PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen Discussion Thread

thehoodedsmack
March 8th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Since we didn't seem to have one, and since the movie came out two days ago, feel free to discuss it here. Not sure if a lot of you guys saw it/are going to see it, but it was great, and fairly faithful to the comic, albeit lacking some important details. And space-squid.

For anyone interested, they've got the movie's kick-ass opening credits online: http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/the-watchmen-opening-credits-are-online Nevermind. Removed by copyright holders. Go see the movie.

Hotrod
March 8th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I was supposed to see it with some friends on Friday, but that was until we saw that it was rated 18A...

thehoodedsmack
March 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I was supposed to see it with some friends on Friday, but that was until we saw that it was rated 18A...

There's actually far more blue penis than anyone could have expected...

klange
March 8th, 2009, 10:18 AM
If you pay attention at the end, the codename for the energy explosion thingy is "Squid", so while not the same ending as the original comic, it at least hints at it.

Was good. Skipped a school pep rally to see it with some friends.

Mass
March 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I hope they did a good job on Nite Owl and Rorschach's interaction, that's my favorite part of the book.

It was more of an octopus with a vagina-mouth if memory serves me correct. Oh, and was the scene where Rorschach fights off the mobsters at his jail cell done with authentic badassness?

Hotrod
March 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
There's actually far more blue penis than anyone could have expected...
Oh, then it makes sense then.

Mr Buckshot
March 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I plan on watching it with my buddies sometime this spring break (starting march 13). I have not read the Watchmen comics at all, but my public library has them so I have plenty of time to "catch up."

Limited
March 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I wanna go watch it but I havent read the comic book.

Will I be utterly confused or just simply amazed throughout?

Trailer looks pretty fast past and I probably wouldnt be able to keep up with storyline.

Also yay for relative in film (you know what I'm talking about rams)

klange
March 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I wanna go watch it but I havent read the comic book.

Will I be utterly confused or just simply amazed throughout?

Trailer looks pretty fast past and I probably wouldnt be able to keep up with storyline.

Also yay for relative in film (you know what I'm talking about rams)
You'll just be simply amazed throughout. And don't worry, it's 3 hours long, the storyline doesn't move too fast.

Limited
March 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Does it feel dragged on though? Last James Bond film did you see, even though that was all actiony.

Choking Victim
March 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Does it feel dragged on though? Last James Bond film did you see, even though that was all actiony.
I know people that didn't read the graphic novel, but saw the movie. Alot of them were kind of confused by the storyline and did feel like it was a bit too long.

I haven't seen it yet, I read the graphic novel though and i'm pretty glad to hear it followed it's predecessor pretty well.

Snowy
March 8th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Here's my honest opinion;

I saw watchment last night, it was horrible. One of the worst movies I've seen in a while. If it wasn't for my friends that came with me, I would have walked out. Extremley slow moving, hardly any action, could hardly understand the plot, if there was one. None of the background stuff really looked like it was in the right time period, I had a hard time figuring out what time period it exactly was.

No, I didn't read the comic book. I shouldn't have to. I didn't read lord of the rings, I didn't read harry potter, those are both good movies. Watchmen was just a waste of money.

thehoodedsmack
March 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM
hardly any action

I heard a lot of people complain about this. Frankly, I think people are going in with the wrong mindset. Watchmen isn't an action movie. It's not even a traditional superhero movie. When my friend asked me to explain Dr. Manhattan, his response to his overwhelming abilities was "well that's pretty cheap". This isn't your average superhero movie where you have goodguys and badguys and a 10 minute fight near the end. It's a world of Batmen, in a sense. Powerless people in costumes. Personally, I think they left out a lot of stuff they shouldn't have, and left in a lot of stuff they didn't need to. Without reading the book, people aren't going to find it easy to follow.

I had a hard time figuring out what time period it exactly was.

Now I'm starting to think your lack of enjoyment was your own fault. If you couldn't tell this was during the Cold War, then you just aren't paying ANY attention.

Gwunty
March 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Now I'm starting to think your lack of enjoyment was your own fault. If you couldn't tell this was during the Cold War, then you just aren't paying ANY attention.
srsly, I saw a 30 second spot on mtv and I was able to figure out that it was during the coldwar.

Snowy
March 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Cold war lasted over 50 years. I guess I was looking for a more specific time period. Cars looked like they were from the 80's, people occasionally dressed like it was the late 50's/60's.

