so they'd be useful against low-flying craft). The AA battery will probably be like quad 20mm automatic cannons or something.

ImSpartacus
October 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I wasn't planning on these for AA guns (though they're .50 cal so they'd be useful against low-flying craft). The AA battery will probably be like quad 20mm automatic cannons or something.

yeah, that seems a little more logical, but are u making all of these weapons for some map? im a little new to this forum so i havent been able to keep up with the times, sry.

rossmum
October 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah, me and FireDragon04 are working on an invasion map. Think Zanzibar crossed with D-Day.

ImSpartacus
October 21st, 2006, 12:30 PM
hmm, so an african savanah amphibious invasion? riiiiiight

wat kind of naval vehicles do u have planned? any air vehicles? im sure youll have a couple bunkers, this mg-57 thing would be perfect for that kind of a map, u could mount it on some small boats, hogs, in bunker, maybe even on some custom air vehicles.

rossmum
October 21st, 2006, 11:34 PM
No air vehicles. Air vehicles don't work that well in Halo, and they always get whored. If anything, crashed air vehicles, maybe Pelicans and/or Hoplites flying over the beach (with the Pelican dropping supplies if possible), but none you can drive. The landing craft will resemble the troop bay of a Pelican, and will have a pair of MG-57 twin mounted next to the driver's compartment, but they won't be driveable either. There will be blown up vehicles all over the battlefield for cover and to help build the frantic, D-Day like atmosphere, but the only ones that players can utilise will be mounted MG-57s, AA guns, and maybe - MAYBE - a single Scorpion tank. I don't want this map turning into a vehicle whore's paradise.

Basically the invasion takes place on a far-flung human colony which is under the control of rebel forces. The UNSC Marines have staged an airborne landing on a small, out-of-the-way island, and have massed their forces in preparation for an assault on the beaches nearby. Supplies have been shipped in from the remaining UNSC strongholds, including landing craft, vehicles, weaponry and other equipment. The invasion takes place in absolutely revolting weather just after first light, just like D-Day, and the UNSC forces are met with heavy artillery fire (hence the random explosions all along the landing area). Also, the beach is littered with mines (yes, they will blow up and kill you when you step on them). As well as that, the section of beach they are landing on is boxed in on 3 sides by towering sea walls (this is where the Zanzibar aspect comes in; however, these sea walls are better adapted to defending the beach). The rebel forces have set up heavy defenses all along the beach and the first few assault waves are absolutely hacked to pieces (hence all the dead vehicles, dropped weapons and Marine corpses that will litter the beach).

Basically one team's objective is to get up off the beach, clear out the bunkers, and advance back along a muddy gully bordered by dense scrub, bringing them to a structure set into the steep, rolling hills and low ridges at the back of the map. Their flag will be on the beach - but rather than a standard Halo flag, I'm thinking of some sort of credible objective like a code machine or radio.

The other team's 'flag' (again, a military objective) will be deep inside their structure (there may or may not be an elevator to a deep chamber with it inside; it depends how much time me, FireDragon and Reaper can put into this). Their objective is simply to try and contain the advancing UNSC forces on the beach.

As you will play as either a Marine or a rebel in this map (they'll both look the same anyway, thanks to Halo's inability to have team-based biped permutations), there will be either little or no HUD. Ammo reserves are, except in the case of weapons with a display, by guess. Reload often. If I'm generous, I may add the unarmed crosshair so that it's easier to aim; however I'd much prefer just to have no crosshair at all (could just be my ability to aim by instinct, but hey, it's not hard to play without a crosshair in Halo). Health meter? Nope. If I can I'll try find a way to give hints as to health without spoiling the realism - also I hope to include regional damage and/or mutilation (hit in the legs slows you down, enough hits in the arms make you drop your gun, standing on a mine might blow your legs off if I can get it to work in MP). My usual screen flash/shellshock effects will be added and improved over those in my PC mods, there will be bullet drop, recoil, longer-lasting decals, stuff will be reskinned to make it look dirty, all the stuff you'd expect from a realism freak. I might draw up some more concepts and show you guys later.

rossmum
October 22nd, 2006, 10:01 AM
Quick update - after a long and very easily derailed chat with Snaf on AIM about modeling the inner workings visible from the feedway, I decided to just go with the MG42 system rather than my dodgy and completely illogical one. So I was then pissed off that I'd have to redo a good portion of the gun... until I fired up DoD and reloaded the MG42 in that. Why?

