PDA

View Full Version : The Nintendo DSi.

CodeBrain
February 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM
A upgraded version of the DS Lite, the DSi has a large amount of pros, but also has the same amount of cons as well. Here is the list of pros and cons, from the sitemaster at http://www.dualscreenradio.com:

http://www.dualscreenradio.com/dsi.php

Also, this thread also tells the curious forumer that I got myself a DSi as well. Of course, being it from Japan, it's "locked language" is Japanese. No one is able to change it to another language. I also am getting another flashcard, a Acekard 2i, which is compatible with the DSi. Reason why, is because of the security upgrades, the regular flashcards do not work on DSi.

Personally, what do you think of the device? Do you hate it, or love it? Make a post, and take a vote. Let's see if the Modacity Forums likes it or not.

LlamaMaster
February 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'll say what the majority of people who see this thread are thinking: "Who cares?"

RobertGraham
February 24th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I'll say what the majority of people who see this thread are thinking: "Who cares?".

ultama121
February 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I think it looks quite awesome. I haven't got a DS lite... mb I'll get this. FFFFFFFUUU NO ENGLISH SUPPORT. (Awaits firmware hack)

LlamaMaster
February 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I think it looks quite awesome. I haven't got a DS lite... mb I'll get this. FFFFFFFUUU NO ENGLISH SUPPORT. (Awaits firmware hack)
What the fuck? You mean you STILL havn't learned Japanese? Heh, and here I thought you were a weeaboo...

For shame.

CodeBrain
February 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I should also say the release for the English one was for April 5th, at $169.99.

Japan had this since November. Play-Asia has them for $249.99 (I'm like wtf.) A couple other websites have the DSi as well, I didnt really check into it.

cheezdue
February 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I'm not so sure if this will be great. The cons kinda outweighs the pros of the DSi. I might stick to my DS lite.

t3h m00kz
February 25th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Seems pointless to me, really. The cameras kinda sparked an interest, as well as a built-in web browser, but if it's anything like the DS browser it's going to be slow as fuck and completely useless.

n00b1n8R
February 25th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I just worked out what the DS stood for.

I'll go sit in the corner with the other special guys now. :saddowns:

Limited
February 25th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I hate DS's no matter what version.

Pooky
February 25th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I'll say what the majority of people who see this thread are thinking: "Who cares?"

This, plus it's an idiotic money grab.

No GBA support wtf?

Evil_Monkey
February 25th, 2009, 10:31 AM
No GBA support wtf?
That's exactly what I thought. It's not even worth buying the DSi I'd rather buy the DS lite.

CodeBrain
February 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I do believe they took out the GBA port, because somewhere along the way they will incorporate a GBA "Emulator" as DSiWare. Then you buy the GBA games with "DSi Points" similar to Wii Points.

Of course, once the DSi is hacked, it might be able to use GBA Roms directly from the computer.

Donut
February 25th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I do believe they took out the GBA port, because somewhere along the way they will incorporate a GBA "Emulator" as DSiWare. Then you buy the GBA games with "DSi Points" similar to Wii Points.

Of course, once the DSi is hacked, it might be able to use GBA Roms directly from the computer.
when (if) they end up hacking it, i might consider getting one for outside apps, but at this point it seems like the psp has had emulator and rom support for some time now... i think i might sell my old ds, keep my ds lite, and buy a psp, only for the emulator support.
and the only reason i would keep my ds lite is because at this point, all i use it for is as an alarm clock. it has no GBC support so i cant play tetris on it, therefore it is useless to me as a handheld gaming device.
in short, GBA SP (tetris) and PSP ftw.

Mr Buckshot
February 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I have an original silver fat DS, don't plan on changing unless it actually breaks down. And if I do change my DS it'll be to a Lite for sure.

The DSi looks nice and the camera is a nifty novelty, but the lack of GBA support instantly brings down its appeal. Sorry Nintendo, but your "improvements" have only defaced one of the best portable consoles ever.

ODX
February 25th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Video game systems are for video games, if I want to take pictures I'll use my camera. If I want to browse the internet I'll use my computer. Well, I take the internet one back, but I find the camera really useless and stupid, unless it does tie into an actual game.

PlasbianX
February 25th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I have an original silver fat DS, don't plan on changing unless it actually breaks down. And if I do change my DS it'll be to a Lite for sure.

The DSi looks nice and the camera is a nifty novelty, but the lack of GBA support instantly brings down its appeal. Sorry Nintendo, but your "improvements" have only defaced one of the best portable consoles ever.

I have the older DS as well, and planned on getting a Lite, however I rarely play any of my old GBA games aside from final fantasy tactics. So I think if i did upgrade, i might go DSi.

Mr Buckshot
February 26th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Video game systems are for video games, if I want to take pictures I'll use my camera. If I want to browse the internet I'll use my computer. Well, I take the internet one back, but I find the camera really useless and stupid, unless it does tie into an actual game.

Well Nintendo said that some games might let you put your face inside or something, similar to the Xbox camera, while others might be interactive with the camera, similar to the Playstation Eyetoy. But it's not really a feature I'd be screaming about.

However I am intrigued by the built in SD card support on the DSi, as it can not only run multimedia, but also download official software like game demoes or game add-ons. Pretty cool.

Huero
February 26th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Video game systems are for video games, if I want to take pictures I'll use my camera. If I want to browse the internet I'll use my computer.

this is like saying the camera on a cameraphone is a waste

DaneO'Roo
February 26th, 2009, 02:51 AM
PSP2.

n00b1n8R
February 26th, 2009, 04:36 AM
this is like saying the camera on a cameraphone is a waste
It is if the camera is a piece of shit.

TeeKup
February 26th, 2009, 08:30 AM
It doesn't have a GBA slot. I'll stick with a DS Lite.

Huero
February 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM
It is if the camera is a piece of shit.

yes but it's useful day to day
i tend to use the camera on my phone to you know
take pictures of cool shit i see
e: for instance, one day on a field trip on the bus a truck filled with pigeons drove by
did i take a picture of that shit?
WHY YES I DID.

BobtheGreatII
February 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Same here...

n00b1n8R
February 27th, 2009, 11:13 PM
e: for instance, one day on a field trip on the bus a truck filled with pigeons drove by
did i take a picture of that shit?
WHY YES I DID.
:picsorstfu: