PDA

View Full Version : 10 kids accidentally served wiper fluid at daycare center.

sdavis117
March 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/03/10-kids-acciden.html

Ten children have been hospitalized in Arkansas after mistakenly being served windshield wiper fluid instead of Kool-Aid at a daycare center, Little Rock's KATV reports. (http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0309/603408.html)
The TV station says the children appear to be doing well, but will remain in the hospital for observation.
Dr. Laura James, a pediatric toxicologist involved in case, tells The Associated Press (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-03-13-wiper-fluid_N.htm) that a daycare staffer in the Scott community accidentally put the blue-colored wiper fluid in a refrigerator after a shopping trip, then later served it by mistake.
Doctors estimate the children, ages 2 to 7, each drank about an ounce of the fluid before realizing what it was, KATV says.
James tells the AP that the children's blood samples contained high levels of methanol, a toxic alcohol. She says methanol can cause kidney damage and blindness.

Whatever faith I have left in Humanity just took a crushing blow.

Edit: And WTF, it just has to happen in a town with the same name as me.

flibitijibibo
March 17th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Can I ask how such a fluid even made it to the fridge? I figure the bottle would be slightly different from a kool-aid container, especially with the labels.

sevlag
March 17th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Can I ask how such a fluid even made it to the fridge? I figure the bottle would be slightly different from a kool-aid container, especially with the labels.now that is a good point, how the hell do you confuse the two when they BOTH have extremly different labels and one reads "Keep out of reach of children"

publicity stunt gone wrong or something the media just made up?
or could it have happened? those three things are what you sohuld ponder for now

TeeKup
March 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM
It's Arkansas. I'm not surprised.

mech
March 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Must of been good if the kids drank it, I think I'll try some.

LinkandKvel
March 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Edit: And WTF, it just has to happen in a town with the same name as me.Your name is Little Rock?

sdavis117
March 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
The News Station is in Little Rock. This happened in a small town just outside of Little Rock called "Scott".

p0lar_bear
March 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM
This is... just... wow.

Hope the broad got fired for being such a retard.

Con
March 17th, 2009, 01:02 PM
oh damn, I hope they don't all go blind.

Hotrod
March 17th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Shit man... How the fuck does this stuff happen? Where the people taking care of the children mentally retarded? Who the fuck confuses Kool-Aid and wiper fluid? I just hope that the children will be alright, poor them. Even an ounce is a lot for a little 2 year old.

RobertGraham
March 17th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Who the fuck confuses Kool-Aid and wiper fluid? Colorblinds

Warsaw
March 17th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Idiots.

Not much else to say about that.

Rook
March 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Not much else to say about that.
Well if you're gonna drink it don't be a pussy! CHUG CHUG.

p0lar_bear
March 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Colorblinds

I don't think colorblindness is remotely even close to an excuse to mix up

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/284299_front200.jpg

with

http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/b2/03/e1_1.JPG

If they're using containers like wiper fluid, then what the hell?!

Moreover, WHY did the dumb bitch put windshield wiper fluid in the refrigerator in the first place?!

Heathen
March 17th, 2009, 03:16 PM
To keep it cool. Why else?

Con
March 17th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Moreover, WHY did the dumb bitch put windshield wiper fluid in the refrigerator in the first place?!
Not everyone keeps their kool-aid in a smiling jug, not all of it's red either. Also, she came back from shopping so she had a bag full of stuff, and she just kept idly putting stuff in the fridge forgetting that the wiper fluid was in there. Not defending her, she fucked up big time, but I can see why it happened up until the pouring of fluid into the cups. That just confuses me, she should have caught on then.

p0lar_bear
March 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Not everyone keeps their kool-aid in a smiling jug, not all of it's red either. Also, she came back from shopping so she had a bag full of stuff, and she just kept idly putting stuff in the fridge forgetting that the wiper fluid was in there. Not defending her, she fucked up big time, but I can see why it happened up until the pouring of fluid into the cups. That just confuses me, she should have caught on then.

