PDA

View Full Version : [CRYSIS] Is Warhead worth the rootkit or should I just skip it entirely?

itszutak
March 15th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I'm debating getting Crysis Warhead. It seems that no matter what legal method I use to get it, it will still have the anti-piracy rootkit on it, and that's something I do not want on my system.

Is the game a significant improvement on Crysis? Is the rootkit removable while still allowing the game to be played? Are there viruses that target the rootkit yet?

Roostervier
March 15th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but they released a DRM revoke tool for Warhead here. (http://www.mycrysis.com/newsdetails.php?news=40361) So if that would make it worth it to you, go ahead and get it.

Sel
March 15th, 2009, 09:53 AM
^

Warhead is 30$ on steam, and the singleplayer is a lot of fun, definitely worth getting now that the securom can be removed.

The MP is satisfactory, but nothing compared to tf2.

mech
March 15th, 2009, 10:16 AM
As far as I can remember, the DRM software was removed from the steam warhead.

Can't offer any insight on the gameplay of the SP since I didn't bother to install it but the multiplayer is enjoyable when people were playing it, I don't know if that's the case anymore though.

Sel
March 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
As far as I can remember, the DRM software was removed from the steam warhead.

Can't offer any insight on the gameplay of the SP since I didn't bother to install it but the multiplayer is enjoyable when people were playing it, I don't know if that's the case anymore though.

It's cool with friends, but crytek really fucked up a lot of the balancing so it's not that good anymore :S

itszutak
March 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but they released a DRM revoke tool for Warhead here. (http://www.mycrysis.com/newsdetails.php?news=40361) So if that would make it worth it to you, go ahead and get it.
Can that tool be used while Warhead is installed? I was under the impression it was designed to be used once Warhead was uninstalled.

343guiltymc
March 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM
The SP is a lot more on rails than the first half of the original crysis, though the aliens are more smarter this time around and there are more variety of them.

itszutak
March 15th, 2009, 11:53 PM
The SP is a lot more on rails than the first half of the original crysis, though the aliens are more smarter this time around and there are more variety of them.
aggh

Are you sure? I've read reviews saying that it's much less linear, goal-to-goal, and overall more like the first half of Crysis. If it's not that open, I'll just wait for something more open to come along :/

Also just like to say that I am SICK of the aliens from the original Crysis. Two hits on easy and you're down. And they're a bitch to take down.

Sel
March 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM

What?

The SP is just as free and open as the original crysis. You're free to take anyway to the objective that you want, save for the train level, but that is a fucktonne of fun.

itszutak
March 16th, 2009, 01:48 PM
What?

The SP is just as free and open as the original crysis. You're free to take anyway to the objective that you want, save for the train level, but that is a fucktonne of fun.
This is what I was looking for.

I'll do some research on Google, but I think I'm buying this game.

E: DRM removal tool only works when the game's not in use. Back to square one: Has anybody had problems with DRM so far?

343guiltymc
March 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
What?

What about the hovercraft level where your chasing Colonel Lee? There isn't any option given to how you chase him other than pursue him other than to use the frustratingly hard to control hovercraft.The 2nd level where your escaping in vehicles with O'Neil is pretty on rails too where there are seemingly a whole pack barrels placed near enemies for you.

StankBacon
March 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM
E: DRM removal tool only works when the game's not in use. Back to square one: Has anybody had problems with DRM so far?

never once had any problems with it... nor did i notice any negative effects on performance with it installed.

id say go for it, and stop listening to all the doomsday anti-drm people.