They cheated and did it all in 2D, but it still looked good. I'll be doing the same.

Emmzee
October 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Awesome.

Rescudo
October 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Half of that I didn't understand, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. =D

mR_r0b0to
October 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
You could've told me without burning my retinas out... :p

Smoothing. Fixed.

i'm sowwy :rolleyes:

ImSpartacus
October 22nd, 2006, 10:00 PM
No air vehicles. Air vehicles don't work that well in Halo, and they always get whored. If anything, crashed air vehicles, maybe Pelicans and/or Hoplites flying over the beach (with the Pelican dropping supplies if possible), but none you can drive. The landing craft will resemble the troop bay of a Pelican, and will have a pair of MG-57 twin mounted next to the driver's compartment, but they won't be driveable either. There will be blown up vehicles all over the battlefield for cover and to help build the frantic, D-Day like atmosphere, but the only ones that players can utilise will be mounted MG-57s, AA guns, and maybe - MAYBE - a single Scorpion tank. I don't want this map turning into a vehicle whore's paradise.

Basically the invasion takes place on a far-flung human colony which is under the control of rebel forces. The UNSC Marines have staged an airborne landing on a small, out-of-the-way island, and have massed their forces in preparation for an assault on the beaches nearby. Supplies have been shipped in from the remaining UNSC strongholds, including landing craft, vehicles, weaponry and other equipment. The invasion takes place in absolutely revolting weather just after first light, just like D-Day, and the UNSC forces are met with heavy artillery fire (hence the random explosions all along the landing area). Also, the beach is littered with mines (yes, they will blow up and kill you when you step on them). As well as that, the section of beach they are landing on is boxed in on 3 sides by towering sea walls (this is where the Zanzibar aspect comes in; however, these sea walls are better adapted to defending the beach). The rebel forces have set up heavy defenses all along the beach and the first few assault waves are absolutely hacked to pieces (hence all the dead vehicles, dropped weapons and Marine corpses that will litter the beach).

Basically one team's objective is to get up off the beach, clear out the bunkers, and advance back along a muddy gully bordered by dense scrub, bringing them to a structure set into the steep, rolling hills and low ridges at the back of the map. Their flag will be on the beach - but rather than a standard Halo flag, I'm thinking of some sort of credible objective like a code machine or radio.

The other team's 'flag' (again, a military objective) will be deep inside their structure (there may or may not be an elevator to a deep chamber with it inside; it depends how much time me, FireDragon and Reaper can put into this). Their objective is simply to try and contain the advancing UNSC forces on the beach.

As you will play as either a Marine or a rebel in this map (they'll both look the same anyway, thanks to Halo's inability to have team-based biped permutations), there will be either little or no HUD. Ammo reserves are, except in the case of weapons with a display, by guess. Reload often. If I'm generous, I may add the unarmed crosshair so that it's easier to aim; however I'd much prefer just to have no crosshair at all (could just be my ability to aim by instinct, but hey, it's not hard to play without a crosshair in Halo). Health meter? Nope. If I can I'll try find a way to give hints as to health without spoiling the realism - also I hope to include regional damage and/or mutilation (hit in the legs slows you down, enough hits in the arms make you drop your gun, standing on a mine might blow your legs off if I can get it to work in MP). My usual screen flash/shellshock effects will be added and improved over those in my PC mods, there will be bullet drop, recoil, longer-lasting decals, stuff will be reskinned to make it look dirty, all the stuff you'd expect from a realism freak. I might draw up some more concepts and show you guys later.

jesus u have realism problems, but i guess thatll be one of the reasons thisll be a flippin awesome map

but one Q, will this be ww2 time, or halo time, and if its ha

Btd69
October 22nd, 2006, 10:57 PM
You say Basically at the start of sentences and paragraphs too much rossy :) Basically, it shows poor vocabulary.

