PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever...

ChemicalFizz
March 17th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Heard a song that genuinely made you cry?

I googled "songs that actually made you cry" and all I got were people telling of classic songs like Johnny Cash's works, Nine Inch Nail's Hurt, and Faith Hill's songs. As good as they were, they weren't actual tear-jerkers. They were more like nostalgia and love-yearning.

There are only two instances when I genuinely cried (for a good amount too, like 10 minutes straight. That's a lot for a fictional song)

1. John Mayer - Stop This Train
I know a lot of people hate this guy but his songwriting skills are undeniably good. He dedicated the song to his parents, and that's just exactly what I thought of: my parents.

2. Lifehouse - From Where You Are
This one was actually a part of Allstate's ad campaign for promoting safer teen driving. Apart from that reason, again, I thought of family when I heard this, particularly sister being in college.

You can also mention movies that genuinely made you shed a tear.

I cried during Homeless to Harvard: The Liz Murray Story (it became a Lifetime channel regular classic movie). Bawled during the scene when her dad signed her up for the public school and says goodbye while Liz cries.

Try not to make fun of manliness, I think things like this happen to the best of us

mech
March 17th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I haven't cried since I was about 10.

TVTyrant
March 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Bruce Springsteen-The River
Makes he think of my Grandparents everytime :'(

RobertGraham
March 17th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Ozzy Osbourne - Mama I'm Coming Home
This song reminds me of my dad. He was on the Cole during the bombing in Yemen. Thank god he was sleeping and skipped lunch that day. :smith:

Abdurahman
March 17th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evanescence - My Immortal

I listen to it and it made me shed some tears.

legionaire45
March 17th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Music has never made me cry; it has made me think and reminisce but I've never cried from a song or movie.

Heathen
March 17th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Same, never cried to music, movies, or cried out of joy.

Phopojijo
March 17th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Well to make someone cry they obviously need to find some connection to the song. Some nerve has to be hit. Music itself does drive a lot of emotions, and it rarely has anything to do with the lyrics.

That's basically what entertainment is really all about... playing with your audiences emotions to drive your intended result.

Boo Diddly
March 18th, 2009, 12:17 AM
After playing the third Legend of Spyro game for 5 hours and getting to the end, almost did cry during the credits. It was just one of those stories that ended in a sad sort of way then having music during the credits that fit perfectly.

Then again I can laugh during a horror film. /shrug

ultama121
March 18th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Hmm... I very rarely cry to songs, but there are some that make me rather emotional.

I have cried to one song though, but it was in accompaniment to one of the saddest animes ever soooooooo... v:embarrassed:v The song is quite emotional though... its all instrumental.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECIDt5Mbz50&fmt=18

In terms of songs that make me emotional... jebus. There's a lot. I'll start with the non-weeaboo shit first. :V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIUA9105GKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIMQip_cjLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVRCy6wsHts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDlC7oG_2W4
Can't be arsed to get more. :v:

Now for the weeaboo stufffffffffffffffff... (Mostly Instrumental, so even if you don't like anishit and shit you may)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSkHhtF7iJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjWNStiysXU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bScK51HGU8E (Well barely has lyrics :p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV6eDvgiG4 (Latin lyrics)
I could go on for a long time...

Bodzilla
March 18th, 2009, 01:05 AM
i havnt cried to the songs, but i've had them playing after i've been to say a funeral.

Had a fella i knew since when i was a kid, basically grew up together. He committed suicide and i cant fingure out why, no one can seeing as he had it so good. Just a really really nice guy.
i screamed home in my car and just blasted some music and then eventually Deftones - Digital bath, and Change go to me and i just broke down.

FluffyDuckyâ„¢
March 18th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I'm emotional, I've cried listening to a song, can't remember what one though. I also cry during movies, I LOVE CRYINGGG! Kinda refreshes you. :)

paladin
March 18th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I cry to every song I hear.

n00b1n8R
March 18th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I was going to say "never" but then I remembered that song at the end of That Al Gore doco.
It was probably had more to do with the "GODDAMNITHUMANSAAAARGH" rage I felt in that movie though.

