PDA

View Full Version : Using XBL Through a laptop...

ThePlague
March 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM
That is using Ubuntu Linux. I know how to do it using Windows XP and Windows 7, but I have no idea about Linux. If you don't get what I mean, here's an example:

| - Ethernet Cable
Laptop
| - Wireless Internet
Router

Sharing the internet from the laptop using an ethernet cable.

Do I need to do anything to get it to work? If so, what are the steps on doing so?

p0lar_bear
March 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM
What you need to do is bridge the wireless network connection to the wired one; a software configuration. I don't know how Ubuntu works, however, so I can't tell you exactly how to do that. Make sure your XBox is off and the cable is disconnected before you bridge them; when I didn't do that in XP, the laptop got confused as to which connection was for internet!

I did it a bunch of times when I wanted to play my XBox in the living room, which is on the exact opposite end of the house as my router.

e: Searched for "Ubuntu Bridge Connections," got this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkConnectionBridge).

ThePlague
March 25th, 2009, 06:49 PM
When I did it on XP, I never bridged connections. All I did was this:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/Hazard1337/3-1.png

I'll read up on the thing you linked to though, just incase.

Cortexian
March 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I'm surprised Ubuntu isn't Vista-esk in this area... In Vista all you do is select both adapters on the adapter list, right-click and select "Bridge Connections".

ThePlague
March 25th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I read up on that website you linked to p0lar_bear, but I am running Ubuntu, not Kubuntu. I don't know if there is a difference, but I don't want to screw things up.

klange
March 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I read up on that website you linked to p0lar_bear, but I am running Ubuntu, not Kubuntu. I don't know if there is a difference, but I don't want to screw things up.
bridge_utils is purely CLI; that article should never even mention Kubuntu - clearly someone wasn't thinking when they wrote it.

ThePlague
March 26th, 2009, 03:04 PM
E:
I'm stuck on this part:

Open Konsole and use the following commands. Note that when interfaces are referenced, they refer to device names assigned by linux such as "eth0" and "eth1". Also note that myBridge is the name of the bridge that you wish to have. This can be anything, but a simple name like bridge0 or bridge1 is suggested.

ifconfig <interface 1> 0.0.0.0 <<BR>>
ifconfig <interface 2> 0.0.0.0 <<BR>>
brctl addbr <bridge name> <<BR>>
brctl addif <bridge name> <interface 1> <<BR>>
brctl addif <bridge name> <interface 2> <<BR>>ifconfig <bridge name> up
In lines 1-2 we simply prepared the devices to be bridged. In line 3, we added a new bridge named myBridge (whatever you named your bridge). In lines 4-5, we added interface1 and interface2 to myBridge. In line 6, we made the bridge operational. For more information on commands: use the Konsole command brctl

I tried typing in that stuff, but when I pressed enter it just kept adding ">" marks instead of loading the code.

klange
March 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Did you fill in the bridge name, interface names, and... wow. That's just poor style. Everywhere it says <<br>> I think you should just hit enter... Could be formatting codes from the old Documentation wiki...

ThePlague
March 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Did you fill in the bridge name, interface names, and... wow. That's just poor style. Everywhere it says <<br>> I think you should just hit enter... Could be formatting codes from the old Documentation wiki...
I filled in the bridge name. And lol, I thought you were supposed to type <<br>>. I'm soo stupid.

E: Tried typing it in one thing at a time and it says:

bash: interface: No suck file or directoryWhy is this so stupid?

Limited
March 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Sorry I cant help ya, all I'm going to say is good luck.

I couldnt even get the bastard to work on XP.

klange
March 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I filled in the bridge name. And lol, I thought you were supposed to type <<br>>. I'm soo stupid.

E: Tried typing it in one thing at a time and it says:
Why is this so stupid?
Post exactly what you're typing...

ThePlague
March 26th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I was typing exactly what it said to, which was "ifconfig <interface 1> 0.0.0.0" and it gave me that error.

I really suck with Linux...but i'll learn this summer indefinitely.

klange
March 26th, 2009, 10:19 PM
You need to replace <interface 1> with an interface, ie eth0.

ThePlague
March 26th, 2009, 10:20 PM
You need to replace <interface 1> with an interface, ie eth0.
Thought so. But how would I know which interface to place there?

klange
March 27th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Thought so. But how would I know which interface to place there?
One of them is your wireless and one is your wired...

ThePlague
March 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I seriously have no idea what to put as the interfaces...Do I put Auto eth0 (wired connection) as interface 1, and 2WIRE097 (wireless connection) as interface 2? Because when I tried that it gave me the "bash: Auto: no such file or directory" stuff again.

klange
March 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM
You probably want something along these lines:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.101 # I'm not sure about these being regular IPs or if you
ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.150 # actually want 0.0.0.0; try both ways... (also, change these to suit your network)
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1
ifconfig br0 up

ThePlague
March 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Locking because I got another HD and put XP on it...