SnaFuBAR
October 23rd, 2006, 12:44 AM
i would say to have the ROF about 650. this is more realistic for a heavy machine gun. after all, the browning m2 has a cap of 600 rpm. having a 1200 rpm rof would make it a super noob cannon. seriously, how many hits would it take from this thing to drop a player? certainly not enough to overheat it. let me find a good camping spot with that rediculous rof, and i won't overheat it once.

rossmum
October 23rd, 2006, 01:26 AM
jesus u have realism problems, but i guess thatll be one of the reasons thisll be a flippin awesome map

but one Q, will this be ww2 time, or halo time, and if its ha
A few decades before Halo, about 2517.

You say Basically at the start of sentences and paragraphs too much rossy :) Basically, it shows poor vocabulary.

Yeah, shut up. My vocab is fine until I try explain things in a hurry. :D

i would say to have the ROF about 650. this is more realistic for a heavy machine gun. after all, the browning m2 has a cap of 600 rpm. having a 1200 rpm rof would make it a super noob cannon. seriously, how many hits would it take from this thing to drop a player? certainly not enough to overheat it. let me find a good camping spot with that rediculous rof, and i won't overheat it once.

Well, I dunno for sure what I'll do for now. 650rpm does suit a .50 cal MG better, though being not only over half a millenium into the future but also based on the tried and true MG42 scaled up to .50 cal, it's fairly plausible that a well-designed .50 cal would be able to reach such a high rate of fire. To prevent whoring, the MG will turn comparatively slow due to its large, cumbersome nature (like the DoD MG42), will still recoil a little, will overheat after about 5-8 seconds of continuous fire and will then need to cool down for about the same before it can fire again - I was thinking of a barrel change animation to take up the time but it'd be too complex and currently the only way to remove the barrel is straight out the front - impractical much? Instead, the weapon's integrated heat management system will prevent it from firing for just long enough to avoid a barrel melt, but if you try and just let loose as soon as it cools it'll overheat again. Added to the immobility of the weapon when deployed, it should help make it a bit less whorey. Plus, you can always just shove your teammates out in front - if they get mown down, you know to find another way around the MG ;)

I always planned for the beach landing to be an absolute slaughter, however you will definitely be able to get off the beach and turn the tables. Just use the cover afforded by the wrecked vehicles and other obstacles to pick off the MGs, then advance. Watch your step though, or BOOM :XD:

Teroh
October 23rd, 2006, 10:55 PM
>:U

I'm gonna start on the tripod this weekend, at the latest. Probably sooner.

Lolwoot.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57topcoveropen.jpg
Looks good, but the ammo.. thing (green part) seems a little bit small, dontcha think? Looks like it could hold maybe 40 rounds.

rossmum
October 24th, 2006, 01:09 AM
It's curled around, probably more like 50-75. The mounted ones will just have a belt feeding up from a massive ammo box, the portables will have a drum.

Btd69
October 24th, 2006, 04:36 AM
It's curled around, probably more like 50-75. The mounted ones will just have a belt feeding up from a massive ammo box, the portables will have a drum.

In actual fact, it's the new 'Rossmumtech'. The bullets are made while inside the barrel, it's quite amazing. If you don't believe me, ask the tiny civilization making the bullets inside their prison that is the barrel.

rossmum
October 24th, 2006, 05:10 AM
LOL.

You win.

rossmum
November 5th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Ok guys, an update... I gotta do one last thing to the top cover, tweak the gun itself, narrow the grip so it isn't retardedly wide and then make the tripod, then it's done. Trying to find time has been hard so not much has been done as yet, but I hope to finish it soon-ish.

ImSpartacus
November 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
pictures maybe?

rossmum
November 6th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Not yet, still some stuff to do. Almost there though.

Btd69
November 6th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Tosser.

rossmum
November 6th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Get out.

mR_r0b0to
November 8th, 2006, 01:12 AM
NO U.

lol, done yet? :p

rossmum
November 8th, 2006, 02:26 AM
>_> No... I only work on it when I actually feel like modeling, but it won't be like another 2 or 3 months till it's done, so don't worry :p

rossmum
November 10th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Ok, you wanted pics... you'll get one.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57topcoverguide.jpg

See why I wasn't ready to show? A lot of the details will be in the skin, so that piece will look much better ingame.

