PDA

View Full Version : Fucking HDDs

TheGhost
March 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
So we have a lab report due tomorrow 11 AM that my partner and I have already spent 14 hours working on. Not only that but I have an exam from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM tonight and a ~6 hour problem set due tomorrow morning that is yet to be started.

Needless to say it's been busy trying to get everything done and studying for my exam, but my partner's hard drive just failed when she tried to turn it on this morning. She was going to e-mail me the work so far last night but didn't end up doing it, so the data is backed up nowhere. The computer is refusing to boot, making clicking noises, and she already gave it to the store to repair. They say it's going to take at least a week to get back and there's no guarantee they can get the data off the hard drive, even though they are charging $70 to try.

So fuck that, and fuck hard drives, and fuck Dell laptops.

Limited
March 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Ouch that sucks ghost. But like they say, make many backups. I have uni computers, mine and my usb.

I've been swamped for work too lately, starting to panic about it.

Also, teams suck they are totally unreliable =\.

Btw how easy is it to give pbear access back to the tf2 server? It needs fixing :O

TheGhost
March 5th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I have backups, but she doesn't. Plus everything was done yesterday, so unless she backed up last night it wouldn't have made a difference, for the lab at least.

polar still has access.

RobertGraham
March 5th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I used to use my iPod as backup storage for my computer. Such as pictures, music, and programs. Too bad its gone now :(

MetKiller Joe
March 5th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Ouch. That really sucks. I know many people who have had partners do the same thing (although, the biggest assignments we've had in high school is a power point, presentation, and multi-page paper); they tell me that they just do it themselves (data entry).

InnerGoat
March 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Should have tossed the drive in the freezer.

leorimolo
March 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8043/snapshot20090305nlp.jpg
2 Xbox hdds, one dell laptop hdd, one from a white macbook.
These all died in 2 years.

Amit
March 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Did you try hooking it up in your computer to extract files? Also, Using an Ubuntu Live CD you should boot the computer with it and copy the files to an external USB drive of some sort.

Hotrod
March 5th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Wow, that does suck. Not quite sure what to say besides that I hope everything turns out well for you.

rossmum
March 5th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Seems to me that HDDs are a real luck-of-the-draw thing... my Windows drive is pushing 10, my secondary where I keep most of my programs and such is about 5, and my removable's just about a year old. Never had a bit of trouble from any of them.

Cortexian
March 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM
L2RAID0

ExAm
March 6th, 2009, 05:20 AM
This sounds similar to but far more serious than my experience at the end of computer science today. I had just finished my last in-class coding exercise, and was about to submit my files to the grading server. Then my workstation decided it would be an awesome time to say "This computer will shut down in 300 seconds" and then shut down two seconds later. I lost all my work. :C