PDA

View Full Version : would this sync?...

sevlag
March 16th, 2009, 07:54 AM
A friend of mine recently felt that a map built exclusivley for zombies was needed, when he told me of this it drew concern, he wanted to give zombies a one hit kill melee tool, this was a problem from my perspective as once killed a "human" could pick it up and use it, so I suggested that the "zombie claw" would, upon being dropped, would deactivate similar to the Plasma Swords in the original Halo campaign, however we both knew CE sucks at pulling off synchs and I started to wonder if this fail safe on the object would synch properly...

so there is my question, would the "fail safe" synch? I hope it does as the weapon only has a melee attack and would be an nice solution to zombies running around with actually weapons...

so yeah, would it synch in-game or no?

oh and the zombies cant be spawn camped, we decided to start them off in a sealed room ( like a quarintine zone) with a one way teleporter node that sends them to one of several nodes (this prevents telecamping for a large part)...

anyways, there is my question to modacity, WILL FAIL SAFE SYNCH?

Cortexian
March 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
How are you planning on making the Zombie team spawn with the "zombie claw" in the first place but not the Humans? The only idea I've got on that would be placing said "zombie claw" in the sealed room with a REALLY quick respawn rate and multiple spawns.

Other than that, the idea is good but it probably doesn't sync online very well. I've never checked that in particular myself though.

Con
March 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
You should just try a simple test map out with a friend to see if it syncs or not, it's probably faster than asking here.

p0lar_bear
March 16th, 2009, 01:46 PM
The fail safe would very well sync online. However, keep in mind that changing your active weapon also triggers it.

However, forcing one team to do anything on spawn is nigh impossible without Open Sauce, and probably barely attainable with complex scripting.

sevlag
March 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
well the "claw" is a weapon the zombies themselves spawn near, the map was designed so on "custom" startin weapons, people are unarmed, the zombies walk into the claw, pick it up and are able to use it. the claw is invisbile and in 3rd person it is a pistol whip animation minus the pistol itself.

like I said, zombies spawn in an enclosed room and the claw is a weapon that they pick up and if dropped it's "fail safe" kicks in and renders it unuseable...

thats the general idea of the claw

Con
March 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
The first person animations for the claw should be the MC arms, just flood infected. Have the glove missing or part of the armour broken.

sdavis117
March 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Are the humans going to spawn in a concealed area too?

They better not, or they will never leave there.

Delta4907
March 16th, 2009, 09:20 PM
If they did spawn in like, say, an armory of some sort, I think you could have a script where after about 30 seconds to a minute anyone in the room would be teleported to the outer area, the only problem I can think of is new players joining, and being able to stay in the room forever, unless the script applied to them and they had 30 seconds to a minute before they were teleported.

Inferno
March 16th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Give each player 30 seconds in the room then teleport out. Easy script.

UnevenElefant5
March 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what is the map going to be like? I'm looking forward to an exclusively zombies map.

Con
March 16th, 2009, 10:08 PM
If they did spawn in like, say, an armory of some sort, I think you could have a script where after about 30 seconds to a minute anyone in the room would be teleported to the outer area, the only problem I can think of is new players joining, and being able to stay in the room forever, unless the script applied to them and they had 30 seconds to a minute before they were teleported.
Or you could just design the map properly. Scripts are unreliable, and they're not this magic thing that solves all your problems. There are better ways of doing things. Spread the weapons around the map, so players actually have to work for them. A fun thing about zombies games is racing people for weapons.

sevlag
March 17th, 2009, 09:58 AM
The humans spawn out in the open, only the zombies spawn in a containment area that is dubbed “quarantine room”. The FP hands my friend did bother with (we didn’t think it was needed) however if it does turn out ok, we may make like FP flood arms or whatnot.

I myself have not played the map as of yet and I’m going on what a few screens and a small video of the map give me.

Also, this is sort of on topic but at the same time not: I had joked to him about making a map based off the first level in L4D No Mercy campaign… with people spawning in a small area with weak weapons and no ammo pick up, (that and I wanted to see if we could get a random teleporter to make the zombies occasionally spawn in the starting room, to flush camping humans out of it.

But yeah…and hopefully when its all said and done and goes public, who knows maybe aybll (and he better snow grove is NOT a map for infection/zombies) will put this map in Snow Grove’s place.

Oh and the map has “easter eggs” nothing big, just credit posters (I wanted a decal of vault boy on a wall, but my friend said he couldn’t)

anyways, I'm not building hype..there IS bound to be problems

Con
March 17th, 2009, 01:13 PM
No Mercy wouldn't play well at all. CE players aren't coordinated enough to play infected well on that map, and the survivors would just charge through.

sevlag
March 17th, 2009, 04:12 PM
No Mercy wouldn't play well at all. CE players aren't coordinated enough to play infected well on that map, and the survivors would just charge through.wait...you mean there are people in L4D who actually stratagize...thats plain crazy talk man, you're crazy conscars :P

but it was a joke, I thought it'd be funny to play the first level of no mercy in CE