PDA

View Full Version : Halo CE dedi in linux

goye2cz
March 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Hey,

I'm interested in trying to run a halo dedi on my linux server. I got a dedi to run on another linux box today but was unable to test it because I don't have another machine with the game installed. I guess all was fine except that I don't know how to tell it to look in an alternate location for gametypes and I suppose I will have to tell linux to open some ports? I'm running Kubuntu Hardy Heron... but I'm planning to use DSL on the other machine.

Anybody out there already doing this? Any help? THX

Cortexian
March 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
I don't think anyone runs the dedicated server on Linux seriously, if it's been done it's probably just been done to test it out. Plus you wouldn't be able to use any server apps very well on your Linux box.

sdavis117
March 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
How about some WINE (http://www.winehq.org/)?

Unless I missed someone releasing a Halo CE dedi that can run on Linux without WINE.

Cortexian
March 23rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
How about some WINE (http://www.winehq.org/)?

Unless I missed someone releasing a Halo CE dedi that can run on Linux without WINE.
You didn't miss it, and I bet it'll never happen.

goye2cz
March 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM
If you don't know, then feel free not to answer. :) BTW, like I said, I already got it to run, I just wasn't able to test it.

Cortexian
March 24th, 2009, 01:27 PM
If you don't know, then feel free not to answer. :) BTW, like I said, I already got it to run, I just wasn't able to test it.
Like I said, no one runs a server seriously on Linux so I doubt you'll find any answers. There's no need to get defensive.

goye2cz
March 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Not defensive at all. I just don't see why people answer a thread they have no answer to. Cheers.

Cortexian
March 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Not defensive at all. I just don't see why people answer a thread they have no answer to. Cheers.
Because I did have an answer, even though it wasn't one you didn't want to hear. I've been an active and distinguished member of the CE community since the day the game was released, so I would have at least heard a tidbit of information if there was a Linux dedicated server available. Therefore I figured I'd let you know that you're most likely not going to find any answers from anyone else here.

I'm not attempting to flaunt my "e-peen", just letting you know. On contrary to the popular belief, a lot of us do actually know what we're talking about. ANd I've never heard of a working Halo CE Dedicated server on Linux with the exception of WINE based setups.

For windows however I know you need to open ports 80, 2302, and 2303, as well as whatever port you set your server to use. Generally you would use the command line parameter "-port <value>" to specify a custom port. For the game paths you would use the "-path" parameter and point it to the "savegames" directory.

goye2cz
March 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info. Not so much that it's what I didn't want to know, it's what I didn't ask for.

Thanks for your CV though, I'll keep it on file.

supersniper
March 24th, 2009, 06:34 PM
... so your are wondering if people can join the server. And you can't test it yourself.
Try this easier way of what freelancer said (which I don't know why people dont do)

Change your in game ports by opening up halo ce then go to settings then network connections then change 2302 to 2303 adn 2303 to 2304

Then join your server and see if it works.

goye2cz
March 25th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks for that suggestion. The thing is, I'm running linux. I have succesfully started the dedi but was unable to start the halo ce game in linux, so that won't help me. :)

Cortexian
March 25th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Wait, are you trying to play Halo CE in Linux as well as run your server? Enjoy your horrible performance.

goye2cz
March 25th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Please, reread. No wait... stop wasting your time.

ShadowSpartan
March 25th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Please, reread. No wait... stop wasting your time.
There is no need to be rude like that, Freelancer is just trying to help you. If you continue with this behavior, I see yourself not lasting very long on this website.

Choking Victim
March 25th, 2009, 08:10 AM
There is no need to be rude like that, Freelancer is just trying to help you. If you continue with this behavior, I see yourself not lasting very long on this website.
I believe backseat moderation is against the rules...Then again, so is telling someone their breaking a rule. Paradox?

goye2cz
March 25th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would think I'm being rude... just commenting about replies not being helpful... putting in a little humor. I guess you're a touchy bunch. I'll watch my step. Wouldn't want anyone getting bent out of shape. :)

Cortexian
March 25th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I believe backseat moderation is against the rules...Then again, so is telling someone they're breaking a rule. Paradox?
Learn to spell nub. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I don't get your statement... Telling someone they're breaking a rule IS backseat moderation, yet you make them sound different. The AUP makes my head spin round and roun'...

Choking Victim
March 25th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Learn to spell nub. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I don't get your statement... Telling someone they're breaking a rule IS backseat moderation, yet you make them sound different. The AUP makes my head spin round and roun'...
I suppose you're right, but the comment wasn't meant to be taken as seriously as you are. As for the statement, it was a satirical remark showcasing the paradox of telling someone their doing something wrong, while you yourself are doing something wrong in the process.

Cortexian
March 25th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I suppose you're right, but the comment wasn't meant to be taken as seriously as you are. As for the statement, it was a satirical remark showcasing the paradox of telling someone their doing something wrong, while you yourself are doing something wrong in the process.
SHUTUP YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Choking Victim
March 25th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I don't think I like you.

teh lag
March 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Wow. Stop that.

supersniper
March 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Here's some linux halo ce info.

http://wmclan.net/halolinux/
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11925
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3953
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qa1ZR0LEkc

Enjoy and kudos to E3pO

.Wolf™
March 26th, 2009, 05:02 PM
What he needs help with is getting a working Dedicated server running on Linux.Not how to actually play the game..Im sure he alredy have done that..

Cortexian
March 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM
What he needs help with is getting a working Dedicated server running on Linux.Not how to actually play the game..Im sure he alredy have done that..
No, he said he already had the dedicated server working. He wanted to know which ports needed to be open, and how to change the path for gametypes. I already answered his questions.