PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Graphics are Fuxd.

Heathen
March 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Okay, this is my 2nd Tech Thread today mostly because my little understanding of computer related terms makes it hard to google for answers.

Okay, basically I downloaded Ubuntu onto a USB drive and when I boot it the graphics are terribly messed up. This graphical glitch also happened when i had it on one of my partitions in the past. Whadufuxup.

Before you ask I cannot take any pics, or do anything for that matter because its so bad and fucked up.

If there is a video driver I have to download or something maybe please point me in the right direction or something...

MetKiller Joe
March 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Computer specs?

Also, have you try reinstalling Ubuntu on the USB drive to make sure it isn't a corruption of drivers?

RobertGraham
March 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Make sure your boot wasn't compressed.

If I may add in, don't ever install OS's on your USB, unless its like Slax Linux or something like GParted.

Heathen
March 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Well its not the USB. It did it when I did it onto my comp too.

And my specs are in my specs thing.

Heathen's PC Specs
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
Internal Components
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
RAM: 1022MB RAM
Graphics Card: RADEON X300 SE 128MB HyperMemory
Sound Card: C-Media USB Headphone Set
External Components
Primary Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Storage
Primary HDD: 244 GB

I should specify more what its doing.

My desktop copies anything i open over it. It mirrors it millions of time blurring it and stretching it.
If I load up FF it just blacks out the entire thing and when I click around it just flickers and crap. I cannot do anything no matter what I do.

Phopojijo
March 5th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Do you have proper AMD drivers for your card?

Heathen
March 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Um...I have no idea?

Remember, vvvvvvvvery limited knowledge.

Phopojijo
March 5th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Yeahhh I doubt it then. You really need to go out of your way to grab them... heck I needed to boot into the low-graphics mode so I could even get the nVidia drivers off the repository.

How you do that though, not sure -- I'd look it up on Ubuntu Forums if I wasn't swamped with work.

Heathen
March 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Well if you could that would be great.

My biggest issue is I wouldn't know where to start to even google that. What terminology to use or anything...

I hate it but I am basically asking for handouts...

klange
March 6th, 2009, 05:19 AM
If I may add in, don't ever install OS's on your USB, unless its like Slax Linux or something like GParted.
What? Do you know how much wear leveling goes into your USB stick itself, plus the fact that a distro like Ubuntu has its own install-to-USB option? As long as you're not using it every day, you're fine.

@Heathen: With an ATI card, your Ubuntu is running with the open-source radeon driver, which should normally work fine (I use them with my X800...). You can try to install the ATI drivers (frglx or however you spell it, regardless, it's always a pain), but if you have a hard drive installation, I would try updating first.

One other possibility is that you're running Compiz (the graphical window manager, a project I'm part of, and which Ubuntu automatically runs if it thinks it can), and the X300 itself may have issues. If this is the case, running 'metacity --replace' may clear things up (hit Alt+F2, type that, and hit enter). I could have sworn X300s were in our "iffy" list...

You never said what release of Ubuntu it was. 8.04.2 (Hardy)? 8.10 (Intrepid)?

Heathen
March 6th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Its 8.10. I could swear I said it at one point :/

I had Hardy before but it did it also, just slightly less terribly.

Yeah, it works!

Now I just needa connect to the internet with it. I am sure its a farely simple problem eh?

RobertGraham
March 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM
What kind of Ethernet controller do you use for your system?

Jelly
March 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Its 8.10. I could swear I said it at one point :/

I had Hardy before but it did it also, just slightly less terribly.

Yeah, it works!

Now I just needa connect to the internet with it. I am sure its a farely simple problem eh?

Ubuntu should come with some generic network Drivers. I didn't need to install anything on Hardy or Intrepid to make my Wireless card work.

Heathen
March 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
What kind of Ethernet controller do you use for your system?
Could you dumb this down :downs:

E: *Cough*

RobertGraham
March 6th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Are you dual Booting or is this a Dell Ubuntu?

If your dual booting, go into Windows, then go into "Control Panel > System & Maintenance > System" then click on the Hardware Tab and then click Device Manager. In there, look for the Network and Internet drivers.

klange
March 6th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Or... in Ubuntu, type lspci - it'll give us a lot more useful information considering how wrongly named most network drivers are on Windows.

Heathen
March 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
K, it says Westell WireSpeed Dual Connect Modem.

