PDA

View Full Version : Co-op mod?

007useless
March 21st, 2009, 11:13 AM
Just out of curiosity, is there any way to make a co-op stage for Halo CE?

teh lag
March 21st, 2009, 11:16 AM
No.

AI cannot sync (meaning that their actions from one player's perspective will be the same for all others) online. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. The only way to make AI "work" is to pre-set all of their actions and replay them, and even that doesn't work so well (ex : someone joins mid-game) and is not practical to implement for an entire solo level.

sdavis117
March 21st, 2009, 11:17 AM
General rule:

If the map has AI, don't play online.

Inferno
March 21st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Unless its Malolos little co-op mod that actually did sync decently. Although the AI couldn't move and it didn't sync who they were shooting at. It was fun.

Above rule still applies though.

007useless
March 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM
But what if you don't want an AI. You want to play with a friend to join the game so you can complete it together.

Inferno
March 21st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Explain that because I'm not sure what you mean.

Syuusuke
March 21st, 2009, 11:29 AM
Then that would be called a multiplayer map which already exists in abundance.

Look, when they say AI, they mean the things you kill too, covenant and such, not an AI pardner. Sure you can have someone play with you, but it won't be a pleasant experience.

Sever
March 21st, 2009, 11:32 AM
You don't get it - the AI controls the enemies, not a bot that works with you. The Elites, Marines, Flood, Sentinels, and whatever else you have in the map, won't synchronize from one player's game to another, since each game creates their own instances which react to the players differently.

007useless
March 21st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Yea I understand now. I kinda confused myself there Sorry.

bobbysoon
March 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM
I think AI may be useful for MP in other ways though, like having AI attach themselves to newly spawned players, they could be used by a script to determine which team a given player is on. Or if an AI followed a team and avoided the enemy team, it could be used as a moving spawn point with object_attach & object_detach

Cortexian
March 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
I think AI may be useful for MP in other ways though, like having AI attach themselves to newly spawned players, they could be used by a script to determine which team a given player is on. Or if an AI followed a team and avoided the enemy team, it could be used as a moving spawn point with object_attach & object_detach
It would still lag like hell and not sync properly at all, syncing non-players in Halo CE won't ever happen. At least not without something like Open Sauce.

Rob Oplawar
March 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM
God I wish it could be done. There's just no way, though. It would be amazing for BCE. Sigh. I'll keep dreaming.

Rhydgaled
March 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM
As far as I know the reason co-op worked on the XBOX was because it was spilt screen on one machine. If somebody was really good at programing and used open sauce they might one day be able to make split-screen play for HALO Custom Edition, allowing co-op. Unfortunatly even if bringing back split-screen is possible with Open Sauce I don't expect to see it made, at least not any time soon (many, myself included, can't even get it to compile the release build and then run halo without any exceptions).

Advancebo
March 21st, 2009, 06:17 PM
Just put the content on a different game engine/problem solved

KiLLa
March 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Yea...suuure buddy..if ya like law suits that is..
You ever heard of you know...intellictual property?
Look into it..

Con
March 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
...with object_attach & object_detach
I did this once :) the game usually crashes a short while later

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/984/lolnqj.jpg

bobbysoon
March 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Is that a server-side attach?

the1
April 15th, 2009, 02:35 AM
just get an Xbox XD

bobbysoon
April 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Did microsoft pay you to post that?

sdavis117
April 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Theoretically if you used an immobile AI that could shoot at multiple targets simultaneously, you could get the AI to sync. But other then that, Online, and even LAN, Co-op would be impossible. But if someone were to re-enable split screen for Halo PC, you could have local Co-op. I don't know if that code still exists for Halo PC though.

Inferno
April 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
But if someone were to re-enable split screen for Halo PC, you could have local Co-op. I don't know if that code still exists for Halo PC though.
I want this. I'm sure they removed it though or we would already have discovered it.

bobbysoon
April 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
not gonna happen without Sauce (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10685)

Inferno
April 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
If I knew anything besides how to do addition and subtraction in c++ I would be working on it.

April 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I don't know if any of you have noticed, but there is a way to sync where the AI are in the map, although it doesn't get rid of the bipeds that come up clientside or exactly where they're shooting at. Adolif has a tutorial on it in the Halomods forums. I've tested it out a bit, and it seems to work fine, although you'd have to spawn the AI somewhere else and use a teleport script or something to get them into the play area without the bipeds being thrown all over the place. It isn't the greatest thing, but it's the most efficient way to make AI work for the most part, that I can think of.

The tutorial. (http://www.halomods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=66956)

p0lar_bear
April 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I don't know if any of you have noticed, but there is a way to sync where the AI are in the map, although it doesn't get rid of the bipeds that come up clientside or exactly where they're shooting at. Adolif has a tutorial on it in the Halomods forums. I've tested it out a bit, and it seems to work fine, although you'd have to spawn the AI somewhere else and use a teleport script or something to get them into the play area without the bipeds being thrown all over the place. It isn't the greatest thing, but it's the most efficient way to make AI work for the most part, that I can think of.

The tutorial. (http://www.halomods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=66956)
Wouldn't that look like craep though? Vehicle positions do sync, but health, animations, etc don't, as evidenced by someone controlling themselves with rec0's app while they sit in the gunner or passenger seat of a warthog.

April 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'm not certain, but it seemed like it was fine on the sentinels I was toying with in my map.

PwN Lone
April 17th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I'm not certain, but it seemed like it was fine on the sentinels I was toying with in my map.

Thats because Ai sync for the host,t hey do not sync client-side. Thus anyone to join your game will see different version of the same AI, and random bipeds standing around.

April 17th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I tested it in multiplayer with another person, the things were in the same place. Don't assume I know nothing about this, and that I wouldn't have someone else checking it out on the client side...

As it is, you can tell with sentinels for a good reason- when they fire the lasers, you see them appearing from thin air as well when you don't have things synced with this trick, if there is another player on the server. I've seen them pop up from midair when there's no visible AI there, and been able to use it as a way to pinpoint it's location and shoot it, which it subseqently shot at me and began damaging me, even though you could not see the biped there.