Reaper Man
November 10th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Guh. I am not uving that ross, I'll fix up the fubared normals when I convert the file, but for the love of god, don't make me UV it.

rossmum
November 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM
k.

FluffyDucky™
November 13th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Looking good rossum, cant wait to see it in game. ;)

rossmum
November 13th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I fixed the grip... well, it looks less retardedly fat, in any case... just grabbin' me some pics, y'all.

[edit] - Got 'em.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg577.jpg
With top cover open. Note that the grip isn't a huge amount thinner than it was before, but at least now there's a discontinuity of sorts between it and the receiver, to give the illusion that it is better proportioned.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg578.jpg
Just for the sake of it ;)

Btd69
November 13th, 2006, 01:11 AM
How the hell is the MC gonna hold that thing man? Hopes and dreams only work in the movies.

rossmum
November 13th, 2006, 01:46 AM
MC won't be holding it, and in any case it's designed to be fired from a stabilised position (read - tripod). When the Marines carry it, they will have it slung over their shoulder on its balance point, whilst holding the folded tripod to keep it steady. Kinda like the MG42 guy in the DoD class icons.

Btd69
November 13th, 2006, 03:02 AM
DoD is terrible, so I wouldn't know. Got any pics?

rossmum
November 13th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I'll get a pic tomorrow, for some reason I can't find the pic on Google right now.

And for the record, DoD >>>>>>>> CS:S.

Agamemnon
November 13th, 2006, 05:55 PM
To be honest, anything>>>>>CS:S

Liking the updates. :hyper:

Btd69
November 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Get off my CS:S, I CAN'T HANDLE THE LIESFWFASMFAFF!@!@W!

mR_r0b0to
November 13th, 2006, 09:01 PM
CS1.6 FTW!

looking good :)

rossmum
November 14th, 2006, 02:58 AM
http://pix.nofrag.com/c0/9d/d4b10ab0c603724983d7842c9711t.jpg
Best I could find, after like 15 minutes of googling.

And all I got left to do is the tripod and mount, pretty much... by the way, to anyone hoping to skin it, that bulge on the left of the barrel shroud is the hinge to flip the top half open allowing for barrel changing. Won't be openable ingame though, because I don't feel like redoing the whole damn thing to allow a barrel change animation, as cool as that would undoubtedly be.

Btd69
November 14th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Is he wearing tights?

Reaper Man
November 14th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Hurry up with the mg ross, and I'll render-ify it ^__^

rossmum
November 14th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Is he wearing tights?
No, just excessively high boots.

Hurry up with the mg ross, and I'll render-ify it ^__^
Yeah, yeah. I'm getting it done as fast as I can. :rolleyes:

rossmum
December 14th, 2006, 05:34 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57ontripod-1.jpg

OH HI TRIPOD

WIP; got a lot to add. The tripod won't be the most detailed thing ever to save polies and precious time I could waste laying down some smack in DoD/working on top secret Evo shit, but I'll try get it looking alright.

Btd69
December 14th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Looking good, except for those terrible textures you have applied. Also the 'feet' need work. Possibly make them grip like, not like the MC sits on the gun and uses it as a sled like :)

rossmum
December 14th, 2006, 05:40 AM
I could go MG42 style and add little spikes on the end, but tbh you won't see a lot of the feet ingame so it'd be a waste. Flat ones were an option too, but in the end I just went with that design like the M1918A2 BAR bipod's feet.

Btd69
December 14th, 2006, 05:42 AM
I'd open up MAX and show you what I mean; but mummy already let me stay up 'till 10:30.. I have to go to bed now :( Plus she's reading me the end of The Teddy Bear Picnic. I hope Grandpa Bear hooks in with Teeny Bear!

mined
December 14th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Looking good, Rossmum.

rossmum
December 14th, 2006, 05:56 PM

No pics right now - posting from school and got kicked off the PC last night before I could update - but I connected the gun to the tripod with a ball joint. Basically the ball rotates in a socket on the tripod, and is held in place by a pin through the centre of both the ball and a pair of metal brackets on the gun's bottom. Pics in about 4 hours.

rossmum
December 14th, 2006, 11:23 PM
*pics*

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57ontripod-2.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57ontripod-3.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57ontripod-4.jpg

:ohsnap:

Just got the support struts for the tripod legs to do. Also, thinking of demoting it to a .30-06 or something to fix possibly crazy scaling issues.

mR_r0b0to
December 15th, 2006, 03:46 AM
oh snap.
teh pwn

EDIT: you need to get some decent renders... *coughReapercough* :)

rossmum
December 15th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Yeah, gonna bug him when he gets online :p

SgtBotley
December 15th, 2006, 06:56 AM
What Graphix package you use?

rossmum
December 15th, 2006, 07:07 AM
...Huh?