Heathen
March 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM
*cough*

klange
March 7th, 2009, 08:30 AM
That's a modem, not an Ethernet controller... Unless you're on dialup, that's not going to help us.
Type `lspci` in a terminal on Ubuntu and post the (complete) results.

Heathen
March 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
That's a modem, not an Ethernet controller... Unless you're on dialup, that's not going to help us.
Type `lspci` in a terminal on Ubuntu and post the (complete) results.
http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-ughh.gif (http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-ughh.gif)
Im gonna do that tonight...I have work today.

Warsaw
March 7th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I get the graphical error as well. I think it has something to do with DVI (because using a VGA monitor (meaning you can use a VGA monitor with a DVI-adapter) fixes the issue), and in your case, ATi. Linux has better support with nVidia than ATi. The error also occurs if you have more than one monitor hooked up before you actually install the OS.

klange
March 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I get the graphical error as well. I think it has something to do with DVI (because using a VGA monitor (meaning you can use a VGA monitor with a DVI-adapter) fixes the issue), and in your case, ATi. Linux has better support with nVidia than ATi. The error also occurs if you have more than one monitor hooked up before you actually install the OS.
It's the other way around: nVidia has better support for their cards on Linux - they're the ones making the drivers, not us. The open-source ATi drivers usually work fine, just not with the x300 or a number of older Radeon cards. Autodetection under the open-source drivers tends to be a lot better than in proprietary drivers (don't know why, maybe it's a combination of kludges that yielded better results), so I doubt a DVI or monitor connection issue.

Heathen
March 8th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I was told by my local Ubuntu guy that it COULD be because I was connected using USB.

Ya, if it is why, total facepalmage.

Warsaw
March 8th, 2009, 12:47 AM
It's the other way around: nVidia has better support for their cards on Linux - they're the ones making the drivers, not us. The open-source ATi drivers usually work fine, just not with the x300 or a number of older Radeon cards. Autodetection under the open-source drivers tends to be a lot better than in proprietary drivers (don't know why, maybe it's a combination of kludges that yielded better results), so I doubt a DVI or monitor connection issue.

I know that. I'm saying Linux has more support when you use nVidia, not that they optimize it for nVidia.

p0lar_bear
March 8th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Now I just needa connect to the internet with it. I am sure its a farely simple problem eh?A nub messing with babby's first Lunix?

Even if you're good with Windows and hardware and whatnot, if you don't know your way around bash, or how to do stuff in Linux, nothing will be easy. Believe me, I had TONS of fun figuring out how to work with this server to install HLDS and get it running.

Even after that, I'm still lucky to not be breaking shit when I SSH into the server. :gonk:

Heathen
March 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM
A nub messing with babby's first Lunix?

Even if you're good with Windows and hardware and whatnot, if you don't know your way around bash, or how to do stuff in Linux, nothing will be easy. Believe me, I had TONS of fun figuring out how to work with this server to install HLDS and get it running.

Even after that, I'm still lucky to not be breaking shit when I SSH into the server. :gonk:
Well hell I just slightly know more than the average retard on windows. I am blind with this stuff. Still, I like to learn. Btw got it working guise thanks.

Jelly
March 8th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Well hell I just slightly know more than the average retard on windows. I am blind with this stuff. Still, I like to learn. Btw got it working guise thanks.

Challenge: Try and make Shockwave work in Firefox.

Reaper Man
March 8th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Challenge: Try and make Shockwave work in Firefox.

Download Wine
Download Firefox for Windows
Install Firefox for Windows
Install Shockwave
?????
PROFIT!

:eng101:
Also, apparently Firefox on Wine outperforms Firefox for Linux. http://www.tuxradar.com/content/browser-benchmarks-2-even-wine-beats-linux-firefox

Pyong Kawaguchi
March 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I find that quite funny, didnt firefox start out for linux?

klange
March 8th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I find that quite funny, didnt firefox start out for linux?
No? Firefox started out on both Windows and Linux, simultaneously.

And it's issues with FontConfig.

Heathen
March 8th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Download Wine
Download Firefox for Windows
Install Firefox for Windows
Install Shockwave
?????
PROFIT!

:eng101:
Also, apparently Firefox on Wine outperforms Firefox for Linux. http://www.tuxradar.com/content/browser-benchmarks-2-even-wine-beats-linux-firefox
Thats actually what I did last time.