PDA

View Full Version : Pizza vending machine...makes pizza in 3 min!

Mr Buckshot
April 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/03/lets-pizza-italian-italy-pizza-vending-machine.html

http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20090314-vendo.jpg

We're used to getting coffee, soda, candy, and chips from a vending machine. Now, according to the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/14/business/worldbusiness/14vend.html), if Claudio Torghele has his way, Italians and eventually Americans will be able to get a made-while-you-watch, freshly baked pizza from a vending machine.

The machine does not just slip a frozen pizza into a microwave. It actually whips up flour, water, tomato sauce, and fresh ingredients to produce a piping hot pizza in about three minutes.

The customer presses a button to choose one of four varieties—Margherita (plain cheese and tomato sauce), bacon, ham or fresh greens. A plastic container dumps flour into a drum resembling a tiny washing machine; a squirt of water follows, and the drum goes into a spin cycle, forming a blob of dough that is then pressed flat to form a 12-inch disk.
Tomato paste is squirted onto the dough and cheese is added before it is lifted into a small infrared oven. The baked pizza then slips onto a cardboard tray and out into the customer’s waiting hands. Mr. Torghele says the pizza will cost as little $4.50, depending on the variety.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20090314-pizzadetail.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23819997@N03/3297250362/)
Photograph from popaitaly on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23819997@N03/3297250362/)
From the looks of this photo we found on Flickr, this pizza is more of a novelty item than an object of desire. It may be made fresh before your eyes, but it certainly looks like a frozen pizza, doesn't it?

The pizza may not look great (it is machine made, vs hand-made), but I'm still interested. Pizza Hut and Dominos and Little Caesar's aren't cheap, especially when you get them delivered.

These things would be great additions to school cafeterias and university food courts. Arguably, you could just head to Safeway and buy a frozen pizza, but then you have to bake it in the oven, and university dorms typically don't have ovens. This instant-pizza-vending machine would certainly address that problem. Three minutes to make the whole pizza, versus 10 minutes to preheat the oven and another 10 to bake a frozen one...I'm for it.

Anyone interested in seeing these nifty vending machines in town soon?

Cortexian
April 4th, 2009, 09:10 PM
That's fucking awesome. I want one beside my computer.

Mr Buckshot
April 4th, 2009, 09:12 PM
LOL me too, you still gotta keep it loaded with sauce and flour and so on though. But man my high school could use at least 5 of these machines right now (pizza is the most popular item in my school's cafeteria, although I almost never buy school lunches as they're overpriced).

Limited
April 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
fresh, from a fucking vending machine? Your having a laugh right? Ridiculous statement, just like the machine.

Theres a reason the current vending machines have everything wrapped up nicely, hygiene. I can see this pizza machine getting moudly, ingredients going off, loads of problem.

And dont say "oh they will just come clean it every day, change the ingredients".

Thats completely running the fact its a vending machine, and not just a regular pizza creating machine, vending machines were invented so they didnt have to be managed all the time, completely automated service thats cost effective.

Con
April 4th, 2009, 10:34 PM
just hope it doesn't jam

Cortexian
April 4th, 2009, 10:34 PM
It wouldn't be that hard to seal off all the ingredients until they hit the pizza.

Mr Buckshot
April 4th, 2009, 10:44 PM
fresh, from a fucking vending machine? Your having a laugh right? Ridiculous statement, just like the machine.

Theres a reason the current vending machines have everything wrapped up nicely, hygiene. I can see this pizza machine getting moudly, ingredients going off, loads of problem.

And dont say "oh they will just come clean it every day, change the ingredients".

Thats completely running the fact its a vending machine, and not just a regular pizza creating machine, vending machines were invented so they didnt have to be managed all the time, completely automated service thats cost effective.

There are vending machines in Japan that serve hot ramen noodle soup and more. This pizza vending machine shouldn't be much different from those when it comes to maintenance and hygiene.

Hotrod
April 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM
That does look pretty awesome, I'd be interesting in tasting the pizza that comes out of that.

Mr Buckshot
April 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Btw, it needs a "cheese-stuffed crust" option :P I really love that kind, used to buy it from Safeway every once in a while back when I lived in California.

Kudos to the developers for making it such that the dough is freshly prepared from flour/water too rather than have some frozen crap.

RobertGraham
April 4th, 2009, 11:14 PM
This is pretty awesome IMO. On the way home, I want a bite to eat so I just drop by the Pizzamatic or w/e the hell they call it. Profit.

LlamaMaster
April 4th, 2009, 11:58 PM
OH MY GOD I WANT ONE

It's about time we have a good invention.

Rook
April 5th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I work at dominos, my hours rely on business.

This machine needs to fail. :highfive:

Mr Buckshot
April 5th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I work at dominos, my hours rely on business.

This machine needs to fail. :highfive:

It's ok, when your business goes down you can get another job as the guy who refills the machines :P

Cool thing is, pizza was invented in Italy and this machine was invented by an Italian.

Cortexian
April 5th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Btw, it needs a "cheese-stuffed crust" option :P I really love that kind, used to buy it from Safeway every once in a while back when I lived in California.

Kudos to the developers for making it such that the dough is freshly prepared from flour/water too rather than have some frozen crap.
Stuffed crusts are the best.

Bodzilla
April 5th, 2009, 01:17 AM
heh.

you people dont know how to cook pizzas properly.
it's all about the wood fire pizza over baby.

itszutak
April 5th, 2009, 01:19 AM
3 minutes?

Better hope there's no line. Seems a bit counter-intuitive to the whole idea of a vending machine.

Still, very cool concept.

Mr Buckshot
April 5th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Probably won't taste quite as good as the hand-made ones you get delivered from dominos, pizza hut, whatever, but 3 minutes + low price is still damn inviting.

Amit
April 5th, 2009, 04:13 PM
LOL me too, you still gotta keep it loaded with sauce and flour and so on though. But man my high school could use at least 5 of these machines right now (pizza is the most popular item in my school's cafeteria, although I almost never buy school lunches as they're overpriced).

As is the case here in the GTA. However, Little Caeser's Hot N Fresh mediums are only $5 too.

Future.

That does look pretty awesome, I'd be interesting in tasting the pizza that comes out of that.

That seals it. It's awesome approved by the Modacity Canadians!

Hotrod
April 5th, 2009, 04:15 PM
hat seals it. It's awesome approved by the Modacity Canadians!
Hoorah! Go Canada!

I wonder if this makes Canadian pizza?

Mr Buckshot
April 5th, 2009, 04:38 PM
That seals it. It's awesome approved by the Modacity Canadians!

haha yeah, most of the replies here are from us Canadians!

cheezdue
April 5th, 2009, 05:19 PM
That's fucking awesome. I want one inside my computer.

ftfy.:)

Sel
April 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
sweeeet

Mr Buckshot
April 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM
The article says the flavours currently offered are cheese-only, ham, and veggie.

We need sausage and chicken and hawaiian too.

RobertGraham
April 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
What the fuck, no pepperoni?

Limited
April 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hmm, seems I was a lil over critical.

Wish I had one of those machines right now, god a pizza would be good right now.

But yea, sucks theres limited flavours, pepperoni ftw.

Mr Buckshot
April 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I just had pizza for dinner. It didn't come from this vending machine, unfortunately.

mech
April 5th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Look's like a shitty frozen pizza got put in a microwave.

Varmint260
April 6th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Considering the horrific quality of pizza that's available in my town... I bet this thing could probably make better pizza than any of them. Do want (from another Modacity Canadian).

Mr Buckshot
April 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Sneak aboard a BC Ferry and come to the lower mainland for superior pizza :P