Reaper Man
December 15th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Boioioioing!

rossmum
December 15th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I shall go and prepare some excellent renders at this very instant!
Why thank you! :rolleyes:

mR_r0b0to
December 15th, 2006, 03:41 PM
...Huh?
i think he means if you use 3dsmax/gmax/maya etc.

Reaper Man saves the day!! :rolleyes:

Master Chief
December 15th, 2006, 04:30 PM
SFSG, give it another few mods, and it'll look sick!! BTW, what 3D's MAX thing do u use? (i got V9)

Btd69
December 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM
He uses Gmax, and most CE modders use 3ds max 8 as Blitzkreig isn't supported in 9.

rossmum
December 15th, 2006, 07:27 PM
^ What he said. If I used 3DS I would render them myself.

Pooky
December 15th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Looks nice... though I would love to see this as a portable weapon, unrealistic yes, impractical yes, but he's the chief. He deserves to be Rambo.

rossmum
December 15th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Won't be any Spartans in the map. Marines only.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57pose1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg57pose2.jpg

Yay for rudimentary posing and shitty temporary skins! :rolleyes:

RaVNzCRoFT
December 16th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Wow, Ross, that looks awesome! ;)

mR_r0b0to
December 16th, 2006, 10:08 AM
polycount pl0x

looks awesome

Pooky
December 16th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Oh, well with Marines it makes more sense. I'll miss the chief though =\

rossmum
December 16th, 2006, 06:02 PM
polycount pl0x

looks awesome
Gimme a minute... 4,968 triangles in its entirety. Should get rid of a fair few during cleaning.

Oh, well with Marines it makes more sense. I'll miss the chief though =\
Yeah, but you'll be too busy enjoying the map to miss him :D

Pooky
December 16th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Perhaps. What map's this slated to be in?

rossmum
December 17th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I think I posted a description ages ago on one of the other pages.

Pooky
December 17th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I must have missed it, but what's the name anyway?

Dole
December 17th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Hopefully those Marines are getting remodeled, right?

Pooky
December 17th, 2006, 07:19 PM
What's wrong with regular Halo Marines?

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
December 17th, 2006, 08:48 PM
What's wrong with regular Halo Marines?Waaaaaay to low poly.

rossmum
December 17th, 2006, 11:07 PM
I must have missed it, but what's the name anyway?
Still need to think of one :confused2:

Hopefully those Marines are getting remodeled, right?
Depends. If someone can model, skin, and tag new ones, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Pooky
December 18th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I can I can! Oh wait... no I can't. Meh, I still like regular Halo Marines, but the skin definitely needs to be redone. It would be odd to have everyone walking around looking like Sgt. Stacker

Reaper Man
December 18th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Oh crap, I forgot about rendering. I'll do it when I get home.

rossmum
December 18th, 2006, 08:23 PM
<3

Also, I wouldn't worry about them all looking like clones. Y HALLO THAR RANDOM PERMUTATIONS :)

Also thinking of modifying one of them to have BF2-style sniper camo and then making that biped a dedicated sniper (spawn with S2 and pistol)...

Pooky
December 18th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Interesting idea if you could pull it off, only problem is whoever spawns with a sniper will totally rape everyone else. Maybe if you modified some of the others too, so sometimes you would start with an Assault Rifle and Pistol, or sometimes with a Rocket Launcher, or a Needler with 400% shields permanent camo quadruple speed and super jump

rossmum
December 18th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking just a straight sniper/assualt division, perhaps divvy assualt up between shotgun and assault rifle. Anyone know if you can control the ratio of one biped to another?