Well, I was looking for a picture of a generic pitcher filled with kool aid, and that was the best I could come up with. vOv

I was also reading that wrong and wondering why she just put a lone jug of wiper fluid in the fridge. :(

Rook
March 17th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I don't think colorblindness is remotely even close to an excuse to mix up

If they're using containers like wiper fluid, then what the hell?!

I'm drinking clear/white koolaid, but if the fluid was actually in a bottle labeled "CLEANER" then that's still no excuse.

Advancebo
March 17th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Im pretty sure the smell of the wiper fluid distinguishes from kool aid.

sevlag
March 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Im pretty sure the smell of the wiper fluid distinguishes from kool aid.it does smell different, cant tell ya about the taste...never really tried wiper fluid

but yeah, hopefully those kids come out of this ok and that the spaz of a woman is atleast fired from her job, you seriously should THINK before absentmindedly putting stuff in the fridge, if I'm reading this right, she may have put other things in there...like bleach (being serious, it COULD have happened)

Jean-Luc
March 17th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evidently the woman has no sensory input other than touch and sight.

Mr Buckshot
March 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Fire that woman? She needs life imprisonment for that kind of negligence if any of the kids die. The kids were freakin' poisoned, damnit.

If this is true, hope the kids make it, I'm worried about the methanol and their sight though.

Heh, I feel thankful that I never had daycare or babysitters at that age 0_O

k4is3rxkh40s
March 17th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Fire that woman? She needs life imprisonment for that kind of negligence.

Only problem with this reasoning is that half of the total world's population would need to be jailed, just for sheer idiocy, too. Many a case it may not be something so toxic switched with what was meant to be served/etc, but still something so different it's pretty obvious not the drink/food/etc

Xetsuei
March 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
She needs life imprisonment for that kind of negligence.

Sounds like something a Chinese judge/law maker would say.

Limited
March 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
If one of the kids die, then buckshot would be right in suggesting imprisonment. Yes its an accident and the women didnt bother/remember to read the label. But what the hell, if you've just bought wiper fluid your mind should trigger thinking "oh I should check the label, just in case".

Also secondly, they get served kool-aid at daycare? Lucky bastards...

rossmum
March 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
What an idiot. I can understand that some wiper fluid bottles might have rather generic logos on them like the one bip0lar_bear posted but all the same, how could you miss warnings and instructions that take up half of the bloody label (assuming there isn't another on the other side of the jug)?

Needles
March 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I don't get how wiper fluid even got to the fridge. Didn't it smell funny or look different? That's quite the failure on her part, I really hope the kids don't go blind at such a young age.

itszutak
March 17th, 2009, 11:20 PM
What I wonder is why the kids didn't, you know, spit it out. Most window cleaners are ammonia-based-- a strong base. It would taste like soap, or worse.

It also gives a strong scent that should have tipped off anyone.

Hotrod
March 17th, 2009, 11:40 PM
What I wonder is why the kids didn't, you know, spit it out. Most window cleaners are ammonia-based-- a strong base. It would taste like soap, or worse.

It also gives a strong scent that should have tipped off anyone.
They were 2-7 years old, the younger ones probably couldn't tell what it was, and trusted the adults. As for the a bit older ones, it's quite possible that the situation was the same.

SnaFuBAR
March 18th, 2009, 12:08 AM
i accidentally the whole daycare
whoops

I wonder what course of action they took for detoxing these kids. Dialysis? Stomach pump? I'd like to know.

p0lar_bear
March 18th, 2009, 01:34 AM
whoops

I wonder what course of action they took for detoxing these kids. Dialysis? Stomach pump? I'd like to know.

Probably pump. I was accidentally spoon-fed some ointment I was prescribed for allergic rashes when I was a wee lad, and I had mine pumped. It's funny, I remember being fed the cream, but not the stomach pump (thank god).

Bodzilla
March 18th, 2009, 01:34 AM
hasnt anyone else here accidentally put the box of ceral in the fridge or the bowl cupboard on accident and went...... "wait a minute.... shit."
*fixed*

how she did that i can understand, serving it to them is just ridiculous, she should have noticed by then.

E: should of held out posting before buckshit posted.
Are you fucking retarded, do you honestly think that a mistake deserves life imprisonment in a small featureless concrete cube because of a mistake?
Do you seriously think you wont make one yourself one day?