RobertGraham
March 18th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I'm emotional, I've cried listening to a song, can't remember what one though. I also cry during movies, I LOVE CRYINGGG! Kinda refreshes you. :)
I cried during the movie "Crash"

thehoodedsmack
March 18th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I haven't gotten emotional over media since I was 11, when I saw "We Were Soldiers". Y'know that part where they picked up the burnt guy and the skin on his legs slides off? That pretty well traumatized me. =_=

p0lar_bear
March 18th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Been to funeral homes twice, trying to suck it up and not cry, but the music they often play softly in the background just makes you break down regardless...

Cojafoji
March 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Let me preface my rather long winded selections with this: music is a very odd thing for me, and my tastes are eclectic to say the least.

Either version of Hurt by Reznor or Cash.

Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show. That shit crawled inside of me while I was on shrooms. It's like a part of my fucking soul now.

You're a God by Vertical Horizon. Yes, I know the song is gay, but fuck you.

Superman by Five for Fighting. Depressing as fuck.

Wings for Marie by Tool. That shit made me fucking breakdown...

All Prayed Out by Thomas Newman. That one got me bad...

Limited
March 18th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I haven't cried since I was about 10.
Lie.

I've never cried because of just listening to a song, there would be an underlining connection and is triggered by the song. I've been choked up listening to a few songs (because of past situations) but never litterally burst into tears.

I have choked up and eyes watered out of joy, it was bizarre.

Syuusuke
March 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I've only cried from reading sad books/plots.

Music helps me relate what events have occurred to me to what the song is about, kinda helps me move along.

Ifafudafi
March 18th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Being the faggot I am, I was listening to the Austin Symphony two years ago and they played some piece that had me (and pretty much the entire audience) in tears. Not bawling, just silent little drops.

I still hate myself for not looking that thing up the second I got back home. Now I can't even remember the name. :smith:

teh lag
March 18th, 2009, 03:10 PM
The one time a song on its own made me cry was 4 years ago when me and my family were listening to "Let it Be" the day after my mother died (as it was one of her favorite songs) - though that was more from the situation as a whole, not just the song itself. I would imagine that almost any song she played a lot would have done that to me as well. I still can't really listen to it without getting a little choked up.

Otherwise, I haven't really cried from a song alone, but I've gotten pretty close to (if not actually) crying from songs in the background of a particularly emotional scene, which makes the song at least give me the shivers listening to it the next few times. The "Come, Sweet Death" scene from End of Evangelion did that, can't think of any others off of the top of my head.

E : As far as other stuff... The end of King Kong got me pretty depressed, as did Grizzly Man (for those who don't know, a documentary about a guy who spent his summers living around wild grizzly bears and ended up being killed along with his girlfriend). Bowling for Columbine made me cry when they played the 911 tapes. Other stuff too, but I can't remember it right now.

Bodzilla
March 20th, 2009, 04:55 AM
this song gets to me.

always has

Amy lee of evanescence singing Lithium.
V4aiH0AiXBE
My dream women.

Sel
March 20th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Then again I can laugh during a horror film. /shrug

That's because horror films are fucking pathetic. I watched a bunch of the freddy movies with a friend and didn't find them scary at all. I still can't figure out whether the movie was supposed to be comedic or not..

mech
March 20th, 2009, 09:30 AM
They're supposed to be terrible Yuki, because since all of them are that must be what their genre is.

English Mobster
March 21st, 2009, 10:38 AM
I don't cry.
Yes I do.
I DON'T.
Lies.
NEVER.
Try "Momma's Gonna Buy You a Mockingbird"
EVER.

LunawolfGirl
March 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
I've never heard a song that's actually made me cry, unless I was already upset about something and it just broke the damn.

The few songs that have got me close are Evanescence's "Solitude" and "Breathe No More"

Amy Lee just has such an amazing, sorrowful voice, and combined with such strong lyrics like the ones she writes, the product is amazing.

Rosco
March 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM
I don't cry over songs, but hell some make me feel good :-)