Yes, I did give up on the movie about half-way through. I gave it a fair chance, but it just did not ignite any kind of interest.

Also, there was way too much penis.

thehoodedsmack
March 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Cold war lasted over 50 years. I guess I was looking for a more specific time period. Cars looked like they were from the 80's, people occasionally dressed like it was the late 50's/60's.

Yes, I did give up on the movie about half-way through. I gave it a fair chance, but it just did not ignite any kind of interest.

Also, there was way too much penis.

Well, it WAS set in the 80s, and there are frequent flashbacks to the 40s/50s/60s, so I guess it can get a little confusing. And yeah. Blue penis.

legionaire45
March 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I personally liked it a lot, and I never read any of the comics.

Mass
March 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
The ironic thing is that the blue penis only appears once in the actual book, and even then it's without detail.

Choking Victim
March 8th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Dead or Alive 5: Watchmen Edition

Now with jiggling dick physics!

Seriously, is it really that obnoxiously noticeable in the film?

NuggetWarmer
March 8th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I didn't really even pay attention to the penis. Seriously, guys, if it bothered you that much, you obviously were looking for it. I enjoyed it, even if there was a lot missing when comparing it to the book. I was hoping for more backstory to some of the characters though.

dg
March 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I did not enjoy the movie very much. I didn't read the comic, so perhaps I was missing out on some of the "awesomely awesome goodness." It was fairly slow moving and, at some points, overly graphic. The story line was fantastic, but to sit there for 2 hours and 45 minutes was simply unacceptable. It could have been easily cut down (time-wise) and still made perfectly good sense.

Anyway, I'd tell you to go see it simply for the visual effects. Absolutely incredible.

DEElekgolo
March 9th, 2009, 12:14 AM
There was not enough story in the movie to have a 3 hour movie.

jngrow
March 9th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I read the comic, it left some things out I would have like to seen still in.

But I thought it was great. Saw it with 3 people who hadn't read the comic, and they all liked it. Violence was turned up to 11, which surprised me. If it seemed slow moving, it's because the series/graphic novel as a whole is never 100% solely concerned with one linear plot, it dissects and studies what it would be like if super-heroes existed IRL. Which is what the movie does stay true to as much as it can without killing mainstream audience.

Con
March 9th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I haven't read the book, but I got the story fine. My bud's got it, so maybe I'll read it sometimes.

ExAm
March 9th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I hope they did a good job on Nite Owl and Rorschach's interaction, that's my favorite part of the book.

Oh, and was the scene where Rorschach fights off the mobsters at his jail cell done with authentic badassness?
That scene was pure distilled awesome. I don't think you have to worry about that :v:

I thought the movie was the best I've seen in a while, really. I'm only on the second chapter of the comic, but still. Awesome.

Corndogman
March 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Well, I liked it, but I feel I could have enjoyed it more. Reason being that I saw the 10:30 showing, after being out in the sun all day long. This made it very hard to pay attention towards the end of the movie. as it was 1 a.m. Besides that I feel they could have shaved off some time in the middle of the movie. I kept thinking "ok, where is the plot gonna go now?" towards the middle. After the jail scene though, my interest was restored.

I think I'm gonna read the comic now, so that I can get more insight on it.

flibitijibibo
March 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
This thread reminded me of thepencilfor some reason.

I still need to see this. Maybe I'll see it when I see Miss March. What a lovely contrast... blue dongs and the WKUK.

Pooky
March 10th, 2009, 02:33 AM
at some points, overly graphic.

Seriously. There's a point after which a little censorship can be a good thing. This movie had none.

n00b1n8R
March 10th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I'll be surprised if this made it through the Australian classification process intact.
Fuck, Bethesda had to rename morphine to something else to be aloud to sell Fallout 3 here.

ICEE
March 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Dead or Alive 5: Watchmen Edition

Now with jiggling dick physics!

Seriously, is it really that obnoxiously noticeable in the film?

No, it was something you had to look for. I didn't even know what my friends were laughing about until I actually looked. The first few scenes that apparently showed it, I did not notice it at all.

Also, I enjoyed the movie a lot and found no problem following the plot. I haven't read the book, but I intend to.

Finally a bad ass red head character, amirite?

A lot of people who didn't enjoy the movie that I have met are the kind who have no attention span, and no appreciation for movies that don't show massive fight scenes full of jiggling tits and lightsabers. Also, I take into account people's tract record. If i've never heard a positive word from your mouth snowy , then I don't care what you think.