Pooky
December 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/games/halo/audio/outtakes/stacker/marine_sodomy.mp3

PLEASE add this as a voice clip XD

rossmum
December 20th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Might just have to :p

rossmum
December 31st, 2006, 01:47 AM
HI

(click for lolhueger version)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/mg-57render.jpg (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/339398855_4aaf732644_o.jpg)
:)

This is going into Havoc, by the way.

Reaper Man
December 31st, 2006, 02:01 AM
:3

ExAm
December 31st, 2006, 01:50 PM
Also under consideration is a rebel AA battery
Done:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9105/rebelaabatterybh7.png

As you will play as either a Marine or a rebel in this map (they'll both look the same anyway, thanks to Halo's inability to have team-based biped permutations)Wrong. That feature's going into Ambush. I've been told it's due to rec0's hax.

rossmum
December 31st, 2006, 05:36 PM
Srsly? ZOMG! I must speak to rec0.

Also, lol @ battery.

mech
December 31st, 2006, 08:29 PM
I've been told it's due to rec0's hax.

Wrong :XD: :lol:

ExAm
December 31st, 2006, 09:49 PM
Well, that's what Penguin said to me. Ask him.

Pooky
December 31st, 2006, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by rossmum
As you will play as either a Marine or a rebel in this map (they'll both look the same anyway, thanks to Halo's inability to have team-based biped permutations)

But they could have l33t team colors, one team could be French,and the other team would be ASIAN.

The French would SO win.

TeeKup
December 31st, 2006, 11:03 PM
But they could have l33t team colors, one team could be French,and the other team would be ASIAN.

The French would SO win.
[/i]

I will kill you.

Pooky
December 31st, 2006, 11:04 PM
I will kill you. [/emo]

That's not very nice.

TeeKup
December 31st, 2006, 11:06 PM
lol. touche.

Seriously, French Vs Asian? Asians would win hand down with their giant robots of death!!! /Armored core reference.

Pooky
December 31st, 2006, 11:07 PM
But the French have... and they can... but...

Hell, you're right. Stupid Asians with their superior technology <.<

TeeKup
December 31st, 2006, 11:09 PM
But the French have... and they can... but...

Hell, you're right. Stupid Asians with their superior technology <.<

\m/ >.< \m/
http://rinien121832.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/wall_acn03_10240768.jpg

Pooky
December 31st, 2006, 11:17 PM
Whoa, is that a GAME, or some stupid anime? If it's a game I want it.

TeeKup
December 31st, 2006, 11:25 PM
Its a game. PS2 only.

EDIT: Oshi. Stupid tripod!!

rossmum
December 31st, 2006, 11:36 PM
Needs less offtopic.

And the French would lose by default, tbh. Only war they've ever won was- oh wait, nevermind. :D

Reaper might get some closeup renders, too. :O

ExAm
January 1st, 2007, 12:16 AM
Strike With Tripod Image For Massive Damage!!!!

lol. touche.

Seriously, French Vs Asian? Asians would win hand down with their giant robots of death!!! /Reference to countless games and anime.

Fixed.

Needs less offtopic.

And the French would lose by default, tbh. Only war they've ever won was- oh wait, nevermind. :D

Reaper might get some closeup renders, too. :O
OBJECTION: Napoleon (French) conquered most of europe!

Pooky
January 1st, 2007, 12:38 AM
Yeah, don't underestimate the French. Their bad reputation is more undeserved than Hitler's reputation for being German.

rossmum
January 1st, 2007, 04:42 AM
OBJECTION: Napoleon (French) conquered most of europe!
...Until, you know, he tried to attack Russia and got owned by the winter. Like the Germans in Stalingrad.

MORAL OF THE STORY: DON'T ATTACK RUSSIA. THEY HAVE CLIMATE HACKS.

Btd69
January 1st, 2007, 05:35 AM
They are noobs with guns though.

rossmum
January 1st, 2007, 05:52 AM
nuh uh they haev aimbotz as well, liek their snipers are liek totally ZOMG OWNED LOL HEADSHOT NOOB@!!!!11111 and the germans were liek oh noes wtf stupid haxxors u suk.

>_>

Ok, time for MOAR CEREAL MATTERS. Any volunteers to UVW this thing once it's done and cleaned up a little? Right now it's a bit of a... disaster zone, mesh-wise. :|