Get the fuck off your high horse and come back down to earth, you need to be put back in your place or in someone else's so you can understand just what a horrendously stupid idea you just had.
i hope to god your never in a position of power, because if you are, where all fucked because of your deluded logic.
Elitist fucking scum bag.

Gwunty
March 18th, 2009, 01:53 AM
hasnt anyone else here accidentally put the box of ceral in the fridge or the bowl cupboard on accident and went...... "wait a minute.... shit."
*fixed*
ohh god, for while I thought I was the only one :phonegonk:

DaneO'Roo
March 18th, 2009, 02:53 AM
The kid who drinks the wrong medicine doesn't grow up to have kids of his own.

A sip is all it would have taken to know it's not normal, and if they were stupid enough to keep drinking, good, fuck em, let them die.

CN3089
March 18th, 2009, 04:18 AM
A sip is all it would have taken to know it's not normal,

hmmm why yes it's not like wiper fluid tastes sweet or anythi

oh wait

Xetsuei
March 18th, 2009, 08:00 AM
hmmm why yes it's not like wiper fluid tastes sweet or anythi

oh wait

How would you know wiper fluid tastes sweet?

mech
March 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I tried it yesterday, it was p good. Almost as good as drano :downs:

CN3089
March 18th, 2009, 10:39 AM
How would you know wiper fluid tastes sweet?

Because I'm not an ignoramus?

Limited
March 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
*fixed*

how she did that i can understand, serving it to them is just ridiculous, she should have noticed by then.

E: should of held out posting before buckshit posted.
Are you fucking retarded, do you honestly think that a mistake deserves life imprisonment in a small featureless concrete cube because of a mistake?
Do you seriously think you wont make one yourself one day?

Get the fuck off your high horse and come back down to earth, you need to be put back in your place or in someone else's so you can understand just what a horrendously stupid idea you just had.
i hope to god your never in a position of power, because if you are, where all fucked because of your deluded logic.
Elitist fucking scum bag.
Have you never heard of the cases of death by dangerous driving, death by negligence?

People can go away for a long time, for accidentally killing someone, its not a case of whether they wanted to kill them or not.

Hopefully the kills will get past it and not die, however there still maybe long term side-effects and that could permanently ruin their lives.

rossmum
March 18th, 2009, 06:53 PM
hasnt anyone else here accidentally put the box of ceral in the fridge or the bowl cupboard on accident and went...... "wait a minute.... shit."*fixed*
Guilty as charged, though I always noticed as I was about to do it and corrected myself. I can see how it got in there, but how she managed to miss the fact it was wiper fluid and not Koolaid is beyond me.

Mr Buckshot
March 18th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Have you never heard of the cases of death by dangerous driving, death by negligence?

People can go away for a long time, for accidentally killing someone, its not a case of whether they wanted to kill them or not.

Hopefully the kills will get past it and not die, however there still maybe long term side-effects and that could permanently ruin their lives.

QFT. This reminds me of a case in 1985 where a Japan Airlines flight crashed in the hills - and it was traced back to some maintenance guys who didn't do the procedure quite right on the ground and caused the plane to literally lose some parts in the air and crash. More than half the passengers died. As for the maintenance guys responsible, they were all locked up. Accident, yes, not intentional, but innocent people paid the ultimate price for the maintenance guys' negligence. Those who survived still had to deal with the trauma and some nasty injuries. The maintenance guys deserved their jail time, nothing more, nothing less.

Boba
March 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Things like this make me proud to be an Arkie. :downs:

Bodzilla
March 18th, 2009, 08:28 PM
QFT. This reminds me of a case in 1985 where a Japan Airlines flight crashed in the hills - and it was traced back to some maintenance guys who didn't do the procedure quite right on the ground and caused the plane to literally lose some parts in the air and crash. More than half the passengers died. As for the maintenance guys responsible, they were all locked up. Accident, yes, not intentional, but innocent people paid the ultimate price for the maintenance guys' negligence. Those who survived still had to deal with the trauma and some nasty injuries. The maintenance guys deserved their jail time, nothing more, nothing less.
totally comparable as well!